WDW at Christmas - Non-park stay suggestions?

TylerFromMI

Hi all,

We are looking to do a resort-focused trip Dec 24 - 28th this year for Christmas; in the process of booking a DVC rental at Animal Kingdom Lodge for our stay. We know the parks will be a mad house, so we are looking to mix it up and spend our time enjoying the resort and exploring other parts of WDW.

Having only been a few times during the holidays, I was hoping you'd have suggestions of other entertainment, dining, and special events to check out? Also, looking for any reviews on our current potential ideas:
  • Ferrywishes Dessert Cruise
  • Horse-drawn carriage ride at Fort Wilderness
  • Resort dining (WL, AKL, GF, Contemporary)
  • Spirit of Aloha at Poly
  • Dessert party at Cali Grill
  • Disney Springs
  • Disney's YuleTide Fantasy Tour
Also, does anyone know what special entertainment AKL might have on Christmas Eve/Day (if any)?

Thanks!

Hire bikes one evening and cycle around Fort Wilderness - the guests go all out on their Christmas decorations and it is great to see the different displays! I believe they also have a Christmas golf cart parade!

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Hi all,

We are looking to do a resort-focused trip Dec 24 - 28th this year for Christmas; in the process of booking a DVC rental at Animal Kingdom Lodge for our stay. We know the parks will be a mad house, so we are looking to mix it up and spend our time enjoying the resort and exploring other parts of WDW.

Having only been a few times during the holidays, I was hoping you'd have suggestions of other entertainment, dining, and special events to check out? Also, looking for any reviews on our current potential ideas:
  • Ferrywishes Dessert Cruise
  • Horse-drawn carriage ride at Fort Wilderness
  • Resort dining (WL, AKL, GF, Contemporary)
  • Spirit of Aloha at Poly
  • Dessert party at Cali Grill
  • Disney Springs
  • Disney's YuleTide Fantasy Tour
Also, does anyone know what special entertainment AKL might have on Christmas Eve/Day (if any)?

Thanks!

My main suggestion would be resort hopping. The decorations are amazing.

GF, Beach Club, Yacht Club and WL are all worth seeing. Contemporary less impressive for me but a must do if you have Frozen fans (no idea if they might change the theme, maybe BatB, next year?).

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Disney offers a couple new things each year. Keep an eye on the Official Disney Parks Blog, they usually announce the new offerings first. For 2016 they had a holiday drone show in Disney Springs, and an xmas show in Hollywood Studios to replace Osborne Lights. Hard to know if things will change, but they will announce new stuff as the holidays get closer. With Disney Springs being so much bigger now, look for more new stuff there.They even put up xmas trees in the bowling alley!

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
If it still being done, I'd recommend to Wanyama Safari - it starts with a tea in Jiko, followed by a tour in an open truck thru the savannahs of AKL, and ends with a family style dinner at Jiko - it's a perfect non park day activity.

If it isn't offered anymore, there is now the nighttime tour of the savannahs. It's much less expensive but does not include a meal.

There are lots of activities offered at AKL so not being rushed to get to the parks will give you the perfect opportunity to take advantage. My daughter and I learned about African drums one day because we stopped when a cast member asked if we'd like to learn to play.

Someone did a blog post at Touring Plans Blog about various free tours and activities at the resorts - it'd be great resource for you to get ideas.

When we've gone during the holiday period, we've always taken advantage of resort hopping to take pictures in front of the various Christmas trees.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom