WDW at Christmas time

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
One of the best times to visit WDW is during Christmas. I haven't been to WDW during Christmas since 2007 so I'm sure things have changed. I love all the decorations around the parks and resorts. At MK I think my favorite thing is seeing Main Street decorated so perfectly. At EPCOT I love the Christmas around the world and the telling of the Christmas story at night. At AK I enjoyed Mickey's Jamin Jingle Jungle Parade. And last but certainly not least, my best and favorite memories came from DHS with the Osborne Family Lights, which I will dearly miss. Also I just love Goofy in his Santa outfit. What are some of your favorite things or memories about WDW at Christmas? Hopefully I will go back during Christmas time again one day.

belledream

I totally feel this post. I haven't had a WDW Christmas since I was 10! The pictures of Main Street all decked out make me ache. I know the detail-observer that I've grown into today would LOVE to scout all the different ornaments on the tree, and the smaller details of it all.

I love resort hopping, and I would love the chance to see the gingerbread displays at Contemporary and Grand Floridian, and just soak in the atmosphere at Wilderness Lodge.

I too will miss the Osborne lights. I remembers bubbles floating down like snow and feeling absolutely enthralled!

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I totally feel this post. I haven't had a WDW Christmas since I was 10! The pictures of Main Street all decked out make me ache. I know the detail-observer that I've grown into today would LOVE to scout all the different ornaments on the tree, and the smaller details of it all.

I love resort hopping, and I would love the chance to see the gingerbread displays at Contemporary and Grand Floridian, and just soak in the atmosphere at Wilderness Lodge.

I too will miss the Osborne lights. I remembers bubbles floating down like snow and feeling absolutely enthralled!
Completely forgot about the fake snow. That was a cool effect.

A W Reezy

Christmas time is definitely our favorite time to go. We usually leave the Saturday after Thanksgiving and stay a week. I will say, I think everyone has figured it out. The parks were more crowded this time (went 11/26/16 - 12/3/16) than I remember them being last time we were at Disney for Christmas.

The holiday tag at the end of Illuminations is amazing. Every night, first time viewers are left speechless at the finale. It really is amazing to watch.

R W B

We've been many times during December and it really is one of the best times to go. The decorations are the best. The only thing that could make it better is if we could have February's 'coldness' in December lol. My wife and I actually leave tomorrow and will be spending almost 2 weeks in the parks and the weather is looking pretty cool, all 60s & 70s.

I'll have to say my favorite part now is resort hoping and driving through Fort Wilderness and seeing all of those decorations. We'll be doing that this Tuesday night!

DVC4bestvacations

Best WDW Christmas memory: Christmas Eve at the MK. ('13) . Very few people there quiet no lines. The Silence before the Storm (Christmas Day)

Hope this year on Christmas Eve will be the same.

KaneMarko

Just returned from WDW last week. The late November/December holiday season is always the best time to go to Disney (if you can stand the elevated crowd levels). Disney does it like no other. Holiday decorations everywhere. The gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian is a must see. As well as all the Holiday decor on Main Street at MK.

I too like to resort hop around the deluxe resorts. Highly recommended if you have the time just to see the different decorations around the resorts.

If you've never been to WDW this time of you I HIGHLY recommend it.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20161205_174534.jpg
20161205_174343.jpg
I was at DHS tonight to have my kids meet Santa Claus at Carthay Circle and I will say, I love DHS the best at Christmas. I really love the way Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard are decorated. You add in the classic Christmas music from the 30s and 40s and I'm in love. Obviously I really miss the Osborne Lights :(

Herdman

We were just there Thanksgiving week, and it was probably our best trip ever! Everything was just a heightened level of magical. I would highly recommend going during the Christmas season if you never have.

mergatroid

Before I'd met the long suffering Mrs Mergatroid, I spent one Christmas on my own at Disney. It wasn't a problem as I'm rather good in my own company but that's not really the point nor at all relevant to this post. Coming from the UK I was more used to cold Winter weather around Christmas time rather than the sun being out and warm or even hot temperatures. Christmas in a different climate made it feel rather un-Christmas like but I could live with that as the trade off of being in Disney made up for it. During that trip I did hope that I'd get a moment to feel all warm and fuzzy with the Christmas spirit, however a week in I'd not had that feeling.

Christmas Eve however at the Studios I entered Muppet Vision as the sun was setting. Coming out the music was playing, the fake snow was falling, it was dark and the Osborne lights were on. That moment summed up everything that felt like Christmas and I got that warm fuzzy Christmas feeling that I thought I wouldn't :cool:

belledream

Before I'd met the long suffering Mrs Mergatroid, I spent one Christmas on my own at Disney. It wasn't a problem as I'm rather good in my own company but that's not really the point nor at all relevant to this post. Coming from the UK I was more used to cold Winter weather around Christmas time rather than the sun being out and warm or even hot temperatures. Christmas in a different climate made it feel rather un-Christmas like but I could live with that as the trade off of being in Disney made up for it. During that trip I did hope that I'd get a moment to feel all warm and fuzzy with the Christmas spirit, however a week in I'd not had that feeling.

Christmas Eve however at the Studios I entered Muppet Vision as the sun was setting. Coming out the music was playing, the fake snow was falling, it was dark and the Osborne lights were on. That moment summed up everything that felt like Christmas and I got that warm fuzzy Christmas feeling that I thought I wouldn't :cool:
Yes! There is something odd about celebrating xmas without all the layers and frozen toes. :p

A few years ago during the Frozen Summer Fun, when the parade ended and snow just burst through the air, I almost cried out of surprise and joy! Was not expecting it at all and coupled with the Epilogue music, it was a moment truly filled with magic for me. :D

thomas998

I think if you go during the early part of December then its a nice time... But as it approaches Christmas day the fun factor starts going down quickly... Our last trip there in December was 9 days that ended on Christmas day... The first few days were great, low crowds nice weather... But as we got closer to Christmas I noticed the lines were getting longer and the crowds a little larger... By Christmas day it was just not fun any more. I'm a fan of early December... but not the last week.

Po'Rich

My family went December 22-December 29 2012. Our first night, it was actually colder in FL than it had been in PA!
That exact time was my very first trip to WDW! We had won a trip to Hawaii (just a place to stay), but when I looked into the prices for flights, I said that it would be cheaper to go to Walt Disney World...and that is what we did. We stayed at SSR. Despite the crowds (which ultimately didn't bother us as much as crowds typically do), we were overwhelmed by the experience. Now, four years later, we've gone twice more (one more time at Christmas) and have another trip planned for this spring. I completely agree that there is nothing quite like Disney at Christmas.

wwmmd

My family went December 22-December 29 2012. Our first night, it was actually colder in FL than it had been in PA!

We were there the exact same time and I remember it being pretty cold for a couple days, winter jacket cold in the evenings. Christmas day was a beautiful 80 degrees though.

wwmmd

We will be in Orlando during Christmas and will be spending 1 day only at WDW on Christmas Eve. When we were there during Christmas 2012 we were back in our rooms by 9-10 on Christmas Eve because our kids were small and I didn't want them waking up cranky on Christmas morning. I plan on spending our evening at MK and am hoping it's not as obnoxiously crowded then as it is during the day. I'm crossing my fingers that lots of families will do what we did in 2012 and head back to their rooms a little earlier than normal because of it being Christmas Eve.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We've been many times during December and it really is one of the best times to go. The decorations are the best. The only thing that could make it better is if we could have February's 'coldness' in December lol. My wife and I actually leave tomorrow and will be spending almost 2 weeks in the parks and the weather is looking pretty cool, all 60s & 70s.

I'll have to say my favorite part now is resort hoping and driving through Fort Wilderness and seeing all of those decorations. We'll be doing that this Tuesday night!
When we visit in December, we stay in the WL, where even if it isn't cold, the vast woodiness of the lodge makes it feel cool and north-westy.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I think if you go during the early part of December then its a nice time... But as it approaches Christmas day the fun factor starts going down quickly... Our last trip there in December was 9 days that ended on Christmas day... The first few days were great, low crowds nice weather... But as we got closer to Christmas I noticed the lines were getting longer and the crowds a little larger... By Christmas day it was just not fun any more. I'm a fan of early December... but not the last week.
Yeah the closer to Christmas Day it gets the more nightmarish it becomes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom