1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Parks in "winter?"

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Planning' started by Squigglove, May 15, 2017.

1. Squigglove

Squigglove Active Member

Are the Water Parks open during winter months (specifically the last week of Dec)?
    Is it hot enough to attend (say, the last week of December)?

I've read that it's a "warm" 75f during December. But does that mean it's hot enough for water?

What say you?
    Thanks much!

2. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

One typically will be open while one will be down for refurb. They will however close if the weather is deemed to cold regardless of a refurb.

"Warm enough" is up to the individual. It is generally not warm enough for me, but I have lived in Florida for 45 years. Someone from say, Alberta, might have a different opinion.

DPN and Rob562 like this.
  3. JIMINYCR

JIMINYCR Well-Known Member

A lot of times you will see Disney posting that a water park is closed due to cold weather. DS swam on the swim team and was used to swimming in unheated pools, so when we went to WDW the water temps never bothered him.... but I won't even consider going in.....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  4. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

73 degrees is the average HIGH temperature, and the days are very short, meaning most of the time it's in the high 60s.

5. Rob562

Rob562 Well-Known Member

We're from New England, and the winter weather in Orlando is usually nice enough for us to swim in the pools during the day, perhaps a quick dip at night, but once we get out of the pool there's not much lounge-around time as it's usually too cool. Compare that to a water park where you're in and out of the water a lot, and you can get chilly pretty easily.

We went the first week of November a couple years ago, and did a day at Blizzard Beach. The weather was pleasant during the day, warm enough that we didn't get cold, but as the sun started to get lower in the sky, the temperature dropped *very* quickly. We were at the back of the park when we decided we were done for the day and made the mistake of riding the lazy river around to our chairs and locker at the front of the park. We were *cold* when it came time to get out of the river, dry off and get changed.

If you are considering a water park, be flexible on what day you'll go. Check the forecast at the start of your trip and choose the warmest day for your visit. (That's what we're doing this November with our Universal trip. We are interested in going to Volcano Bay and have the flexibility to choose just about any day that week to go, but if the weather will be too cool all week we'll skip it)

-Rob

6. felipenor

felipenor Active Member

I'm from Brazil and I once went to Aquatica and Wet n Wild during January and the weather was OK. Just check the forecast before and choose the warmest days to go because the weather can make quite a difference from one day to the next.

7. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

This was way back in 2006, but my wife and I went to Blizzard Beach in January when the high was probably around 60. It was chilly to walk around wet, but the water was heated enough to feel really good. It was DEAD; it honestly would not shock me if there were as many lifeguards as guests, so we had the run of the place. It was worth doing just for that alone.

Edit: We're from Buffalo.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  8. lightguy

lightguy New Member

We've been to Disney at Christmas when it was BELOW FREEZING- literally it was 31 when we were in the MK at 1AM. We've also been to WDW in Jan/Feb when it was HOT and went swimming in the hotel pool at night with 2 year olds. There's really no way to guess.

9. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

As PP have said, one of the two waterparks will typically be open weather permitting, while the other will be closed for refurbishment. The schedule for that should come out soon.

The water is heated and kept at a constant temperature so you are usually fine while in the water, but the issue becomes when you get out of the water. Even if the water temp is 80 but the air temp is only 50, it's going to be pretty frigid to run from slide to slide dripping wet. So the pool at your hotel may be a great option as you can just stay in the water, but walking up to the top of the waterslides may be pushing it.