WDW Permits 2015

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
While in line for RRC yesterday, I did notice that the parking lot that is between Rocking and TOT was completely empty, which from what I remember always had cars in it or other things.

Interesting, that might relate to the flex space permit I posted about.

Bolt

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Last week we had a bunch of permits for electrical installs in various hotel lobbies. This week there were a bunch with the description "Electrical and Fiber Installations Only" for Caribbean Beach, Coronado, Old Key West, Poly, Port Orleans, Saratoga, and Yacht Club. These permits cover the entirety of these resorts.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Dan, can you tell from the permit if it is repair work or more along the lines of an addition?

It doesn't provide any info other then "concrete work". Here is the area where the work is being done:

Capture.JPG

Lee

Adventurer
Interesting permit for DHS today. Not sure what this is, but the contractor is H o a r Construction. I don't have any record of that address, but Sunset Blvd is the path from the hub to Tower of Terror.

854 Sunset Blvd - DHS Flex Space
I just got these plans.
The building is labeled as a "Black Box" which is usually a term to describe a theatre or soundstage-like space.

Very close to the RnRC queue, over where the Star Wars store pops up in May.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just got these plans.
The building is labeled as a "Black Box" which is usually a term to describe a theatre or soundstage-like space.

They used the AFI space for Frozen and are using it for Star Wars this year, I wonder if this will be a replacement for that so they can start working on other thing back in the AFI/Backlot are.

Tom

Beta Return
I just got these plans.

When shopping centers are built, but before tenants are signed, a shell space with just 4 drywalled walls and a ceiling is referred to as a "white box" or "vanilla box". It would make sense for an empty space at DHS to be called a "black box" because they paint the walls and ceilings black to hide the infrastructure, conduits, etc.

BalooChicago

Lee is right, "Black Box" is typically a type of Theatre. Tom is also right "White Box" is a term for a shell retail space. H0ar is a great contractor.

I've done black box theatres, white box retail space, and worked on projects with H0ar (as the General Contractor - I'm an Architect), I even did "White Box" retail with H0ar, unfortunately none of those three were at Disney ;).

I'd be surprised if a "Black Box" space were simply a "White Box" type space, with Black walls.

Bolt

I just got these plans.

Any idea of when this will start?

Tom

Beta Return
Lee is right, "Black Box" is typically a type of Theatre. Tom is also right "White Box" is a term for a shell retail space. H0ar is a great contractor.

I've done black box theatres, white box retail space, and worked on projects with H0ar (as the General Contractor - I'm an Architect), I even did "White Box" retail with H0ar, unfortunately none of those three were at Disney ;).

I'd be surprised if a "Black Box" space were simply a "White Box" type space, with Black walls.

Right. More like a warehouse or soundstage

The Visionary Soul

I know there is a small seating area for the fish n chip shop in that location. they might be repairing and expanding.
There actually isn't a seating area in the outlined area. That's next to the outlined area. This would be to expand the concrete seating area. The area in question on this map has some grass, flowers, trees, and has also been home to the Winnie the Pooh topiaries for the last few years. I guess they're going to remove that green space for more seating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom