WDW IT Layoffs 1/30/2015

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This notion of "American jobs" is cute but it has nothing to do with how the global economy functions in 2015. And make no mistake, TWDC is a GLOBAL company. You want to talk about the Age of Ultron box office like it has anything to do with Parks and Resorts? Less than half of that money is domestic. So, using your logic, Disney should really be sending even MORE American jobs overseas.
I am one that believes in in-sourcing IT (not necessary keeping it American, but certainly in-sourcing).

But, you make a very good point.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I am one that believes in in-sourcing IT (not necessary keeping it American, but certainly in-sourcing).

But, you make a very good point.
If we want to restrict immigration or H1B workers as @ford91exploder suggests, that's one thing, but I don't blame Disney for operating within the rules as they exist today.

Regarding insourcing, my company has a broad mix. American employees, Indian employees, in-house consultants, external domestic consultants, project enployees, foreign consultants, etc. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If we want to restrict immigration or H1B workers as @ford91exploder suggests, that's one thing, but I don't blame Disney for operating within the rules as they exist today.

Regarding insourcing, my company has a broad mix. American employees, Indian employees, in-house consultants, external domestic consultants, project enployees, foreign consultants, etc. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
That they do. I'm a decision-maker in my company, and there are certain things I outsource for a variety of reasons (both domestic and abroad). But, as a general rule, I think for IT you do better with well managed in-sourcing on that scale than random out-sourcing.

The issue is, internal departments, even if of the same broad discipline, often like to act like they are separate from the overarching mission, normally for finger pointing reasons, and as a result, they are often more difficult to deal with than external sources.

That prior is why I didn't last long in Government IT, for example, where the overarching attitude is "make simple stuff complicated".

It's long to explain, and complex, but I can see how it came to be.

ParentsOf4

This notion of "American jobs" is cute but it has nothing to do with how the global economy functions in 2015. And make no mistake, TWDC is a GLOBAL company. You want to talk about the Age of Ultron box office like it has anything to do with Parks and Resorts? Less than half of that money is domestic. So, using your logic, Disney should really be sending even MORE American jobs overseas.
In 2014, $36.8 billion of Disney's $48.8 billion in revenue (75.3%) came from the U.S. and Canada.

Overwhelmingly, The Walt Disney Company is reliant on what happens in the United States.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
In 2014, $36.8 billion of Disney's $48.8 billion in revenue (75.3%) came from the U.S. and Canada.

Overwhelmingly, The Walt Disney Company is reliant on what happens in the United States.
Point <---- Over here

Over there ----> Response

Same coin, different ends.

The issue isn't where revenues come from, it's relating box office returns to park operations. And, if you strip away foreign returns and adjust for inflation, Frozen wasn't Disney's #1 feature either.

In fact, it isn't even in the top 100 all time grossing, and is behind Monster's Inc even if you want to go Animated only.

It made, Disney animated alone, less money domestically adjusted, than:

Snow White
101 Dalmatians
Lion King
Fantasia
Mary Poppins (pseudo animated)
Jungle Book
Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio
Lady and the Tramp

To name a few.

ParentsOf4

The issue isn't where revenues come from, it's relating box office returns to park operations. And, if you strip away foreign returns and adjust for inflation, Frozen wasn't Disney's #1 feature either.

In fact, it isn't even in the top 100 all time grossing, and is behind Monster's Inc even if you want to go Animated only.
I politely suggest that focusing on Disney's box office returns is a bit of a red herring. In 2014, Disney collected $2.4 billion in worldwide theatrical distribution revenue, roughly the same as what it collected in hotel revenue at WDW and DLR. Mind you, this is just at the hotels. This does not include the roughly $10 billion more in revenue collected at Disney's domestic Parks & Resorts operations.

Recalling that this thread is titled "WDW IT Layoffs 1/30/2015", the issue is what effect cheaper labor has on Disney's #1 market.

As Disney and other large corporations globalize their work forces and as Disney and other large companies take profits generated in the U.S. and invest that money in China, millions of domestic jobs are being lost, adversely affecting sales and profits in those corporations' #1 market.

Last edited:

BuzzKillington

More hope and change and the reason these people were let go is ACA, period. It was bad enough corporations were having to pay for their own employees' health care but now they are having to pay for the free-loaders too. Corporations shouldn't be in health care management nor income tax collections and Universal Healthcare and FairTax systems would take care of this issue.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I politely suggest that focusing on Disney's box office returns is a bit of a red herring. In 2014, Disney collected $2.4 billion in worldwide theatrical distribution revenue, roughly the same as what it collected in hotel revenue at WDW and DLR. Mind you, this is just at the hotels. This does not include the roughly $10 billion more in revenue collected at Disney's domestic Parks & Resorts operations.

Recalling that this thread is titled "WDW IT Layoffs 1/30/2015", the issue is what effect cheaper labor has on Disney's #1 market.

As Disney and other large corporations globalize their work forces and as Disney and other large companies take profits generated in the U.S. and invest that money in China, millions of domestic jobs are being lost, adversely affecting sales and profits in those corporations' #1 market.
I'd politely suggest that you read the thread before you assign context. See below.

Disney's AVENGERS movie just past ONE BILLION DOLLARS. The parks are very busy, raking in the money. Star wars will make another Billion. Yet, they send American jobs overseas. That's GREED!

I didn't bring it up. But I did respond to it.

BuzzKillington

And corporations will continue to send jobs overseas until it becomes cheaper to do business here in the US. All taxes and health care expense passed on to the consumer via a FairTax and Universal Healthcare system would do that.

ParentsOf4

I'd politely suggest that you read the thread before you assign context. See below.

I didn't bring it up. But I did respond to it.
Since we are discussing context, please recall that my initial response was to the following:
Focusing on the part I highlighted, I wrote:

In other words, Disney is not a global juggernaut. Overwhelmingly, Disney depends on North American sales.

To this, you responded with:
Point <---- Over here

Over there ----> Response

Same coin, different ends.

It made, Disney animated alone, less money domestically adjusted, than:

Snow White
101 Dalmatians
Lion King
Fantasia
Mary Poppins (pseudo animated)
Jungle Book
Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio
Lady and the Tramp

To name a few.
Sorry but it appears we are focusing on 2 different subtopics of this thread.

I'm focusing on Disney's domestic vs. international sales and the notion that it is a "GLOBAL company". It appears you're focusing on films. :)

Recalling the post you quoted:
Disney's AVENGERS movie just past ONE BILLION DOLLARS. The parks are very busy, raking in the money. Star wars will make another Billion. Yet, they send American jobs overseas. That's GREED!
@Jimdalva seems to write that Disney is sending jobs overseas despite great theme park and box office success, which I described the perils of in my later post:

I'm not being facetious when I ask: Are we simply focusing on 2 different aspects of the same general topic?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

@englanddg were responding to a poster who brought up box office returns. Our point was precisely what you're saying: to point out that it has nothing to do with this conversation.

raven

This notion of "American jobs" is cute but it has nothing to do with how the global economy functions in 2015. And make no mistake, TWDC is a GLOBAL company.

TWDC is an American company that happens to have divisions all over the world.

The title of the thread is WDW IT Layoffs. Whether or not they sent the jobs overseas, 500 Americans still lost their jobs and that was the intent of the thread.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And the usual course for H1B's is for them to be paid FAR less than US based counterparts, The usual trick is to advertise a senior position in some expensive city for 20-40,000 (where the comparable salary is usually) 100K or higher, Then they 'certify' that there are NO US workers. And a new H1B is minted and the labor 'contractor' takes 40-60% of salary for their lodging and 'fees' so you have these guys living in company dorms. effectively being paid just over minimum wage. Now in India you can still live like a maharajah with servants etc on $15-20,000 US but that's coming to an end quickly as India develops a middle class.

Some do it right and pay the H1B holder a US salary but those cases are the exception rather than the norm, My company prefers green cards but we have a few H1B's but they are paid the same as the green card holders (this helps us recruit the best of the best from overseas)

jloucks

Well, it is profit anyway. What happens to/with that profit from different perspectives is a better indicator of greed.

The foreigners that are allowed to compete with the wealthy U.S. workforce see it as generosity. The wealthy U.S. workforce has only one direction to go when mixed with a workforce that work for 1/2 - 1/10 the cost. These U.S. workers of course see it as greed. ...ironic because they are greedy viewed through the eyes of the foreigners taking their jobs.

Ah yes, the joys of a global workforce. Not great for those on the 'top' that get thrown into the mix for the profit of corporate masters.

The people that are profiting see it as efficient management and progress to a global oligopoly. ...which of course is simply human nature. I don't think anybody is surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom