Wdw Beachclub- what has gone wrong with Disney??

psukardi

They can't fix two drawers in a value resort guest room. It's unlikely they will run buses exclusively for ECVs. Plus that will just start the whole topic of special treatment for some people all over again.

You run them but not as frequent. You're still providing the service to the guests; however, instead of every 15 minutes it's every 30 or 45 minutes. It wouldn't be special treatment as it would off-load the problem. When you're trying to get on a bus at the end of the day at the park and someone in their scooter cuts to the front of the line & their whole party of 18 comes with them and fills the bus, it's a major issue

psukardi

I really do not understand why this would be the procedure. There is no reason for someone in an ECV to be loaded ahead of other guests who have been waiting longer. Everyone should queue up in order of arrival and someone in an ECV can wait their turn just like everyone else. This should apply everywhere... rides, shows, transportation, whatever.

Because if you don't people scream from the rooftops that you're being insensitive to their plight. That's why it happens that way. I saw it happen more than once on my last visit; thankfully it was for other resorts - but it does happen quite frequently. I wish they'd do the following. Person in ECV can hang out to the side, they're already seated so it's not a big deal and the rest of the party gets in the queue. When first person in the queue gets to the driver, they notify the ECV thing.

lebeau

I really do not understand why this would be the procedure. There is no reason for someone in an ECV to be loaded ahead of other guests who have been waiting longer. Everyone should queue up in order of arrival and someone in an ECV can wait their turn just like everyone else. This should apply everywhere... rides, shows, transportation, whatever.

I don't think there is any way to determine how long the guests in ECVs have been standing there as opposed to the guests who are standing. Is it fair? No. But it's probably the most efficient.

One morning, we got the the MK bus stop at POR. South Depot if it matters. It was a zoo already. As soon as we walked up, we heard people griping about how long they had waited. We watched bus after bus pass us by for every park except the MK. Eventually, not one but two MK buses arrived! We were excited because with two buses, everyone would be able to get on board.

The first bus began by loading the EVCs. Took roughly 20 minutes. While that was going on, the second bus was able to pull up behind the first bus. The second bus began loading passengers before the first bus had finished loading the EVCs. This meant that everyone who was in the back of the line and people who were just walking up got loaded before the front of the line.

Finally, the first bus began loading from the front of the line. Soon, both buses were full and pulling away. But the middle of the line (we had waited in excess of 20 minutes) was left stranded. One angry guest complained to the second bus driver that he shouldn't have loaded from the back. He shrugged and said he was just sent to help and another bus would be along shortly.

Fortunately, another bus did come along about 5 minutes later. We only waited about a half hour in total. Others had waited longer than that. Sadly, that was only the second-worst experience with a morning bus to MK this trip.

KingdomofDreams

I totally agree. The individual in the ECV is seated while everyone has to stand while they wait. If someone can travel to WDW and navigate throughout all the parks, they certainly can queue up and wait just like everyone else. I do like the idea of their party getting in the queue while the individual in the ECV waits to the side, just for the protection of everyone else, so no one gets run into and hurt by the ECV.

psukardi

At some point it's going to come to a boiling point and changes will need to occur. I'm generally very even-keel but I could see someone in the August heat lose their cool and go off the reservation over an ECV incident.

Violiav

Part of it seems to be that the elderly, disabled, and people with mobility issues have more freedom of movement than they did 40 years ago, even 20 years. That's a good thing and it really shouldn't be taken as anything other than a positive. It's great that people go out into the world and live their lives instead of being isolated and depressed.
As for buses loading ECVs first. That's fairly common with buses all over (at least the ones I've been on). Folks with special needs get ushered on first (usually) to the handicapped spots (that way walkers don't take them).

lebeau

Part of it seems to be that the elderly, disabled, and people with mobility issues have more freedom of movement than they did 40 years ago, even 20 years. That's a good thing and it really shouldn't be taken as anything other than a positive. It's great that people go out into the world and live their lives instead of being isolated and depressed.

I guess so. But I don't know.

I may feel differently when my time comes. But the people in those vehicles almost always look miserable. Not just at the bus station by in the parks too. I'm sure there are some people who are loving the experience. But the ones who truly are struggling with mobility, they don't look like they are having a good time.

I'm a relatively healthy middle aged dude. But a week of touring the parks wears me down. I don't think I would want to be running around the hot FL sun if I was having trouble getting around.

Sometimes I look at these people and think they can't possibly be enjoying themselves. And I wonder who they are there for. Some of these people (not all but some) look to me like they are suffering because the family just had to take grandma or grandpa to Disney World.

Obviously, you never know anyone's story. But I just can't see wanting to be there under certain conditions. I don't think you'll see me at Disney World 40 years from now.

psukardi

Folks with special needs get ushered on first (usually) to the handicapped spots (that way walkers don't take them).

Is being morbidly obese due to the desire to gnosh on a turkeyleg really a special need? Healthy enough to cruise down mainstreet in your scooter, eating your turkey leg & downing your mickey ice-cream? Probably healthy enough to wait in the queue with the rest of us.

Violiav

I guess so. But I don't know.

I may feel differently when my time comes. But the people in those vehicles almost always look miserable. Not just at the bus station by in the parks too. I'm sure there are some people who are loving the experience. But the ones who truly are struggling with mobility, they don't look like they are having a good time.

I'm a relatively healthy middle aged dude. But a week of touring the parks wears me down. I don't think I would want to be running around the hot FL sun if I was having trouble getting around.

Sometimes I look at these people and think they can't possibly be enjoying themselves. And I wonder who they are there for. Some of these people (not all but some) look to me like they are suffering because the family just had to take grandma or grandpa to Disney World.

Obviously, you never know anyone's story. But I just can't see wanting to be there under certain conditions. I don't think you'll see me at Disney World 40 years from now.

Who knows with people. Bush Sr just skydived today for his 90th and he's been in a wheelchair for awhile now.

rob0519

You run them but not as frequent. You're still providing the service to the guests; however, instead of every 15 minutes it's every 30 or 45 minutes. It wouldn't be special treatment as it would off-load the problem. When you're trying to get on a bus at the end of the day at the park and someone in their scooter cuts to the front of the line & their whole party of 18 comes with them and fills the bus, it's a major issue
I don't disagree with your concept or your grasp of the subject I'm sure there have already been multiple meltdowns involving ECVs and bus loading. One of the problems I've observed is a distinct increase in the number of ECVs in use. How many of these units can be put on one bus? Two? Maybe three? There may be a need for twenty of these buses to deal with high demand Times. Then if this bus shows up to a park empty and there are no ECVs to load, does it leave empty? That might not sit well with hot, tired people who have already been waiting 20 minutes for a bus. I don't have the answer either, but you're right ECV riders with large parties are a major issue.

Last edited:

rob0519

Is being morbidly obese due to the desire to gnosh on a turkeyleg really a special need? Healthy enough to cruise down mainstreet in your scooter, eating your turkey leg & downing your mickey ice-cream? Probably healthy enough to wait in the queue with the rest of us.
Maybe someone from WDW Transportation can answer this, but isn't it a safety issue that the ECVs have to be loaded first and secured so that the other passengers don't get hit trying to load them in order? If it's a safety regulation or policy it doesn't matter if the person needs the mobility aid due to weight or physical disability. Keep in mind that someone who cannot walk for medical reasons can sooner or later become overweight because they cannot move around or exercise to burn calories. There are also those who, to your, point, simply eat to much for their own good.

lebeau

Maybe someone from WDW Transportation can answer this, but isn't it a safety issue that the ECVs have to be loaded first and secured so that the other passengers don't get hit trying to load them in order? If it's a safety regulation or policy it doesn't matter if the person needs the mobility aid due to weight or physical disability. Keep in mind that someone who cannot walk for medical reasons can sooner or later become overweight because they cannot move around or exercise to burn calories. There are also those who, to your, point, simply eat to much for their own good.

I remind myself of this fact constantly.

There was one woman at the Feel the Force Premium Package who tested my ability to be empathetic. She showed up right before the parade started with a tub of popcorn. Grabbed multiple Mickey bars and soda and then went to the front of the roped area that was reserved for EVCs. And then never stopped eating for the next half hour. She did get up off her vehicle to scold her kid and yank him into the air by his arm. But other than that, she snacked the whole time. I overheard that they were there on the VIP package which meant that they were leaving for lunch at Mama Melrose right after the parade.

Short of that, I try really hard to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

psukardi

I don't disagree with your concept or your grasp of the subject I'm sure there have already been multiple meltdowns involving ECVs and bus loading. One of the problems I've observed is a distinct increase in the number of ECVs in use. How many of these units can be put on one bus? Two? Maybe three? There may be a need for twenty of these buses to deal with high demand Times. Then if this bus shows up to a park empty and there are no ECVs to load, does it leave empty? That might not sit well with hot, tired people who have already been waiting 20 minutes for a bus. I don't have the answer either, but you're right ECV riders with large parties are a major issue.

Ya, just spit-balling ideas here. But I think we can agree that an increase in ECV's is a major issue. And I think others were correct in the fact that ECVs have to load first because they have to be secured & the rest. I dunno, just frustrating sometimes after a long day having waiting in the queue and then seeing someone in an ECV cut a long line & get to get on the bus first along with their party.

daisyduckie

Ya, just spit-balling ideas here. But I think we can agree that an increase in ECV's is a major issue. And I think others were correct in the fact that ECVs have to load first because they have to be secured & the rest. I dunno, just frustrating sometimes after a long day having waiting in the queue and then seeing someone in an ECV cut a long line & get to get on the bus first along with their party.

Just try and remember that while they are the first on the bus, at the parks they are also the last off. In addition, that is probably the one place they get lucky and have a shorter wait.

daisyduckie

You may not feel so healthy if the ECV boarded after you, and then ran your foot over. Or hit you in the shins. Or if the lift folded open onto your toes.

cw1982

How do you know that someone in an ECV is healthy beyond being morbidly obese? Many health impairments that may require one to be in some sort of wheelchair may not be obvious to the rest of us. Just because someone who is obese is in a chair, doesn't necessarily mean that they are in that chair just because of obesity.

I fully agree that being in an ECV doesn't mean someone isn't well enough to wait in lines, but then again, I can also see how cramming that ECV into some queue lines could be more hazard risk than its worth. What if the person in the ECV has a hard time turning a sharp corner in a queue and, in trying to make that turn, accidentally runs over someone's foot? What if they have some kind of malfunction on the ECV while they are waiting in line and suddenly the entire queue is clogged because people are having a hard time getting around them? This is probably not as big of an issue in the lines for buses since those are out in the open, but for some rides it could be a disaster.

On another note, I wonder how much of this issue is specific to different resorts, or even different levels of resorts? Seems like a lot of the observations in this thread are referring to a handful of specific resorts... when we stayed at Pop last week, there may have been one guest in an ECV on each bus we took. I don't remember a single bus ride, in the whole week, where it was a big deal, but I can see how it would be if there were several guests in ECV's trying to board the same bus. Maybe the values don't have this happen as much, since they are more spread out (ie, maybe the guests who have mobility issues think they would be better off somewhere that wouldn't require as much of a commute around the resort)?

jaklgreen

I have no problem with them loading the ECV's first, after all how can they get those things on if the bus is packed. But why can't the people stay seated in them for the bus ride. It can't be any more dangerous then having the bus crammed full of people standing. The one time that stuck out in my mind was a very very heavy couple. They each had their own ECV that were loaded. Each ECV takes up 3 seats, so that was 6 seats just for the ECVs and then they both sat down taking 2 seats each due to their size. So 2 people took up 10 seats!!! That is too extreme IMO.

TheMouseFan

When we were there in November, most, if not all, of the parks had the ECVs go through the line and then break off into a seperate line when you reached the front. That way they would be loaded on first to the next bus, but they didn't get to completely line jump. I wonder if this was just a test? However, they were not doing this at Pop.

Dwarful

I thought we were going to see a knock down drag out fight at HS. The bus pulled up and began loading. At that point no wheelchairs or EVC's were there. About half way into loading a large group with two scooters arrived. The bus driver then made everyone who was in the front section of the bus unload, then loaded the two EVC's and the 8 people with them. THEN let everyone back on the bus. It got ugly between people who got kicked off the bus and then back on...it was crazy because no one went back to their original spots. I'd never seen a bus driver do this before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom