WDW Awakens ...

Goofyernmost

When you look at all that went into an attraction like Horizons it is even more baffling how they ever let it go away... Actually forcasting a believable future...based on Scientific facts from the time...Developing a storyline the carry the theme...and envisioning what our future could be in a day to day context... That was amazing...
Now it's The Little Mermaid Cliff Notes... And I think you are right...I do not think we will ever see anything on the scale of the original EPCOT Center again...
They got rid of it because the new sponsor wanted something different and it had gotten to the point where, comparitively very few people were actually riding it anymore. The newer generations found no repeat-ability aspect in it. One and done.

FigmentFreak

QS_0ef88bb7eea74b489aa1a3b62398a187.jpg

Jk, congratulations :)
So with Frozen all over does that mean Hell has Frozen over???

tirian

EXACTLY!
and let's face it...the last iteration of the finale scene was not very well written... They have in the past, and can in the present , do better than this... If they put in the 1964 scene as done at the World's Fair, It would in all it's retro glory be relevant as a time capsule attraction...never mind the fact that it would look amazing!cccccccc
5a029502f9f841341994e87255ea13cb.jpg
Yeah, I'd prefer to go back to the 1960s ending and rotate into a video collage showcasing tech since then. Or Disney could alter the entire thing to jump a couple decades at a time, from the industrial revolution onward.

gmajew

Premium Member
When you look at all that went into an attraction like Horizons it is even more baffling how they ever let it go away... Actually forcasting a believable future...based on Scientific facts from the time...Developing a storyline the carry the theme...and envisioning what our future could be in a day to day context... That was amazing...
Now it's The Little Mermaid Cliff Notes... And I think you are right...I do not think we will ever see anything on the scale of the original EPCOT Center again...

Closing horizons was fine the ride was dated and in all honesty boring in today times. The sin is not replacing it with something new and better.

That is the issue. It was not pan or small world where it needs to stay it was a ride that needed to evolve and they failed doing that.

BrerJon

Yeah, I'd prefer to go back to the 1960s ending and rotate into a video collage showcasing tech since then. Or Disney could alter the entire thing to jump a couple decades at a time, from the industrial revolution onward.

I like the idea of a video of clips of progress until the present being projected on the curtain as the end song plays out and the crowds leave.

They definitely should ditch the 90s ending and restore the original 60s one. Yes, at the time it was 'look how far we've come', but now it would be a slice of progress in the twentieth century, in the same way American Adventure shows us a slice of American history, but doesn't feel the need to constantly update with the Kardashians or Beyonce or whatever animatronics they'd have to represent modern America.

BrerJon

As most of what Horizons illustrated still has not come to pass, I don't think it could be considered dated. Some found it boring, and that's certainly their right. I put it on my "can't miss" list every time I visited Epcot.

Admittedly I was very young when I rode so my memories may be clouded by a child's eye view, but I can't fathom how anyone could find Horizons boring... it was amazing, by far the highlight of any EPCOT Center trip for me. Every time I saw that video conference sequence, with the animatronics talking to each other between scenes... blew my mind every time.

matt9112

....And the old narration in the peoplemover used to talk about the Metro Retro society presentation of the Carousel Of Progress... So... Bring it back to it's 1964 roots...they have already brought back the original theme song.. Now do over the last scene as in the original production, and you have a beautifully done time capsule attraction...

Vote for this guy. Screw trying to stay relevant kids these days never knew what life was like back than so teach darn it teach. Screw updating the last scene you all have lost touch. You cant do that without abandonding what makes it sl great for me a 27 year old. The fact that i see all of this stuff and what life once was.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I like the idea of a video of clips of progress until the present being projected on the curtain as the end song plays out and the crowds leave.

They definitely should ditch the 90s ending and restore the original 60s one. Yes, at the time it was 'look how far we've come', but now it would be a slice of progress in the twentieth century, in the same way American Adventure shows us a slice of American history, but doesn't feel the need to constantly update with the Kardashians or Beyonce or whatever animatronics they'd have to represent modern America.

You mean the Kardashians are not AA's I find them extremely lifelike but too stupid to be real...

Monorail_Orange

Closing horizons was fine the ride was dated and in all honesty boring in today times. The sin is not replacing it with something new and better.

That is the issue. It was not pan or small world where it needs to stay it was a ride that needed to evolve and they failed doing that.
We will have to agree to disagree. Horizons was amazing, but by its end, had been neglected to death. A few small plusses, such as new AAs, new screens showing remastered or recreated footage, maybe even now applying some glasses-less 3D projection in the "return to Earth" sequence and it would still be cooking with gas. The actual substance and message of the ride was and is still quite relevant. Also, it was at least replaced with something new; better is debatable depending on your point of view.

Mike S

We will have to agree to disagree. Horizons was amazing, but by its end, had been neglected to death. A few small plusses, such as new AAs, new screens showing remastered or recreated footage, maybe even now applying some glasses-less 3D projection in the "return to Earth" sequence and it would still be cooking with gas. The actual substance and message of the ride was and is still quite relevant. Also, it was at least replaced with something new; better is debatable depending on your point of view.
And that something new actually fitting Future World.

Goofyernmost

The story wasn't dated, but, the concept was. The Omni through scenes was done to death, especially in Epcot. Don't get me wrong I liked Horizons, but, with very few exception I remember very little about it. I liked the ride vehicles, some of the scenes and hated the grainy ending to the highest degree.
And that something new actually fitting Future World.
If Horizon fit in the Future World theme, I'm at a loss to understand why Mission: Space doesn't trump it to the 5th degree. It is far more future then the snippets that Horizon put out there. And since you participate in MS it is much more real and seems far more possible then riding by a few futuristic visions. I truly enjoy MS and basically do not miss Horizons at all other then in a nostalgic look back.

Bocabear

Because Mission Space doesnt actually take you anywhere... The pavilion is a training facility that sets up a fun ride and ends with a hallway and arcade... There is no advanced storytelling... The original concept had you arriving at a Space colony... which would have been amazing...but in the end, the rest of the pavilion got cut and we just ended up with the first part... Horizons was brilliant on many levels...and so much more than a theme park ride. But if you didn't see that, there is nothing I can explain here that would make a difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom