WDW Permits 2016

Goofyernmost

No one has ever found any evidence that these ever existed.
Actually, Disney admitted that they existed, but, people tend to over imagine what it consisted of. When they were building the station at Epcot, they were also, at the time, thinking that they might extend the monorail to what is now Disney Springs. That was thirty four years ago, if they haven't used them by now, you can bet that they are not going to. It's only a couple of them anyway, allegedly close to the monorail tracks but buried over thirty years ago. It means nothing at this point. It was just cheaper, at the time to just do it when the rest was being built and then if they decided to use them they wouldn't have to stop the monorail for very long.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Actually, Disney admitted that they existed, but, people tend to over imagine what it consisted of. When they were building the station at Epcot, they were also, at the time, thinking that they might extend the monorail to what is now Disney Springs. That was thirty four years ago, if they haven't used them by now, you can bet that they are not going to. It's only a couple of them anyway, allegedly close to the monorail tracks but buried over thirty years ago. It means nothing at this point. It was just cheaper, at the time to just do it when the rest was being built and then if they decided to use them they wouldn't have to stop the monorail for very long.

Where did Disney admit this?

Goofyernmost

Where did Disney admit this?
I saw it awhile ago on an Epcot documentary. I don't remember where or what the name of it was. I remembered it because when that big old "Peter the Great", started that thread I was totally surprised that he was acting like no one knew that. I did and I can assure you that I am neither obsessed by it, nor have any insider connections. It really isn't a big deal nor would it be unusual to do that when it was cheaper and would cause less disruption. There have been many reports about how they, at one time, planned to run the monorail to the shopping district. What little they had invested in those footings was minuscule and not even worth thinking about. It still isn't. If they still exist it is only two or three out of the hundreds that they would need to build a monorail track, so, like I said, it promises nothing and never did.

BalooChicago

and even if they are there... after 30+ of sitting, they likely wouldn't be in any condition to use...

Huh? Footings don't have expiration dates. I suppose any exposed reinforcing could be corroded, but there are ways of addressing that. Otherwise they should be in the same condition as the adjacent footings that are in service.

Not that they'll ever be used

dstrawn9889

Huh? Footings don't have expiration dates. I suppose any exposed reinforcing could be corroded, but there are ways of addressing that. Otherwise they should be in the same condition as the adjacent footings that are in service.

Not that they'll ever be used
Would you want a house built on an old foundation that has been weathering UNDER the ground for thirty years?

BalooChicago

Would you want a house built on an old foundation that has been weathering UNDER the ground for thirty years?

Sure. 30 story office building near my office was built on foundations from a hundred year old building (granted the poured a raft slab over it).

The monorail footings (should they really exist) would be in no worse shape than the footings of the active monorail system.

NB: I'm an architect.

Tom

Beta Return

Yes, because that's where foundations go --- underground. I'd have a bearing test done, but they've already proven themselves worthy.

As a civil engineer I would, because I can look at that foundation and know that it is already proven that it is sound. A new foundation could sink or break if it was made wrong. Sometime a known quantity is better then new.

Yes!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting permit for Magic Kingdom today for Façade Improvements on Main Street. The addresses in the permit, along with what I have them as are...

1355 Monorail Way - Plaza Pavillion
1365 Monorail Way - MO7
1375 Monorail Way - MO5
1200 Market Street -

MO5 and MO7 are the two buildings on the right side of Main Street when facing the castle. I assume Market Street is the small street between the two buildings. What's interesting is that contractor is H O A R Construction, one of Disney big contractors, and the permit also lists HHCP as the architect which is a big firm that did the American Adventure pavilion and is currently doing the Pizza Planet refurb. With these companies involved this would seem to be more then just a simple re-paint. Permit expires at the end of 2016 so it can't be anything to huge.

1355, 1365, 1375 Monorail Way, 1200 Market Street - MK Facade Improvements

msteel

Interesting permit for Magic Kingdom today for Façade Improvements on Main Street. The addresses in the permit, along with what I have them as are...

1355 Monorail Way - Plaza Pavillion
1365 Monorail Way - MO7
1375 Monorail Way - MO5
1200 Market Street -

MO5 and MO7 are the two buildings on the right side of Main Street when facing the castle. I assume Market Street is the small street between the two buildings. What's interesting is that contractor is H O A R Construction, one of Disney big contractors, and the permit also lists HHCP as the architect which is a big firm that did the American Adventure pavilion and is currently doing the Pizza Planet refurb. With these companies involved this would seem to be more then just a simple re-paint. Permit expires at the end of 2016 so it can't be anything to huge.

1355, 1365, 1375 Monorail Way, 1200 Market Street - MK Facade Improvements

This wouldn't by any chance involve improving the backside facades of these buildings for the bypass, would it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom