Blizzard Beach technical issues (March 2016)

surfsupdon

Original Poster
Last minute Blizzard closure today.

Typhoon should be opening at noon to compensate.

Here at Caribbean Beach now, after tons of morning misinformation from Cast as we traveled to Blizzard.

Bolt

Also reiterates that Typhoons extended refurb wasn't necessary and was potentially for cutting.
I don't think that one is much of a secret. It's traditionally cold up until this month so there isn't a great need to have both open.

Theres hundred of waterparks in north america ... Pretty sure none of them are having that much problem pumping water to their highlight slide ?!

ewensell3

I think it's more a matter of guest count than temperature. Jan/Feb aren't exactly peak vacation months and Spring Break is just getting started. Makes complete sense to close a waterpark for refurb and just keep it closed until guest counts or other events justify reopening.

montyz81

I think it's more a matter of guest count than temperature. Jan/Feb aren't exactly peak vacation months and Spring Break is just getting started. Makes complete sense to close a waterpark for refurb and just keep it closed until guest counts or other events justify reopening.
Wish they would apply that sense to closing major attractions in late spring and early summer. BTMRR,

Biff215

I don't think that one is much of a secret. It's traditionally cold up until this month so there isn't a great need to have both open.
I believe they were referring to the extra time added on to the standard closure for the colder months. That announcement came on short notice which do doubt disappointed some guests who had planned at the now-standard 180 days. Today makes it clear that it was about cost cutting.

These frequent issues at Bizzard are concerning. Of course things will happen from time to time, but it's becoming quite common. Today it's not a huge deal when Typhoon was sitting empty, but in the summer this can cause chaos when they either close the park or two of its signature attractions.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pretty easy to do when you drain everything and there isn't an ounce of water in those pipes in the winter....continue about your normal anti-Disney doom and gloom fear mongering

Not true unless you pull a vacuum in the pipes and fill with dry nitrogen and have all openings sealed to prevent air and water ingress. And water parks don't go to those lengths up here. yeah I'm an engineer and I'm pretty familiar with how systems behave in cold weather.

For the scientifically challenged water expands 9% when it freezes so even the SMALLEST bit of water is a pump or pipe joint can and does cause a huge amount of damage.

Yet up here in the frozen north the water parks are all open by Memorial day with no 'unscheduled downtime'. And even up here pipes are run through rockwork yet that rockwork has maintenance access.

Yet WDW never has sustained freezing temperature and their signature water attractions are down because of leaks and pump failures, So either the most incompetent maintenance crews on the planet or they are skimping on maintenance which should be easy given the climate in FL

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To fix the issue with summit plummet and slush gusher

The same issues they have not been able to fix for the last 2 years, You know when you fix something sometimes you need to actually REPLACE failed parts Duct tape, RTV Silicone and JB Weld just don't get major repairs done no matter how much management wants them to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom