Trip Report WDW Jan. 19-26 2017 (Part 1)

Got back a week ago and have finally settled back into a routine (gross), so I thought it'd be a good time to revisit our vacation with a trip report!

We started planning this trip over a year ago with Summer Squires at Kingdom Konsultants. She was the best, can't say enough about how helpful she was and how amazing this service is. If you're going to WDW (or anywhere) it really doesn't make any sense to NOT use this service. I consider myself somewhat of a WDW veteran, but it was nice to have someone else book the reservations and take care of all the small details. Summer was only a text away while we were in the parks, if I had any questions or needed suggestions. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

After some deliberation we decided to give POR a try. I've always heard good things about it, and the pull-down murphy bed is exactly what we needed. I really liked being on the river and the overall feel of this resort. My only complaint would be with the bus service, which was pretty bad. I've stayed at CBR several times and POFQ, and POR easily has the worst bus service of the three. Aside from that ,we loved it and had a great time!

The parks were busier than they've ever been in January, but still manageable. Utilizing Fastpass+ was extremely beneficial and I was surprised at how well the new system worked. I do miss the ticket/free souvenirs, but it does make planning easier.

The Magicbands were also something that I was skeptical of, but they worked perfectly. One day for an hour or so, the system went down and we were unable to use them to purchase stuff or use our dining plan credits, but other than that it worked flawlessly.

Enough talk, here are some photos from the parks, starting with the first park we visited, Hollywood Studios.

TOT was incredible, as always. We were able to get on it 4 times during out stay. The ride videos they take now on this are really cool, although since we've been back the videos have disappeared from my Photopass account and I was only able to download one of them. Disney insists they'll figure it out and let me know when they get them back, but I'm starting to lose hope. :(

I was very excited to see all the Star Wars stuff that's been added to HS, and I was not disappointed. The Jawas in Launch Bay were a highlight for us, we kept going back to visit them because it was such a hoot.

I am a HUGE Indy fan, and there are some elements of this show that are lots of fun, but it wouldn't break my heart if this show went away or was at least re-worked.

The Beast has had it with Belle's nonsense.

I don't miss the hat, but I do miss the Earful Tower.

Our ice cream stop before Fantasmic. We did the Fantasmic/Dining Package thing, and got great reserved seats, dead center. Which was good, because it was standing room only that night. Seems like when we've done that package in the past we were off to the side, so I was pleasantly surprised when they showed us to our seats.

Onto Magic Kingdom. We were excited to finally get on the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train (it was being built the last time we were there), and it was a family favorite. The crowds at MK lightened up as we got further into our vacation, but by utilizing Fastpass (and multiple days) we were able to do everything multiple times with hardly any wait.

I gotta say, I'm a fan of the blue rocks.

Our Doombuggy came to an E-stop right in front of the Bride in the attic! Was able to get some great photos and video of her, as she usually goes by so quickly.

All my years of marching in place had finally paid off, as I was chosen to be one of the knights at Enchanted Tales w/ Belle. I'm the non-mustachioed knight on the right.

This was also our first time seeing the new parade, and the dragon really is impressive in person!

Our last two January trips saw Splash Mountain under refurbishment, so we were thrilled to see that it was open and operational. We took 5 trips down, just in case it was down during our next trip.

I always liked the different views you can get from Tom Sawyer's island.

This little Muppets diversion was so funny! Big Muppets fan and this was a pleasant surprise.

It was nice to see that Disney (unlike last January) has found a way to hide the crane they use to slowly remove the christmas lights from the castle so that it's not visible during the day. All my castle pictures from last trip had the stupid crane in them.

The sun sets on Storybook Circus

My favorite Wishes picture, taken with my iphone7 of all things (the low light function on that thing is impressive)

Animal Kingdom and Epcot in Part 2!

monorail_mom

In the Parks
Yes
This is an excellent review!! Your photos are awesome, especially the ones of ToT and Cinderella Castle up close. You captured all of the detail. :) I'm glad your family had an enjoyable vacation. Thank you for letting me be a part of the planning!:D

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
What great pics! I'll have to try out the low light feature-i just didn't think it was possible! I'm really impressed with the haunted mansion bride pic!!

wannabeBelle

Great photos, I love some of the vantage points!! Cant wait to see part 2. Thanks for sharing and the great shout out to Summer, She is pretty awesome!! Marie

normbalko

Original Poster
ok, i goofed up and posted a whole other thread for PART 2. so, i'll post it here too to help avoid some confusion: :)

Next up is Animal Kingdom. We only spent one of our 8 days here, and while we were a little hurried from show to show, we still had plenty of time to get through everything (including 3 trips on EE). I suspect this will not be the case when Pandora opens.

Got this view from the bus ride into the park. Makes me with we had waited a few months to make the trip, Pandora is going to be amazing.

Signage at the entrance to Pandora.

I always liked this view looking back towards the new Festival of the Lion King building, and the detailing they have along the water. This was taken after our lunch at Tusker House.

This guy looked like he just had a rough night out with the boys.

The new baby elephant at KS was so cute!

Our last ride on EE as the sun was going down...

...and casting a cool enormous shadow (little teeny Spaceship Earth in the background).

We made the mistake of getting 6:45 dinner reservations at Rainforest Cafe. A mistake for a several reasons: 1. We were unable to see the Tree of Life awakening thingy 2. After missing the show, we weren't actually seated until 8:15. 3. The food and atmosphere there was annoying. Probably never go there again. Live and learn.

And lastly, Epcot!

This first annual Festival of the Arts was a bit of annoyance. Don't get me wrong, the stuff there was pretty cool, but January is supposed to be my "quiet/slow" time of the year! I don't approve of adding Festivals to what used to be a quiet time to visit WDW! :D

I'd never seen them before, but there were some HUGE catfish looking fish in the water here.

Epcot/Monorail photo timing WIN

You take away my free Fastpass ticket souvenirs? I'm taking your Wet Paint signs.

I know I'm in the minority, but having never seen the previous versions of this attraction, I always enjoy this one.

As much as I'd hate to see a "classic" attraction go, it wouldn't break my heart if they did turn this into a Guardian of the Galaxy attraction. The first moments of dinosaur goodness are really cool, but the other 43 minutes are brutal.

A multi-million dollar theme park and my kids' favorite part? The jumping water.

I was so happy to see this nice little homage to Maelstrom while waiting in line to meet Elsa and Anna.

After dinner at Coral Reef, the rain started to come down pretty heavy. I like the blue SE peeking through the trees.

Sunrise and some pink clouds over building 16 in the Alligator Bayou on our last day.

Another great trip, thanks for reading!

normbalko

Original Poster
What great pics! I'll have to try out the low light feature-i just didn't think it was possible! I'm really impressed with the haunted mansion bride pic!!

Thanks! The picture of the bride was also taken with the iphone7. If it had any sort of zoom feature that was worth a darn, I'd probably completely ditch my actual camera.

JAG107

This is a great TR!
I'm pretty sure those fish in the Epcot lake are carp. We saw some real big ones there last time over by the Odyssey walkway.
I agree with you on the Figment ride, it's a family favorite. We've never seen the original so we aren't sour to what we didn't experience.

normbalko

Original Poster
Great Pictures - I am always amazed how my pictures never look as good as this! Looks like a great trip so far

thanks! they were all either taken with my iphone7 or my trusty 4 year old point-and-shoot Sony HX9V. I think it does pretty good for a little, rather inexpensive camera. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom