WDW Interview and Restricted Rehire Status

warningmaycausedisneyness

Original Poster
Hello all. I am new here. I've been lurking a few days hoping to maybe read something similar to my situation and I'm hoping that you all may be able to help me.

I'm a former DCP. I completed one program in 2011 and started a second in 2014 in which I self-termed after finding out my father was diagnosed with leukemia. At the time I was a wreak and just wanted to go back home and be with my family. Now I wish to go back to Disney and work full time but I am worried that my efforts will be for nothing.

I called casting and talked to someone who did confirm that I was on restricted hire status but that I just needed to have 6 months of verified employment to be rehired. I have been working at my local Goodwill since I left my DCP and decided to reapply for a full time position.

I received the web based interview, passed, and have now set up an in person interview. My biggest worry now is that I currently live in Michigan and am going to have to drive down to this interview. Do you think they would let me even set up an interview if they didn't think I was worth a second shot?

I think I may have had a few points on my card but no reprimands and I even received fanatic cards from several fellow cast members. This really is my dream and I loved working at Disney. What do you think my chances are?

Domosuke

If you don't live near a Disney park and aren't going into the DCP, it's going to be tough trying to find work there.

Just because you met their qualifications for rehire which is having steady employment elsewhere to half a year or longer, doesn't mean they will rehire you.

When you go for your interview afterwards, you will have to write a paper saying why they should rehire you and this could take a few days or so.

Then they will decide to hire you.

Hoping the best for you.

Original Poster
First of all thanks all for the replies. They have given me a lot to think about.

I know that an interview isn't an ansolute 'yes, we want you back' and I'm just glad to have the opportunity to even have a a interview.

In terms of relocating that is not an issue I am concerned with. My boyfriend and I are both done with school and have been wanting to relocate to Florida for awhile now. Disney would just be our dream jobs.

We both have set up interviews for this coming Tuesday and are wishing for the best. What ever happens, happens but I'd never know if I didn't take the leap.

Original Poster
I went to school for English Writing and while its something I'm interested in its not really a degree you can make money with. I never really wanted to go to college in the first place but my mother really wanted me to since she never got the chance.

Long story short I chose a degree in something I like instead of something that could have landed me a career.

CaptainAmerica

I went to school for English Writing and while its something I'm interested in its not really a degree you can make money with. I never really wanted to go to college in the first place but my mother really wanted me to since she never got the chance.

Long story short I chose a degree in something I like instead of something that could have landed me a career.
Even then, there have to be hundreds of avenues to explore before moving yourself hundreds of miles for a job that pays $20,000 a year if you're lucky. That's scary. When lived near Disney, it was depressing how many people set themselves up for financial ruin just so they could call themselves "cast member." It's not worth it.

mousehockey37

I called casting and talked to someone who did confirm that I was on restricted hire status but that I just needed to have 6 months of verified employment to be rehired. I have been working at my local Goodwill since I left my DCP and decided to reapply for a full time position.

I received the web based interview, passed, and have now set up an in person interview. My biggest worry now is that I currently live in Michigan and am going to have to drive down to this interview. Do you think they would let me even set up an interview if they didn't think I was worth a second shot?

If you weren't ready for an in-person interview, then you shouldn't have gone through the process. They could technically call you tomorrow and say your in-person interview is Tuesday at 10am.... In Orlando or Anaheim (you haven't stated where you were)... They'll expect you at that interview, regardless of where you are in the world.

:banghead:

I honestly think you need to re-evaluate yourself. It sounds like you do have a desire to work for Disney, but at the same time, it seems you're lost. You went to college and graduated yet you're running back to Disney... to do what? Sell churros? Clean Rapunzel's toilets? Like @CaptainAmerica said, there's lots that set themselves up for failure just to work for the mouse for a little cheese... Maybe you could find a way to take your degree to Disney or work for something that deals with tourism in Orlando or SoCal?

Original Poster
Thank you for your concern. The thing is I'm not wanting this job in terms of looking for financial security. I enjoyed my time at Disney and it has been one of the best jobs I've held.

Regardless if I get this position or not I still plan on relocating to Florida in the future. This job interview is just a step in the right direction for me and my life goals.

CaptainAmerica

Thank you for your concern. The thing is I'm not wanting this job in terms of looking for financial security. I enjoyed my time at Disney and it has been one of the best jobs I've held.

Regardless if I get this position or not I still plan on relocating to Florida in the future. This job interview is just a step in the right direction for me and my life goals.
It's one thing to not seek riches but I assume you'd at least like food, clothing, and shelter, yes?

mousehockey37

You realize you answered your own question. If Orlando is where you want to be, then go. What's stopping you? If you've gotta drive, you've gotta drive... Life's all about taking chances. Just have a backup plan in case the dream job falls through.

CaptainAmerica

So as much as I like the other posts here (from reputable posters, *ahem*) I will tell you to follow your dreams. Know that you're not going to make much, and things will be tight.

I assume when you left in 2014, you notified as to why? That's a big point to you. Yes, you self-termed and got restricted, but by putting that on your paperwork, casting will notice that it wasn't because "you didn't like cleaning toilets."

By offering an interview, yes they are willing to talk to you again. Know that when we interview 5 folks, we usually only hire 1. Your past experience will be questioned, you will need to discuss why you left, etc. But, I don't see your reasoning being a sticking point.

Also ignore the comments about not living in FL yet. We're hiring a lot of folks right now, some who are moving from pretty big spans. It's possible. Heck, I did it.
Aren't you an accountant? The relocation policies and procedures for a professional aren't going to be anywhere near what it will be for a front line.

Original Poster
Well, interviews came and went.
My recruiter said that I was well qualified for my position (photo pass) and that my record card was basically spotless compared to most DCP cms but I wasn't offered a job. Recruiter said that he never hires anyone that lives outside of Florida but he said that he is willing to help me out; that if I do find a place to stay before the 6 month hire period is over that I should contact him and see if there are any positions open. He said that even if I did live in Florida he currently didn't have an positions open for photo pass anyways.

My boyfriend on the other hand had a different recruiter. His went well and he was put on the waiting list. The recruiter even said if my boyfriend does get offered the job when a position opens that they can give him time to move down to Florida.

I guess it all just depends on the recruiter. I'm not giving up just yet. ;)

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

@warningmaycausedisneyness,
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out at WDW this go around for hiring right now. Perhaps if your boyfriend gets hired on, you could move down there and try again or - find something in a destination management company (DMC) and try to get into WDW later?

For a short time out of college I worked in corporate event/meeting & incentive industry as an Administrative Assistant. The DMC was my middle man and worked with the WDW folks in planning meetings on-property - plus you get writing experience because you will write TONS of proposal itineraries (if you end up as an administrative assistant).

There are TONS of destination management companies around the WDW area. You still get to work with WDW if you land in one of those.

Here is the one we worked with the most... (Hello Florida!) / maybe they are hiring?:

http://www.hello-dmc.com/

Whether it's administrative, sales or field staff - it's a way to earn some $ when your down there and still make connections and network with folks in the parks.

Just a suggestion - hoping things work out. Somehow, they almost always do. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom