WDW as a solo parent

englanddg

One Little Spark...
How tall is the 7 and 5 year old? You should measure them. I only take one kid, so if she's too short, no biggie, but I can foresee a situation on your trip where one child qualifies for a ride and the other does not.

You can find ride height requirements online fairly easily.

Most of the rides that have height requirements are 36", 48", 50", and 56", as I recall.

Disney also has a "rider swap" program that you may be able to utilize for these situations, but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, something to consider.

kings&giants

Original Poster
2 great ideas! Joun116 - I have to check into the weight limit for the glider board (7 y.o is a big boy). But renting may be a really good choice. I will look into that.
Englanddg - I'm glad you do "rest time" in the park as well, especially with the stroller - if the little one gets tired he can just jump in & close his eyes. And I hadn't thought of sending the packages back to the room. Good call!

kings&giants

Original Poster
How tall is the 7 and 5 year old? You should measure them. I only take one kid, so if she's too short, no biggie, but I can foresee a situation on your trip where one child qualifies for a ride and the other does not.

You can find ride height requirements online fairly easily.

Most of the rides that have height requirements are 36", 48", 50", and 56", as I recall.

Disney also has a "rider swap" program that you may be able to utilize for these situations, but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, something to consider.
The are both pretty tall (the little guy is over 38"), so I think they are going to be able to go on anything they choose, no rockin roller coaster, but they are not that daring so I think are just fine with that! I will review the limits though, that way I can avoid anything they are too small for. I am all about avoiding tears & melt downs if at all possible!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just browsing through the rides, there are going to be quite a few that your 5 year old may not be tall enough for...

Here, this should help - http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.htm

Also, I don't avoid the rides with my kid where she is too short...instead, we snap a photo at the height bar. On our 2010 trip, she was 40.5", so she pretty much could go on everything except Rockin' Roller Coaster and the Design Your Ride at DisneyQuest and Epcot (still too short for those even this past trip...it requires 56")

The height bar pictures are great nostalgia, especially when you come back. I mean, who grew up visiting theme parks that doesn't remember "the year" they were finally tall enough!

I have pictures of her at 5 and 6 at Rockin' Roller Coaster, and this year she was finally...barely...tall enough to do it! You can imagine the excitement she had...and it was by far her favorite ride (she even forgot...yes...forgot about Tower of Terror...didn't want to ride it at all...only Rockin'!)

kings&giants

Original Poster
Just browsing through the rides, there are going to be quite a few that your 5 year old may not be tall enough for...

Here, this should help - http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.htm

Also, I don't avoid the rides with my kid where she is too short...instead, we snap a photo at the height bar. On our 2010 trip, she was 40.5", so she pretty much could go on everything except Rockin' Roller Coaster and the Design Your Ride at DisneyQuest and Epcot (still too short for those even this past trip...it requires 56")

The height bar pictures are great nostalgia, especially when you come back. I mean, who grew up visiting theme parks that doesn't remember "the year" they were finally tall enough!

I have pictures of her at 5 and 6 at Rockin' Roller Coaster, and this year she was finally...barely...tall enough to do it! You can imagine the excitement she had...and it was by far her favorite ride (she even forgot...yes...forgot about Tower of Terror...didn't want to ride it at all...only Rockin'!)
Thanks for the list! After looking at it, I kept thinking... we took our older son for the 1st time when he was 3 & he definitely went on some of these rides! The younger guy can't be smaller than my older son was at 3! And sure enough, I'm not sure what I did when I measured him this afternoon, but I redid it just now and he is actually about 45 inches! Splash Mountain here we come!! woo hoo!!!:D

englanddg

One Little Spark...
45", he isn't going to have much trouble at all getting on rides...however, there still may be a height difference for things like Rockin' Roller Coaster.

I've not used the "Ride Swap" process, but it does exist for rides like this, so before there is a meltdown, I'd query a Cast Member to find out how it works.

Glad to know both are tall enough for most rides though!

With Space Mountain, I requested front seats for my 5 (and later 6) year old and sat behind her and stuck my hands on each side of the forward headrest to make sure she didn't overextend her neck. This past trip she was 7, and I didn't do that.

kings&giants

Original Poster
45", he isn't going to have much trouble at all getting on rides...however, there still may be a height difference for things like Rockin' Roller Coaster.

I've not used the "Ride Swap" process, but it does exist for rides like this, so before there is a meltdown, I'd query a Cast Member to find out how it works.

Glad to know both are tall enough for most rides though!

With Space Mountain, I requested front seats for my 5 (and later 6) year old and sat behind her and stuck my hands on each side of the forward headrest to make sure she didn't overextend her neck. This past trip she was 7, and I didn't do that.
I'm really getting excited now! I told the 5 y.o. he could ride Splash Mountain (the one he was looking most forward to) and he ran around the house shouting - "I can ride splash mountain! I'm tall enough! What else am I tall enough to go on??" and with each answer (from your list) he ran around and shouted, "I can ride X! I'm tall enough!" until we went through each ride!

disneygirl1

I've went on two solo trips with my DS. I think he was 5 the first solo trip we took and on the second solo trip was about to turn 7. My only piece of advise is to just go with the flow. Take the parks at the slower pace and just do what you feel. One thing I found was when it was just to the two of us all day long together that my patience started to wear thin by the end of the day. It's hard not having any help, so just take a deep breath and remember you are in the happiest place on earth with the loves of your life!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Day Pack for the Parks("Purse" Carry on for TSA)

[ ] First Aid Kit
6 Gelcap Asprin, 2 Anti-Gas Chews, 2 Alka Seltzer packets, 2 Pepto Bismol pills, 1 Bacatracin Mist (anti-bacterial/pain), 15 standard size Band Aids (Barbie) packed in a small box (in this case a Johnson and Johnson first aid kit, but I've replaced all of the original contents).

[ ] Friction powered flashlight
It's always useful to have battery-less options when you need some light.

[ ] Child's Ponchos and Rain Jacket (in vacuum sealed zip lock)

[ ] Brita filter water bottle
First trip with this, but after a bout with dehydration in late May that sent me to the clinic, I'm paranoid about water intake. I'm not as young as I used to be, and I take dehydration and diet far more seriously now.

[ ] Portable Power Pack by Energizer
Great for recharging my phone and carmeras while walking around at the park.

[ ] Small Notepad and pen
Jotting notes quickly, or playing paper games like tic tac toe, hangman and squares with the kid while in a line

[ ] Antibacterial Baby Wipes in a Travel Size
Perfect for cleaning dirty hand and face after eating a Mickey Ice Cream, among other uses!

[ ] Antibacterial Hand Solution

[ ] Caribener attached to upper loop for holding hats, bags, etc.

[ ] Still/Video Camera

[ ] Extra pair of contacts and Contact Friendly Eyedrops

[ ] 2 Wisps and 1 pack of Sugarless Gum
Wisps are portable 1 use only tooth brushes

[ ] Glad Snack Size Ziplocks
For pin backers, change / pressed pennies. I empty the penny bag nightly into a larger bag, and restock the change.

[ ] Autograph Books

GenerationX

Have the boys wear matching, bright-colored shirts each day. You'll need every advantage in keeping tabs on them, and this strategy always helped us with our three sons.

kings&giants

Original Poster
Have the boys wear matching, bright-colored shirts each day. You'll need every advantage in keeping tabs on them, and this strategy always helped us with our three sons.
Good call - I know it sounds terrible but I buy some of the loudest clothing (orange & yellow winter jackets) just for that purpose! I also stuck those Mickey stickers they give out in the parks in a "hidden Mickey" design on the the older DS's back his 1st trip. Made him MUCH easier to pick out!

Courtney6682

I've traveled twice alone with my daughter. The first time in May of 2011 when she was 11 I was exhausted most days. I made the mistake of letting her be in charge of what we did, and that girl ran me RAGGED! I was 28 at the time so should have had plenty of energy lol. We went back again in Feb of 2013 for her 13th bday, and it was much better since I learned from my mistakes lol...take it slow and enjoy everything. You're lucky that u have 2 since they will play with eachother...I had to be her playmate alllll the time lol...otherwise she would have had to swim alone, and that's no fun lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom