Way to clean pins?

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
So is there any way or cleaning solvent to clean pins?:shrug:I was thinking water might work but I'm worried about rust and the paint rubbing off.

I would have posted this in the collectible forum but it's dead.:cry:

Thanks!

SAV

My wife was told to use Mr. Clean and an extra soft toothbrush for her wedding ring. Maybe that would work on the pins too. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Ummm... I have no idea...:shrug:

I wrap my pins in cloth or something ASAP, so none of them are dirty.

Sorry
It's fine...mine are all in my EPCOT shrine so they get a bit dusty.I'm going to pin trading tomorrow and I wanted to clean them.

My wife was told to use Mr. Clean and an extra soft toothbrush for her wedding ring. Maybe that would work on the pins too. :shrug:
I would worry that it would burn the paint off?:shrug:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
It's fine...mine are all in my EPCOT shrine so they get a bit dusty.I'm going to pin trading tomorrow and I wanted to clean them.

If they are only dusty I would just clean them off with a soft cloth, no liquid. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Phonedave

True...Some have a bit of grime but I'm sure I can get of off...

Thanks guys.If anyone has anything else,let's here it!:wave:

If they get dusty I use a can of "compressed air" to blow the dust off. It works very well if you have a pin with other elements and need to get the dust out of a slider or from behind a pin-on-pin feature.

If for some reason I get a pin that is really gunky that can't be dusted, I give it a shot of window cleaner, and then clean it with a paper towel. I make sure the pin is dried very well before putting it away.

-dave

brkgnews

If they get dusty I use a can of "compressed air" to blow the dust off. It works very well if you have a pin with other elements and need to get the dust out of a slider or from behind a pin-on-pin feature.

Compressed air is wonderful (and whoever invented it is a marketing genius :lol:)

Or maybe they just watched Spaceballs. Perriair, anyone? ;)

Phonedave

Compressed air is wonderful (and whoever invented it is a marketing genius :lol:)

Or maybe they just watched Spaceballs. Perriair, anyone? ;)

Did you mention Spaceballs because of the bedbug thread, or is it just a chance occurance thats its been mentioned twice in two days on these boards?m Either way, excellent refrence. :)

-dave

tigsmom

So is there any way or cleaning solvent to clean pins?:shrug:I was thinking water might work but I'm worried about rust and the paint rubbing off.

I would have posted this in the collectible forum but it's dead.:cry:

Thanks!

Disney Pins are cloisonnes (baked on enamel -glass) not paint so you don't have to worry about the colors coming off. If they are just dusty then use a dry cloth and wipe them clean. If they are truly dirty (and I have had some for years and they never get dirty even on a lanyard) then use a damp cloth and wipe dry. You may use a very mild soap, but anything stronger will damage the enamel. Never use anything citrus or acid based on your pins and never use a commercial cleaner like Mr Clean. You can clean the metal backing if it has tarnished with a brass cleaner, but be careful not to get it on the enamel.

tigsmom

That will only work for genuine hard gem stones like diamonds, emeralds, rubys, etc. Non abrasive toothpaste works wonders and is less harsh than the chemicals in Mr Clean, good old dish soap works well too, but remember to rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Then dry with a soft cloth.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Disney Pins are cloisonnes (baked on enamel -glass) not paint so you don't have to worry about the colors coming off. If they are just dusty then use a dry cloth and wipe them clean. If they are truly dirty (and I have had some for years and they never get dirty even on a lanyard) then use a damp cloth and wipe dry. You may use a very mild soap, but anything stronger will damage the enamel. Never use anything citrus or acid based on your pins and never use a commercial cleaner like Mr Clean. You can clean the metal backing if it has tarnished with a brass cleaner, but be careful not to get it on the enamel.

Thanks...Will do!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom