WDW: Fifth Park or Just Update What We Have?

Fifth Park or Just Update What We Have?

• Yes, WDW could use a 5th park.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No, let's stick with updating what we have already.

Votes: 28 80.0%

• Total voters

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
Every now and then (usually through wishful thinking and nothing more) rumblings are heard of talk of a fifth theme park in Florida. Judging by what we're all used to by now, just the four theme parks......do you think there should be a fifth park down there or should WDI focus their attention on updating and coming up with new attractions for the existing parks?

I could see the merit in having a Disney Villains park, or at least a Villains subset of another park.....or a park having more in the way of big attractions like CA's California Screamin' coaster. But as someone who typically spends a week at a time on vacation there now, a fifth park to hop to during our stay may start to be a bit much. As it is, I'm exhausted (happily) by the time our week's up down there right now.

AndyS2992

MK: Classic dark rides need a lot of updating. Space Mountain needs to be redone and TTA needs a better narration. Remove Stitch and put in a alien themed dark ride or something. MILF needs replacing with a new show. All lands could do with a refurb. New day and night parade and new stage show. New fireworks and MK would be fine.

Epcot: Future World needs a good kick up the butt and move it into the future and make use of all the show buildings/space as many are just shut up and abandoned and use for new attractions. Massive refurbs for all the rides. Replace EO. World showcase needs more rides and a new country or two.

Studios: Replace all the shows with new ones as they are no longer needed to new Fantasyland. Build a few new E ticket style rides and expand the park. Overhaul or remove Backlot tour. Refurbs for everything and DHS would be fine.

AK: Just fix the yeti and actually put in some worthy rides, a lots of them.

Do this and I would be more than pleased and then maybe a fifth park but WDW has so many problems right now it would not be viable and would add to the decline if a fifth park opened right now.

mahnamahna101

Well
1. MK needs to increase capacity - an expansion to Adventureland (Fire Mountain), a new attraction for Frontierland (small), a new dark ride (Tangled or Snow Queen) where Snow White used to be, and an expansion using the Speedway plot (not included in budget) - $650 million
2. EPCOT: Future World needs a massive upgrade, while World Showcase needs a couple pavillions and some sort of an E-ticket - $750 million ($500 million going to World Showcase)
3. DHS needs to get a unified theme for the whole park and a two-in-one punch of a Star Wars Land and a vast Pixar Place expansion (with Muppet Studios and a new gangster dark ride for Sunset Blvd as a sidedish) - $1.5 billion is perfect for this
4. DAK needs two major areas but no Pandora (reworked Beastly Kingdom, and South America will do the trick)
along with a massive renovation of DinoLand, expanded river rapids, complete repair of the Yeti, and the return of the Discovery River Cruise (the park needs more rides! ;)) - $1.05 billion

Plus $1 billion for other enhancements throughout the property so a $5 billion resort-wide expansion/upgrade would have to be done before a 5th gate would make sense lol

In other words... not for a while

ParentsOf4

Well
1. MK needs to increase capacity - an expansion to Adventureland (Fire Mountain), a new attraction for Frontierland (small), a new dark ride (Tangled or Snow Queen) where Snow White used to be, and an expansion using the Speedway plot (not included in budget) - $650 million
MK doesn't need an expansion. It's crowded because none of WDW's other theme parks come close.

"OK, we spent the morning at DHS and we're done. What else are we going to do? I know, let's head back to the Magic Kingdom!"

"OK, we spent the morning at DAK and we're done. What else are we going to do? I know, let's head back to the Magic Kingdom!"

"OK, we spent the morning in Future World and we're done. What else are we going to do? I suppose we could go shopping and watch some boring films in the World Showcase. Wait, I have a better idea! The Monorail's nearby. Let's jump on the Monorail and spend the rest of the day at the Magic Kingdom!"

Turn those into complete theme parks and WDW's attendance at all 4 theme parks would level off nicely.

ctxak98

MK doesn't need an expansion. It's crowded because none of WDW's other theme parks come close.

"OK, we spent the morning at DHS and we're done. What else are we going to do? I know, let's head back to the Magic Kingdom!"

"OK, we spent the morning at DAK and we're done. What else are we going to do? I know, let's head back to the Magic Kingdom!"

"OK, we spent the morning in Future World and we're done. What else are we going to do? I suppose we could go shopping and watch some boring films in the World Showcase. Wait, I have a better idea! The Monorail's nearby. Let's jump on the Monorail and spend the rest of the day at the Magic Kingdom!"

Turn those into complete theme parks and WDW's attendance at all 4 theme parks would level off nicely.
I get what your saying but Not everyone is the same way! We can EASILY make each park a full day! and Epcot could easily be a two day park! AK is the only one we get done fully within a day, But even then its jam packed!

WDWDad13

My opinion... Disney needs to do some major additions to DHS and DAK to make them full day parks. Another big land or 2 in each would do the trick I believe (as long as they add night time entertainment to DAK as well).

...and then the biggie... I actually believe they SHOULD build a 5th park. Of what I"m not sure yet but this time maybe build a park more targeted for tweens, teens, and young adults (I guess more thrill type attractions) to compete with IOA.

Right now and in the future Disney is going to have the problem of many who use to go to Disney for a full week are now going part of the week, and then a few days at Uni...and I even know some now that aren't doing DAK or DHS anymore. With the addition of Disney Springs (which could almost be a half or full day for some) and the addition of a 5th park (along with the full day potential at DAK and DHS), you now make Disney a MAJOR full week park.

Right now and in the future Disney is going to have the problem of many who use to go to Disney for a full week are now going part of the week, and then a few days at Uni...and I even know some now that aren't doing DAK or DHS anymore. With the addition of Disney Springs (which could almost be a half or full day for some) and the addition of a 5th park (along with the full day potential at DAK and DHS), you now make Disney a MAJOR full week park.

Disney has never been a full week, at least not in my household. Going back to the mid 90s, we had 8 days setup as vacation due to my parents timeshare. 2 days were travel days which left us with 6 days. 1 day at each Disney park, 2 days for Uni and SW, with the last day as "random" (extra park day or water park). For those who have never been to CF or even to those who have, a lot of people have always set aside a day or two for Uni and IOA.

Personally, I could do BOTH parks in a single run as I only appreciate a handful of rides.

Also to say that Disney needs help from the overpowering of Uni and IOA is a little...silly. Universal Studios came in at #14 for top theme parks in the world for 2012 and IOA sneaked into the top 10 at 10. That being said all of Walt Disney World came in the top 8, with MK at the numero uno, primo spot. I'm not saying WDW doesn't need anything (DHS and DAK need some major TLC) but to add a fifth park at this point would be a bit premature. Secure the other parks first and then think about the fifth gate.

Unless Disney wants to see about purchasing Blizzard from Activision then I'm all for a whole "nerd-vana" theme park full of Star Wars, Warcraft, Starcraft and Marvel. :p ;)

WDWDad13

I spend about a week and a half at Disney when I go now... I don't do each park commando style... I like to find some relaxing time too... that's just me

I don't think Uni and IOA is going to surpass Disney, what I guess I was getting at is DIsney wants people to stay on site more and not venture off to Uni or IAO when they could be spending money somewhere in Disney. This is why they need to find ways to keep guests on site - expand and build more

harryk

Just getting on with the maintenance of the existing facilities would be a great improvement.
This would stop most of the bickering that I see on these sites.
Yes, adding rides and any other 'new' things would be nice - but they do take time -- let's see what happens at the AK after the move of the Festival of the Lion King. I find AK a full day park now - I go to see the animals and do realize that they go to bed at night.
Walt Disney wanted a park for the whole family - A bunch of thrill rides does not meet the needs of the whole family idea.

Zman-ks

Just update what we have. In my opinion, the park that needs the most help is HS. It just a confussing park and also could be expanded.
75.gif

Same here...

They definitely need to focus on updating the current four parks for now. And - from what I hear - Avatar Land is a huge extension to AK, so I'm very satisfied with that.

Although if there is going to be a fifth park, I hope it is DisneySea. ;)

BryceM

Although if there is going to be a fifth park, I hope it is DisneySea. ;)
Or maybe not. How about an ORIGINAL park? Sounds good to me.

And I think that when Cabana Bay Resort opens, and all of the current expansions are done at Universal, AT LEAST Islands of Adventure will surpass DAK or DHS. Though, it'll be hard. Honestly, the only reason why DAK and DHS are above both Universal parks is because the draw of the MK. People go to Disney for the MK, and possibly Epcot. DAK and DHS are just feeding off of the draw of MK because of how the price lowers for the amount of days you visit, etc.

At least, that's my take on it. I surely hope IOA surpasses a WDW park, because I honestly think it deserves it because it is one of the best theme parks in the world and it would be a wake up call for Disney to DO SOMETHING to make one of these parks a full day park.

Or maybe not. How about an ORIGINAL park? Sounds good to me.

And I think that when Cabana Bay Resort opens, and all of the current expansions are done at Universal, AT LEAST Islands of Adventure will surpass DAK or DHS. Though, it'll be hard. Honestly, the only reason why DAK and DHS are above both Universal parks is because the draw of the MK. People go to Disney for the MK, and possibly Epcot. DAK and DHS are just feeding off of the draw of MK because of how the price lowers for the amount of days you visit, etc.

At least, that's my take on it. I surely hope IOA surpasses a WDW park, because I honestly think it deserves it because it is one of the best theme parks in the world and it would be a wake up call for Disney to DO SOMETHING to make one of these parks a full day park.

DisneySea would be an original park though, considering people in western countries haven't yet been introduced to it. Also, it would destroy SeaWorld. ;)

BryceM

DisneySea would be an original park though, considering people in western countries haven't yet been introduced to it. Also, it would destroy SeaWorld. ;)
I think something LIKE DisneySea would be nice. I designed a whole park called Disney's EarthSea Adventures. Maybe I'll post it!

I think something LIKE DisneySea would be nice. I designed a whole park called Disney's EarthSea Adventures. Maybe I'll post it!

I agree, it shouldn't be a carbon copy (that wouldn't work in WDW anyway), just a sea-themed park.
The 'EarthSea Adventures' idea sounds ideal actually; it would be nice if you could post it!

BryceM

I agree, it shouldn't be a carbon copy (that wouldn't work in WDW anyway), just a sea-themed park.
The 'EarthSea Adventures' idea sounds ideal actually; it would be nice if you could post it!
You can read it here: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=945509237

Just scroll down a bit! The other competitor's parks were also very good, and you should read those too if you have time! But it's clearly obvious that Disney EarthSea is inspired by DisneySea. Definitely has features of DisneySea, Islands of Adventure, Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom