WDW photography is much harder than I thought...

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
Two years ago I got my first "real" camera (a Canon rebel) after using only point-and-shoots prior to that -- my recent trip to WDW (last week) gave me a chance to try taking some better-than-a-snapshot WDW photos. In the meantime I had come across and become a fan of the photos of Tom Bricker and others.

So, now that I have for the first time attempted to take some decent photos at WDW, my admiration for those who do it really well has gone up 1000%. I got a few kind of OK photos, but nothing like the jaw-dropping stuff you see here at this site and on various flickr streams. Here's my newbie's perspective on what makes WDW photography especially challenging:

1) There are people absolutely everywhere. Just when you set up the shot you want, someone walks into the frame and inserts their unwelcome self.

2) The light is really harsh most of the day.

3) The HEAT (granted, this was a June trip) makes you want to jump in the nearest water source rather than concentrate on taking a pic.

4) It's hard not to be a drag on your family by constantly setting up and taking photos (this may or may not be issue for everyone, but it was for me -- we're infrequent visitors).

Furthermore, although I had a small tripod with me, I ended up leaving it at the hotel, because I'm a tall guy and cramming a backpack full of gear into the rides with me was pretty uncomfortable.

So, a tip of the hat to the good WDW photographers out there -- you have my respect and admiration! And moreover -- how do you do it? :)

Allen C

1) There are people absolutely everywhere. Just when you set up the shot you want, someone walks into the frame and inserts their unwelcome self.
During the day I try to be creative and incorporate people into the image. I look for CM's and street entertainers etc. and try to capture the smiles and the energy they bring into the parks.
I'd look at a Flickr group called "Disney's Human Element" - https://www.flickr.com/groups/disneyhumanelement/pool/

I usually do most of my "scenic" photography very early in the day or near sunset and into the night. Most WDW photographers will tell you that the middle of the day is for soaking in the resort pool or just enjoying the rides. The middle of the day is when I take mostly family pictures - my wife and kids enjoying themselves in the parks.
I also take full advantage of Extra Magic Hours for photography. I'm usually able to take my time, set-up my tripod and compose my shots while keeping clear of the crowds.

4)Furthermore, although I had a small tripod with me, I ended up leaving it at the hotel, because I'm a tall guy and cramming a backpack full of gear into the rides with me was pretty uncomfortable.
A tripod is essential for the way I do my night and fireworks shots. I rent a locker for the tripod and most of my gear. I usually get by with just the camera and a walk-around or prime lens during the day.

So, a tip of the hat to the good WDW photographers out there -- you have my respect and admiration! And moreover -- how do you do it? :)

Good luck and I hope you get more chances for Disney photography.

afb28

Allen pretty much nailed everything I was going to say.

Just to add a couple of things:

1) If you see photos you really like on flickr, look at the settings (if the uploader is allowing them to be seen) so you can get an idea of what it takes to capture the shot.

2) It will take time. My first few disney shots I uploaded to Flickr compared to my more recent uploads are essentially night and day. It comes from practice and also finding new ways to edit.

3) Which leads me into editing. This is generally where the photo comes to life. It's important that you get the settings and composition done in camera but generally editing is what gives it that extra oomph. And that is what it took me the longest to learn. I spent months and months on youtube just watching tons of different channels trying to find out different parts of photoshop whether it's layering, color channels masking, etc.

4) Lastly, some (not sure most of us but it feels that way) are local to either WDW or Disneyland. And when you're local you have more times when you can go and don't have to balance having an actual vacation with taking photos. Most of my trips nowadays are just short 2 hour ones for photography and that's it and usually I end up going alone as my gf gets super bored.

Just make sure to keep trying and practicing. Don't let one trip or a few trips turn you off completely. And there are really talented people on here that I'm sure can throw out pointers if you ever need help.

NowInc

I don't think any of us were knocking them out of the park on our first attempts. I know personally it took a long time to get images that I was hoping for. Lots of trial and error. The good news is that a LOT of us are very helpful in person and on line.

There are a lot of factors that go into the images we take. There is no "wrong" tool for the job, but most of us have upgraded our lenses to better suit our needs for many situations (ultra wide lenses, fisheyes, primes etc). This is an expensive hobby, no denying that.

Allen already covered a lot of what I was going to say...so I'll toss in a few last minute things that come to mind:

Tripod: If yours is a pain to carry, then look into a travel tripod. A few of us use the MeFoto brand and love them. They are light and fold up to about a foot long, and strap neatly onto a lot of camera bags.

Harsh Light: Work with it. Shoot into the sun (just dont look at it while you do it). Set the F-Stop to F11 (or higher) and you'll get some nice flares going on. Mid day obviously its not so easy as the sun is directly overhead...so thats when I typically focus on getting shots inside rides instead :)

People Everywhere: Good! Thats not always a bad thing! People in action make a photo come to life. Sometimes you just have to be patient so that you can get what you want in the shot (waiting for some people to move)...but thats a small price to pay for a good capture.

The Family: This is where your mileage may vary. I make it known that when I am in the parks with another person, that if I lag behind because I am taking a photo..to just keep going...I will catch up. I don't ever want anyone to wait on me while I do my thing, and most are ok with that.

If you have any other questions..no matter how silly it may seem..please dont hesitate. The only stupid question is the one you DONT ask :)

Gig 'Em Mickey

I'm right there with you OP. I looked at Tom Bricker's, Don Sullivan's, and NowInc's (Dreggs), and several others' photos on Flickr. NowInc does some videos too on using lightroom, photoshop and other tools on YouTube. Tremendously helpful to a noob like me. But when I saw a picture on flickr I would favorite it and also look at the settings as I was learning how each one affected the shot. Just looking at the settings really helped me figure a lot out, but I did a ton of practice before I went also. I got a lot of good ones on my trip in December. Not on their level, or even close, but I felt it was a successful trip.

I got a MeFoto Roadtrip based on recommendations here. It was great. Easy set up, fairly light weight. Easy to break down to move to another location.

I did stay in the parks each night after the family went back to the hotel. That's when I was able to get all my good shots. When I had the time to set up and really think about what I wanted. Fewer people too. But even when there were people using a longer exposure they usually don't show up much.

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
These responses are really great. I have some specific questions which I'll post soon (I'm busy now) and maybe share some of my hits and misses.

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
Here are a few more technical challenges I faced.

1) It was hard for me to settle on the right walk-around lens. I love my 50mm f/1.8 -- I love the detail and clarity of the images -- but it was just too long (on crop sensor) for most of what I wanted to shoot. My kit 18-135 is decent, but the pixels are a little "mushy" in a way I find hard to describe. I also have a 10-18, which is great, but imparts a strong flavor I don't always want, and a 40mm I didn't use because it's not different enough from the 50mm in my experience, and I like the 50 better.

2) It was hard for me to position my small travel tripod correctly -- it's only about 2 feet high -- and needs the assistance of a nearby garbage can etc. to be useful.

NowInc

Here are a few more technical challenges I faced.

1) It was hard for me to settle on the right walk-around lens. I love my 50mm f/1.8 -- I love the detail and clarity of the images -- but it was just too long (on crop sensor) for most of what I wanted to shoot. My kit 18-135 is decent, but the pixels are a little "mushy" in a way I find hard to describe. I also have a 10-18, which is great, but imparts a strong flavor I don't always want, and a 40mm I didn't use because it's not different enough from the 50mm in my experience, and I like the 50 better.

2) It was hard for me to position my small travel tripod correctly -- it's only about 2 feet high -- and needs the assistance of a nearby garbage can etc. to be useful.

I found the 50mm to be a bit too long as well on crop, which is why I typically recommend the 35mm f1.8. I got a lot of use out of that lens and its about a 50mm equivalent on a crop. I am not sure what you mean by "strong flavor" in regards to the 10-18. The lens that stayed on my crop sensor the most when I had it was the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Ultra wide and tack sharp (and reasonably priced). If ultra wide isn't your ideal useage, I can say the sigma 18-35 f1.8 is WELL worth the extra money it costs. VERY sharp and fast.

Small tripods like that are going to have their challenges. First off, make sure it can handle the weight of what you put on it, I can't stress this enough and I ALWAYS wince when I see someone with a dslr on a aluminum walmart bought tripod...its a disaster just waiting to happen. The path with tripods goes like this: You buy your first cheap tripod...and then it sits in your closet..you buy your second slightly more expensive tripod...and then THAT sits in your closet..then you splurge and spend a decent amount on a better tripod..and you use it every day. I try to impart of people that a tripod is one thing you never want to go cheap with, as its the thing thats supporting the rest of your gear. I am not saying spend $500, but for $250 you can find a lot of very acceptable choices.

sporadic

I not a "Pro" by any stretch, just one of my hobbies. As a once a year visitor with little ones, we're constantly on the move. I've never bothered with a tripod aside from my Ultrapod II which is tabletop size, but that didn't even get used on our last trip. I'll second the Tokina 11-16/2.8 on a crop body. Amazing lens. Absolutely loved it on my 7D, not enough good things to say about it. Last year however, I decided to lighten my load and sold most of my Canon glass to fund a Fuji X-T1 kit. Had neck surgery a few years and the weight was killing me. Now everything I carry fits in this little Tamrac Rally 4 bag. For me, it's all about balance. Quality glass for DSLRs gets real heavy, real quick! Once you get into "pro-sumer" type bodies, they aren't very light either. Now, if I was a local by myself and not doing rides, I'd definitely bring a tripod in at times for some nice evening shots and fireworks. I did regret however not having a tripod for the resort. We were staying at CBR and there were some nice nighttime shots and fireworks to be had by the lake. Next time I'll bring one to leave in the room.

Here's my last three years with kit loadout and Flickr album:

2013 - First year taking my gear to the parks. Found the 50/1.4 too tight and it didn't get much use
- 7D, 430EX (and OCF cable), 17-55/2.8, 50/1.4, Tokina 11-16/2.8
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/sporadic/sets/72157634208051319

2014 - First trip with the X-T1. Couldn't fund a prime yet so took an old FD 50/1.8 with an adapter.
- X-T1, 18-55, 10-24, Canon FD 50/1.8, Ultrapod II
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/sporadic/sets/72157651121895628

2015 - Pickup up a 35/1.4 and love it! My 18-55 stayed in the bag the entire time I think. Still missing a proper E-TTL flash.
- X-T1, 18-55, 10-24, 35/1.4, Ultrapod II (stopped carrying it after a few days)
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/sporadic/sets/72157654515140332

thomas998

I might suggest you decide before you go what you want to try to do with your photos.... If you don't plan on trying to catch fireworks or long exposures then leave the tripod at home it will only add weight and if you aren't going to use it don't bring it.

For dealing with bright sunny days get some ND filters also to give more pop to your color get a polarizing filter which will eliminate a lot of the bright reflections and allow the color its reflecting off to be seen.

I second the suggestion of a short prime lens than the 50mm you have on a crop camera. A 28 or 35 would be much closer better and are going to be cheaper than a really wide lens.

Lastly don't get to caught up in trying to take pictures... If you do it will negatively impact your pleasure in Disney. I've been guilty in the past of focusing so much on capturing photos that I didn't really enjoy the moment, and sadly when I've gotten home I soon realize that the kids that I was taking the photos for don't really appreciate them much... Take some photos for sure, but don't become obsessed with it.

PhotoDave219

Two years ago I got my first "real" camera (a Canon rebel) after using only point-and-shoots prior to that -- my recent trip to WDW (last week) gave me a chance to try taking some better-than-a-snapshot WDW photos. In the meantime I had come across and become a fan of the photos of Tom Bricker and others.

So, now that I have for the first time attempted to take some decent photos at WDW, my admiration for those who do it really well has gone up 1000%. I got a few kind of OK photos, but nothing like the jaw-dropping stuff you see here at this site and on various flickr streams. Here's my newbie's perspective on what makes WDW photography especially challenging:

3) The HEAT (granted, this was a June trip) makes you want to jump in the nearest water source rather than concentrate on taking a pic.

4) It's hard not to be a drag on your family by constantly setting up and taking photos (this may or may not be issue for everyone, but it was for me -- we're infrequent visitors).

Furthermore, although I had a small tripod with me, I ended up leaving it at the hotel, because I'm a tall guy and cramming a backpack full of gear into the rides with me was pretty uncomfortable.

How do I do it? Compose, push the button. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Letsee...... First, in Disney I travel as light as possible. One camera, one lens. Too damn heavy and cumbersome to try and drag a boatload of equipment. Forces me to work with what I have and be creative. Also, its not very discrete and stands out too... except for Epcot's 30th. Half the time i just used my iPhone. Blending in is important to me. (I have no desire to have a conversation with Disney Security as there's been a rise of semi-pro and pro gear coming in and I truly fear that Disney is about to crack down on all of it.)

1 - I incorporate random people in the frame. I photograph random strangers constantly, generally sitting on a patch of pretty light waiting for someone to enter the frame. To me, Walt Disney World is about the people who come there. Well, any destination really. Otherwise its a pretty building photo, IMO. (I have this conversation with @NowInc constantly tho his empty main streets are pretty and haunting).

2 - Yes it is. Makes photographing a parade unpleasant.

3 - Makes golden hour in the evening so much more pleasant.

4 - Ive rarely set anything up, everything is candid. Maybe a posed family shot here and there but the few seconds before/after those shots prove amazing usually.

One camera, 35/50mm lens.... just focus on creativity, light, composition and your family....

habuma

Here's my newbie's perspective on what makes WDW photography especially challenging:

1. Generally, I want my photos to focus on park and its attractions, not the people. But yeah, there are people everywhere and it can't be avoided. In fact, the people are part of the kinetic energy of the park, so it's expected that there will be people in your shots. For the most part, I've made an agreement with myself to *try* to get shots that focus on the park elements, but as long as the people aren't being obnoxious, wearing something inappropriate, or just in a location that completely ruins the composition (e.g., right in front of the camera), then I just take them in as part of the landscape. One place where I never get people, however, is when I'm trying to focus on a detail of a building or attraction. In those cases, I want *just* the detail I'm trying to capture.

2. Yes. One of my biggest challenges. And I find that the sun has a way of shining directly into the lens, no matter what it is that I'm trying to capture. The best you can do is try to position yourself to take advantage of the lighting situation and post-edit to correct. Or, you can just accept that the harsh light is part of it and leave it. (I've seen a few photos that make the most of the harsh light. Mine never work out well, but I've seen others that do it.)

3. I *HATE* heat. I'd be fine if it were in the 50s all day long, but anything over 80 and I start getting uncomfortable. But that's not a photography thing...that's just a cost of going to Florida. Eat a Dole Whip and ride Ellen a few times to cool down. (While riding Ellen, practice your dark-ride photography skills...without a flash of course.)

4. I don't do a lot of set-up, per se. I usually snap pictures as I go. If there's something I really feel the need to stop and set up and take several shots of, I either tell my family I'll catch up with them or I ask them if I can have a moment. I try to avoid this, because I don't want my photography addiction (that they don't share) to ruin their experience. I've gotten really good at shooting as I walk (one eye in the viewfinder, one watching where I'm going). But occasionally I just need a moment to get the shot I want.

I have a mid-sized backpack that I carry with my Nikon D7000 and usually 2 lenses. I keep the 20-80mm on the body for walking around shots and swap it out with a 35mm prime for dark rides. I also keep a couple of longer range zoom lenses in the hotel room, just in case I need them. Turns out, that I almost never need them...although I plan to take one of them with me the next time I see Fantasmic! to capture some better up-close shots of Mickey. I probably don't need a backpack as big as I carry, but I also use it for other stuff, such as snacks, park maps, etc. I also usually carry a monopod with me. If the parks aren't too crowded, I carry a tripod, but I won't use it if it's crowded and would invade other people's space.

Best tip I've picked up on recently: UV and polarizing filters are fine during the day, but not so much at night. In fact, generally speaking, any filter causes problems at night or in dark rides. I took what would have been some amazing photos of Cars Land in DCA at night a few years ago, but all of them had ghosted reflections of the lighting effects. (Some of the light bounces off of the lens, back to the filter, then back into the lens.) Lesson learned. I remove the filters at night and when I'm on dark rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom