WDW Awakens ...

AEfx

If Horizon fit in the Future World theme, I'm at a loss to understand why Mission: Space doesn't trump it to the 5th degree. It is far more future then the snippets that Horizon put out there. And since you participate in MS it is much more real and seems far more possible then riding by a few futuristic visions. I truly enjoy MS and basically do not miss Horizons at all other then in a nostalgic look back.

Mission: Space stinks because it's a pre-show turned into a pavilion. That's right - they had this great idea for a space pavilion, this was to be the pre-show - and instead, they just built the pre-show.

Mike S

If Horizon fit in the Future World theme, I'm at a loss to understand why Mission: Space doesn't trump it to the 5th degree. It is far more future then the snippets that Horizon put out there. And since you participate in MS it is much more real and seems far more possible then riding by a few futuristic visions. I truly enjoy MS and basically do not miss Horizons at all other then in a nostalgic look back.
I actually was saying that it did fit Future World taking out that it's not that good of a replacement. My comment was a veiled dig at Frozen replacing Maelstrom in World Showcase, which doesn't.

Goofyernmost

Mission: Space stinks because it's a pre-show turned into a pavilion. That's right - they had this great idea for a space pavilion, this was to be the pre-show - and instead, they just built the pre-show.
I try not to judge something based on what someone thinks they were going to do. Unless it's in the flesh, it has no relevance to anything. I am judging based on what it is and I think it's great. It's close to the same as saying... I hate Epcot because it was supposed to be a city and all we got was a theme park. The fact that it isn't a city doesn't make it bad. It just means it's not a city.

AEfx

I try not to judge something based on what someone thinks they were going to do. Unless it's in the flesh, it has no relevance to anything. I am judging based on what it is and I think it's great. It's close to the same as saying... I hate Epcot because it was supposed to be a city and all we got was a theme park. The fact that it isn't a city doesn't make it bad. It just means it's not a city.

You are right - the fact that it isn't an actual pavilion doesn't make it bad, it just means it's not actually a pavilion. ;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Space rides have already been done...it's a bit of a glorified Star Tours but you land on Mars.

Horizons showed a ton of ideas and historical context about the future, or possible future if we had the guts and determination to do it.

RSoxNo1

Closing horizons was fine the ride was dated and in all honesty boring in today times. The sin is not replacing it with something new and better.

That is the issue. It was not pan or small world where it needs to stay it was a ride that needed to evolve and they failed doing that.
As much as I miss Horizons, this is a hard one to fault them for. They attempted to upgrade it with Mission:SPACE... They swung for the fences and missed.

Mike S

As much as I miss Horizons, this is a hard one to fault them for. They attempted to upgrade it with Mission:SPACE... They swung for the fences and missed.
Nah, this was them swinging for the fences.
jhm_mission_space2.jpg

jhm_mission_space1.jpg

originalspacepavilion.jpg

JediMasterMatt

Horizons was run into the ground sponsor less.

See SSE 94 for what could have been done. And what was proposed.

Travesty.

The real travesty is the continued excuse by Disney Parks that corporate sponsorship is needed to make new attractions or even just provide upkeep to existing ones.

In the current upcharge cupcake after-hours event laden (mis)management, I think we are one step away from a PBS-esque pledge drive for WDW.

"Only with your help can we continue to provide our services, please donate to keep the lights on."

When Walt was actually betting the farm on the risk of trying something new in the creation of the modern theme park, it made sense to hedge your risks by tying in sponsors. The success of the business model proven itself long ago that a corporation as big as Disney doesn't need sponsorship to run their operations and sponsors are now only used as a way to bloat the bottom line or a convenient excuse to reduce expenses and provide diminished services.

Sponsorship a "nice to have" and not a "need" to have and the lack there of should never be a excuse for what has become of many of EPCOT Centers greatest legacies. Poor Horizons and Imagination.

Still.. a pledge drive though would be interesting if it would result in a few seasons worth of "This Old House" being rebranded as "This Old Mouse" and get some TLC for WDW.

Goofyernmost

Space rides have already been done...it's a bit of a glorified Star Tours but you land on Mars.

Horizons showed a ton of ideas and historical context about the future, or possible future if we had the guts and determination to do it.
Sure, but, we don't have the guts to pursue space anymore and we don't even find a need to do it anymore and especially spend money to do so.

Space rides had been done, but, there aren't many that included G-forces combined with the feel of being in a space craft. Star Tours was fun, but, you never lost the perspective that you were just in a moving room. Mission to Mars even attempted to simulate G-forces rather comically, but, they tried. Wasn't the same at all.

Goofyernmost

I guess you haven't been following SpaceX or VirginGalactic?
I'm aware of them, but, massive space exploration has pretty much ground to a halt. The current things are for profit ventures taking advantage of the fact that the government is no longer interested in investing money in space. However, part of our culture is space related with a satellite every 12 inches or so, so private enterprise has taken over the part where money is to be made. Otherwise, you will see very little space exploration strictly for the purpose of exploring and finding new things. Until someone does do that the SpaceX's and VirginGalactic's of the world will continue with providing what we have had already.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm aware of them, but, massive space exploration has pretty much ground to a halt. The current things are for profit ventures taking advantage of the fact that the government is no longer interested in investing money in space. However, part of our culture is space related with a satellite every 12 inches or so, so private enterprise has taken over the part where money is to be made. Otherwise, you will see very little space exploration strictly for the purpose of exploring and finding new things. Until someone does do that the SpaceX's and VirginGalactic's of the world will continue with providing what we have had already.

I guess we'll have to disagree then.

Here's an article about SpaceX's Mars ambitions:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/04/spacex-debut-red-dragon-2018-mars-mission/

BrerJon

America may have given up on government funded space, but it's a big world, and there are plenty of other countries willing to take up the mantle. The speed of China and India's progress in this area is quite something.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The real travesty is the continued excuse by Disney Parks that corporate sponsorship is needed to make new attractions or even just provide upkeep to existing ones.

In the current upcharge cupcake after-hours event laden (mis)management, I think we are one step away from a PBS-esque pledge drive for WDW.

"Only with your help can we continue to provide our services, please donate to keep the lights on."

When Walt was actually betting the farm on the risk of trying something new in the creation of the modern theme park, it made sense to hedge your risks by tying in sponsors. The success of the business model proven itself long ago that a corporation as big as Disney doesn't need sponsorship to run their operations and sponsors are now only used as a way to bloat the bottom line or a convenient excuse to reduce expenses and provide diminished services.

Sponsorship a "nice to have" and not a "need" to have and the lack there of should never be a excuse for what has become of many of EPCOT Centers greatest legacies. Poor Horizons and Imagination.

Still.. a pledge drive though would be interesting if it would result in a few seasons worth of "This Old House" being rebranded as "This Old Mouse" and get some TLC for WDW.

I'd prefer Holmes makes it RIGHT thank you very much!, It would be amusing to hear Mike Holmes salty comments on the poor work and condition of WDW buildings....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
America may have given up on government funded space, but it's a big world, and there are plenty of other countries willing to take up the mantle. The speed of China and India's progress in this area is quite something.

Well you can't get spacecraft to vote for you with government largesse, Hence the space program was trashed in favor of buying votes, The space frames on the shuttles were good for a minimum of 50 additional flights each

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom