WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

Skyway

I for one do not like this because I believe there is too many entrances into Walt Disney World anyway.

There has ALWAYS been an entrance behind the MK. It sounds like this is basically relocating that northern entrance a few hundred yards west (even if the existing Center Drive remains open to Reams)

Depending on where you're coming from and going within WDW, I think many GPS devices actually route tourists through Center Drive, something Disney is helpless to control. They do need a northern entrance with a bit more capacity, avoiding the speedbumps and CM crosswalks.

rct247

I've heard about this happening too. I just didn't know that it would connect all the way to Floridian Way.

SpectroPhoenix

Actually, you can already get into the MK parking lot without going through a toll plaza. To fix the loophole, they just have to block off the "Return to MK Parking" left exit from Floridian Way, problem solved. Not a huge deal, not many people know about that way anyhow. I predict that eventually they will be forced to build a new toll plaza anyway, further up near the speedway on the east side. That way all the resort traffic won't need to go through the Toll Plaza.

*edit* I think there is some sort of contractual thing with that service station to re-enter the MK parking lot without going through that toll plaza again... so that contract would need to be amended as well in the meantime... unless they build a bridge.

The problem with removing this "Return to MK parking" left exit is that's the overflow solution for the resorts in the area. For example, on Sunday, I tried to meet up with some friends over at the Contemporary to check out the hotel and maybe grab a bite to eat, but because of the Christmas Party and the holiday crowds, I was redirected to park at the TTC and take a monorail to the Contemporary. I don't know anything about traffic patterns, but it'd be great if they could still have the overflow but remove the "free" detour.

Jakester

Regarding Entrances to the WDW Property, here are aerials of each entrance to the property
image.jpg

1. Epcot/Downtown Disney I4 exit
image.jpg

2. Crossroads at Hotel Plaza Blvd and County Road 535
image.jpg

3. Distribution. (vista way takes you towards golden oak, fort wilderness, and eventually pops out at Magic Kingdom Parking Area. N Buena Vista takes you to Downtown Disney)
image.jpg

4. Reams Road
image.jpg

5. Western Way off Toll Road 429
image.jpg

6. Sherberth Rd ( takes you to US192 )
image.jpg

7. World Drive ( also intersects US 192 and is the main Magic Kingdom I4 exit route )
image.jpg

8. Osceola Parkway.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
The problem with removing this "Return to MK parking" left exit is that's the overflow solution for the resorts in the area. For example, on Sunday, I tried to meet up with some friends over at the Contemporary to check out the hotel and maybe grab a bite to eat, but because of the Christmas Party and the holiday crowds, I was redirected to park at the TTC and take a monorail to the Contemporary. I don't know anything about traffic patterns, but it'd be great if they could still have the overflow but remove the "free" detour.
Not sure what you really mean by this... You'd still be able to access all that from that side if they closed the "Return to MK Parking" left exit, you just would need to drive a little farther on World Drive to get to the "Return to Magic Kingdom Resort Area" left exit. That takes you back through the toll plaza again, but you can still get to that lot.

Macca250

Forgive me if I'm not understanding this correctly, but if this new north gate is for guest use, does that mean they'll be driving by the backstage West Clock area? So that they'd able to see the shop buildings, Disney Uni. Etc? I'm all for an additional gate, but I'd hate guests to be able see that area.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Forgive me if I'm not understanding this correctly, but if this new north gate is for guest use, does that mean they'll be driving by the backstage West Clock area? So that they'd able to see the shop buildings, Disney Uni. Etc? I'm all for an additional gate, but I'd hate guests to be able see that area.

Guests are already doing it now. That's not a restricted area right now, either.

aladdin2007

Guests are already doing it now. That's not a restricted area right now, either.

I always thought that if you drive straight past the contemporary you end up at the MK cast parking and arent allowed to go that far.....so really you can and it connects to another road?

ryguy

Can someone show where the fireworks are launched from using google earth pic. Also there is a good chunk of land northwest of the GF what is that designated on the reedy creek maps? Is it set aside for future development or is it wildlife protection?

71jason

I always thought that if you drive straight past the contemporary you end up at the MK cast parking and arent allowed to go that far.....so really you can and it connects to another road?

Agreed, it definitely feels like backstage, but that eventually connects to Apopka-Vineland with minimal effort, all public roads. There is a lot of housing back there--primarily but not exclusively CMs--and this is by far the quickest way to get on property, avoiding 535.

Jeffxz

Can someone show where the fireworks are launched from using google earth pic. Also there is a good chunk of land northwest of the GF what is that designated on the reedy creek maps? Is it set aside for future development or is it wildlife protection?

Type this in to google: +28° 25' 24.99", -81° 34' 52.29"

Last edited:

Alektronic

It is not intended for guest use, it was intended for MK and North Service Area cast members, but the changes are to adjust traffic patterns and reduce congestion at the Reams Rd and Center Dr. From the prints, it looks like they are adding a lot MK cast parking, which they need. They are going to restrict you from making a left turn on to Center Dr from Reams Rd and from making a left turn onto Reams Rd from Center Dr because that really backs up traffic during the busy times. Floridian Way then becomes the main entrance for MK cast parking

asianway

You've always been able to drive from Contemporary to the shop. There used to be a guard shack by the shop that would block you from getting to Reams but they shut that years ago at least 15 I think

WDW95

I do wonder if this is ever going to happen. Unlike the other entrances to WDW, where the lead directly to major roads in commercial areas, this one would lead to a small country road with residential units. I wouldn't be surprised if there is opposition from local residents for fear of increased guest traffic.

71jason

Local residents in this area don't have a lot of political sway--it's far too transient, and most work for the Mouse anyway, would prefer a quicker route.

I do wonder if this ties into a rumored plan to block off the road near Golden Oak. I think the Spirit alluded to that months ago. Memory is hazy, too lazy to search, tho.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
It is not intended for guest use, it was intended for MK and North Service Area cast members, but the changes are to adjust traffic patterns and reduce congestion at the Reams Rd and Center Dr. From the prints, it looks like they are adding a lot MK cast parking, which they need. They are going to restrict you from making a left turn on to Center Dr from Reams Rd and from making a left turn onto Reams Rd from Center Dr because that really backs up traffic during the busy times. Floridian Way then becomes the main entrance for MK cast parking
All of that new parking has been completed already... and it's still not large enough in all honesty.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
I do wonder if this is ever going to happen. Unlike the other entrances to WDW, where the lead directly to major roads in commercial areas, this one would lead to a small country road with residential units. I wouldn't be surprised if there is opposition from local residents for fear of increased guest traffic.
Reams Rd. is not going to be a small country road for long. Reams Rd. will eventually be expanded to be 2 lanes in each direction. This entrance does make sense to all who live up there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom