WDW Permits Part 5

Tom

Beta Return
I started digging through some older liens from when Epcot was being built, and ran across this very interesting group. These are all from a contractor called AllState Erectors Inc. for work on Spaceship Earth including what appears to be some expensive re-work and delays. Particularly interesting is $480,256 to install the exterior panels, and another $400,000 to "Refasten" the panels.

Installation of 954 Triangular Panels Covered with Alucobond $485,526
Unload Alucobond Panels $9807
Clean Alcobond Panels $15,330
Load and Haul Alcobond Panels $70,797
Unload, Install Suspension Beam, Gutter, Catwalk & Misc Items $31,701
Refasten Alcobond Panels - FIX $400,012
Obtain Information for W.E.D. Report - FIX $20,387
Remove Gutter/Catwalk for Alterations, Modify and Reinstall $39,131
Unload, Sort and Install Truncated Panel Supports $4593
Verbal Orders of the Demarst Company, Inc $2333
Cut and Refab Panel Frames, Cut and Install Panel Facets, Cut and Install Connecting Trim $272,749
Install Downspouts (Rainleaders) $4230
Fix Panel Supports $22910
Rework Safety Barrier Frames $8590
Checking, Measuring, and Recording the Misaligmnet of the Standoffs with Gusset Plates and Additional Support Framing, $14,471
Install Structural Reinforcing at Cut Edges of Truncated Alucobond Panel Facets and Attach Edge Trim $15,176
Cut and Modify Misalinged Structural Support System for Truncated Panels $6370
Interest Due on Outstanding Balance from August, September and October 1982 $4784
Delayed Starting Date After Contract Start Date $10,294
Lost Time Due to Improper Access Road $2207
McDougal Panel Removal and Replacement $686
Additional Labor and Equipment Charges incurred because of job site and project conditions $391,625

Wow..good find. I can't attest to how legit the claims are for fixing things, but I can call BS on the last item! Every subcontractor loves to file claims for "how much they were delayed," or for the jobsite not meeting their exact needs upon arrival. $390k is a huge number today, let alone 30 years ago.

Tom

Beta Return
I like "Lost time due to improper road access"

Yeah, when I see claims like that, it tells me that the company lost their on the project and they're trying to grasp for straws. They're essentially throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I finished a huge Lazy River project in May, and my electrician sent me a $21,000 claim for "pool lighting wire and conduit" they supposedly didn't have in their contract. They lost a lot of money on the project because of a bad estimator (that quit during the project), and just kept sending me claims that I kept sending back with documentation showing how the stuff was already in their scope of work (i.e. the note on the Electrical plans that says "Provide all wiring and controls for pool lighting").

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, when I see claims like that, it tells me that the company lost their on the project and they're trying to grasp for straws. They're essentially throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I finished a huge Lazy River project in May, and my electrician sent me a $21,000 claim for "pool lighting wire and conduit" they supposedly didn't have in their contract. They lost a lot of money on the project because of a bad estimator (that quit during the project), and just kept sending me claims that I kept sending back with documentation showing how the stuff was already in their scope of work (i.e. the note on the Electrical plans that says "Provide all wiring and controls for pool lighting").

I checked a couple of the SSE liens and found that they did have lien satisfaction documents attached to them, but all the ones I checked just listed the satisfaction amount as $50,000. Not sure what that means.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

After what I see in just dealing with one element of construction, I can only imagine what you deal with over the entire project. I have one customer that I still have over 10 years worth of emails saved for because of stuff like this. They quote a preliminary plan and the make change after change over the course of 6-12 months. Even though we send updates and revised prices for every change they, still try to get away with paying the original price.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Couple interesting permits recently:

I am guessing this one is Next-Gen related. It's for electrical work at the park entrances mainly in the bus areas.

Main Entrance TTC, Main Entrance Bus Loop, DHS Entrance Bus Loop, AK Parking Lot, International Gateway, Epcot Main Entrance - Electrical - Equipment Installations

This is an update to the permit for the Fantasyland Skyway Restroom project from last year which expired in November. I assume this is extending the permit expiration.

MAGIC KINGDOM
1520 Magic Kingdom Dr - Skyway Restroom

Tom

Beta Return
Couple interesting permits recently:

I am guessing this one is Next-Gen related. It's for electrical work at the park entrances mainly in the bus areas.

Main Entrance TTC, Main Entrance Bus Loop, DHS Entrance Bus Loop, AK Parking Lot, International Gateway, Epcot Main Entrance - Electrical - Equipment Installations

This is an update to the permit for the Fantasyland Skyway Restroom project from last year which expired in November. I assume this is extending the permit expiration.

MAGIC KINGDOM
1520 Magic Kingdom Dr - Skyway Restroom

Yeah, likely RFID readers at some entrances for Resort Guests.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Meh. Guessing gate related since all locations have gates and not all are bus related.

But, looking at the plans in the permit the area of work for DHS and AK are just for the bus area they don't include the actual entrance, and the Animal Kingdom one includes the bus area and the entire parking lot. I also don't know why you would need gate RFID at the TTC. To me this does seem bus related.

IlikeDW

But, looking at the plans in the permit the area of work for DHS and AK are just for the bus area they don't include the actual entrance, and the Animal Kingdom one includes the bus area and the entire parking lot. I also don't know why you would need gate RFID at the TTC. To me this does seem bus related.
Hopefully active management of bus routing using RFID counts of guests, could be cool if the algorithm is well done a mess if it's not.

jt04

Hopefully it is related to the TTC, as it currently functions, being transported to Yesterland.

Tom

Beta Return

The outlines they drew for each survey are strange. If they mean anything, there's no correlation between them all. While a couple are specific to JUST the bus depots, others encompass entire parking lots, including entry drives.

So, this tells me it's not for the "Transportation Wait Time" boards that Flamingo suggested (like the test one they did at the GF). I'm sure it's RFID related, but I honestly can't figure out what it is specifically....unless it's just an assortment of transportation validation systems.

For example, RFID controlled gates at the bus depots; RFID lanes for Resort Guests to use their KttW cards to gain access to park parking lots; and so on.

Not sure what the TTC one could be.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just put up the final permits for 2012. Mainly a bunch of Buena Vista Construction permits for the Blizzard Beach refurb.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So now that 2012 is done I thought I would post some statistics. Note that even though we call these permits they are actually Notices of Commencement but it's just easier to say permit.

Total permits for 2012: 1349

Count by location:

Magic Kingdom 303
Epcot 192
Disney Hollywood Studio 156
Animal Kingdom 120
Lake Buena Vista 49
Downtown Disney 47
Admin 42
Grand Floridian 41
Contemporary 31
North Service Area 27
Typhoon Lagoon 25
Boardwalk 23
Fort Wilderness 21
Coronado Springs 20
Unknown 19
Yacht and Beach Club 19
Polynesian 18
Animal Kingdom Lodge 17
Port Orleans Riverside 16
Wilderness Lodge 15
Caribbean Beach Resort 14
Blizzard Beach 10
Art of Animation Resort 9
Saratoga Springs Resort 9
Beach Club 8
Pop Century 8
ESPN 7
Port Orleans 7
Ticket and Transportation Center 7
Misc 6
Old Key West 6
Port Orleans French Quarter 6
Yacht Club 6
Main Entrance 5
Various 5
Golden Oak 3
South Service Area 3
WDW Overall 3
All Star Music 2
All Star Sports 2
Epcot Resorts 2
Property 2
Saratoga Springs 2
STOL Port 2
Winter Summerland 2
All Star Movies 1
All Star Resorts 1
DoubleTree 1
Epcot/DHS 1
Fan Installation 1
Fantasia Gardens 1
Golf 1
Hotels 1
Magic Kingdom/Epcot 1
Monorail 1
Old Key West Resort 1
Richard Petty Driving Experience 1

Top contractors:

Buena Vista Construction Company 318
ERMCO of Florida 64
Vanson Enterprises, Inc 40
CEC General Contractors Inc 39
VEA Creative LLC 38
Maddox Electric Co 34
Ferran Services & Contracting, Inc 31
Mivan Florida Inc 29
Jerry Carr 26
Design Communications, Ltd 24
Cameron Constructors, Inc 22
Faden Builders 22
Mechanical Services of Central Florida 22
Friedrich Watkins Co 19
Grunau Company Inc 19
Lo-Temp Engineering 18
Bruns, Inc 17
WW Gay Mechanical Contractors Inc 16
Page Piping Inc 14
Slalom Construction Services 14
Tri-City Electrical Contractors, Inc 14
Whiting-Turner Contracting Company 14
Icarus Exhibits Inc 13
Otis Elevator Inc 13
Roger Arnold 13
Sign Producers Inc 13
Integrated Systems of Florida 12
Stanley Convergent Security Solutions 11

Tom

Beta Return
So now that 2012 is done I thought I would post some statistics. Note that even though we call these permits they are actually Notices of Commencement but it's just easier to say permit.

Total permits for 2012: 1349

Count by location:

Magic Kingdom 303
Epcot 192
Disney Hollywood Studio 156
Animal Kingdom 120
Lake Buena Vista 49
Downtown Disney 47
Admin 42
Grand Floridian 41
Contemporary 31
North Service Area 27
Typhoon Lagoon 25
Boardwalk 23
Fort Wilderness 21
Coronado Springs 20
Unknown 19
Yacht and Beach Club 19
Polynesian 18
Animal Kingdom Lodge 17
Port Orleans Riverside 16
Wilderness Lodge 15
Caribbean Beach Resort 14
Blizzard Beach 10
Art of Animation Resort 9
Saratoga Springs Resort 9
Beach Club 8
Pop Century 8
ESPN 7
Port Orleans 7
Ticket and Transportation Center 7
Misc 6
Old Key West 6
Port Orleans French Quarter 6
Yacht Club 6
Main Entrance 5
Various 5
Golden Oak 3
South Service Area 3
WDW Overall 3
All Star Music 2
All Star Sports 2
Epcot Resorts 2
Property 2
Saratoga Springs 2
STOL Port 2
Winter Summerland 2
All Star Movies 1
All Star Resorts 1
DoubleTree 1
Epcot/DHS 1
Fan Installation 1
Fantasia Gardens 1
Golf 1
Hotels 1
Magic Kingdom/Epcot 1
Monorail 1
Old Key West Resort 1
Richard Petty Driving Experience 1

Top contractors:

Buena Vista Construction Company 318
ERMCO of Florida 64
Vanson Enterprises, Inc 40
CEC General Contractors Inc 39
VEA Creative LLC 38
Maddox Electric Co 34
Ferran Services & Contracting, Inc 31
Mivan Florida Inc 29
Jerry Carr 26
Design Communications, Ltd 24
Cameron Constructors, Inc 22
Faden Builders 22
Mechanical Services of Central Florida 22
Friedrich Watkins Co 19
Grunau Company Inc 19
Lo-Temp Engineering 18
Bruns, Inc 17
WW Gay Mechanical Contractors Inc 16
Page Piping Inc 14
Slalom Construction Services 14
Tri-City Electrical Contractors, Inc 14
Whiting-Turner Contracting Company 14
Icarus Exhibits Inc 13
Otis Elevator Inc 13
Roger Arnold 13
Sign Producers Inc 13
Integrated Systems of Florida 12
Stanley Convergent Security Solutions 11

Very impressive. I wish I'd had access to your technology back when I ran the permit thread :)

Have you setup the 2013 thread yet so that I can "Watch" it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom