Water Park Wars.

DABIGCHEEZ

I remember my parents taking me there sometime in mid-late 70's. I am not sure the Water park was there yet as I just remember the Alpine slide and a Skateboard park-type attraction. I rode the Alpine slide with my father. I do recall seeing a few folks carrying down their sleds and actually saw a kid go up and over the turn wall on the slide. Even though you controlled it... it wasn't at all safe. I was never allowed to go to Action Park, although I always wanted to.

The Empress Lilly

If UNI is building a Tiki water park next to sixties Cabana Bay then I am permanently moving in there. Really.

Going to get me a girlfriend who looks like she walked away from a 1966 movie set and then my life is complete.

Tiki by now is not so much a geographical style as a historical style, mid-century exoticism. It could go so well with Cabana if they would integrate them.

Tony Perkis

If UNI is building a Tiki water park next to sixties Cabana Bay then I am permanently moving in there. Really.

Going to get me a girlfriend who looks like she walked away from a 1966 movie set and then my life is complete.

Tiki by now is not so much a geographical style as a historical style, mid-century exoticism. It could go so well with Cabana if they would integrate them.
With your name, honest to God, no insult, thought you were female.

Mouse_Trap

I love both the Disney water parks, really I do. But even for a visitor who only gets across every couple of year.....things have gone stale, very stale.

It's now 18 years since I first went to either.....and if I'm not mistaken only Crush 'n Gusher has been added. Even that is a quite disappointing, long waits, carrying tubes for a mildly exciting ride.

Thinking mainly about domestic visitors....the issue I see, even if the new waterpark is by far the best in the world, it's still not going to move the crowds from Disney.
For many, the addon days at a Disney waterpark are a very cheap or low cost addition.

Where it works better is trying to get people to take a Universal only break, a waterpark will likely help them decide to stay on-site and not visit Disney because there's a good 5-6 days worth to see at Universal.

For international visitors who typically come for 2 weeks, it's a bit different because you've always been able to fit both Universal and Disney (although Disney's sneeky ticketing tries to persuade you not too).

I really hope Universal produce a really top class park here. I'm still probably going to prefer the theming of the Disney waterparks (all comes down to the character sets), but will sure look forward to Universal's new offering. I would love to think this will force Disney to up their game, but for the reasons above I'm sceptical.

cheezbat

I love both the Disney water parks, really I do. But even for a visitor who only gets across every couple of year.....things have gone stale, very stale.

It's now 18 years since I first went to either.....and if I'm not mistaken only Crush 'n Gusher has been added. Even that is a quite disappointing, long waits, carrying tubes for a mildly exciting ride.

Thinking mainly about domestic visitors....the issue I see, even if the new waterpark is by far the best in the world, it's still not going to move the crowds from Disney.
For many, the addon days at a Disney waterpark are a very cheap or low cost addition.

Where it works better is trying to get people to take a Universal only break, a waterpark will likely help them decide to stay on-site and not visit Disney because there's a good 5-6 days worth to see at Universal.

For international visitors who typically come for 2 weeks, it's a bit different because you've always been able to fit both Universal and Disney (although Disney's sneeky ticketing tries to persuade you not too).

I really hope Universal produce a really top class park here. I'm still probably going to prefer the theming of the Disney waterparks (all comes down to the character sets), but will sure look forward to Universal's new offering. I would love to think this will force Disney to up their game, but for the reasons above I'm sceptical.

While I agree with much of what you say, Universal will also have a huge pull from the locals. Wet N Wild and Aquatica have a pretty strong annual passholder base from what I've heard, and Universal has a pretty big passholder following already, so pulling from those people as well as taking away some people from WNW and Aquatica as well as their Waterpark being the new kid in town, I think it'll perform very well. (I'm a WDW Waterpark passholder...but I'm not going to renew starting next year.)

Honestly, if it takes even a slight chunk of Disney's guests, I see WDW's reaction being an attraction added to each of their waterparks...(but thats probably all.) I could see something like a Tornado added to Typhoon Lagoon and one of those Tornadowave slides added to Blizzard Beach. After that, I bet it would be another decade at least until either park sees anything new.

wedenterprises

Really?

Then I'm betting it'll be a big showcase of their best attractions...which is awesome because they have some of the greatest rides.

I'm hoping to see a few record breakers in their lineup!

Yes really. I'm sure it will be all their major rides. If themed well, WDW better start thinking about upgrades to BB and TL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom