Water Mania Closing Its Doors

speck76

Original Poster
After nearly 20 years of serving millions of guests, a Central Florida attraction is closing its doors.

Water Mania opened in 1986 on U.S. Highway 192 near Disney World, WESH 2 News reported.

At the time it boasted the largest wave pool anywhere in the region.

Its popularity peaked in the mid-90s, when 500,000 people a year passed through the turnstiles.

But competition from Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and other attractions has fatally wounded the Kissimmee business.

The owners of the park and a neighboring property containing the Country Hearth Hotel and the Racin' Station Go Kart track are closing and selling all 45 acres.

Water Mania will close at the end of business on Labor Day, but one of its competitors, Wet 'n Wild, will host a job fair that day for the roughly 75 employees losing their jobs.

Wet 'n Wild will also honor Water Mania customers still holding day tickets or seasonal passes

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
I'm just curious on the property value. whoeover buys it is obviously going to have raze it. and there's a lot of infrastructure with a waterpark.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Another one bites the dust... Splendid China, Boardwalk and Baseball....

Hopefully the employees can find new work thanks to Wet`n`Wild's offer.

speck76

Original Poster
Kissimmee water park is sold, will close Sept. 5

Danielle De Pari | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted August 26, 2005

KISSIMMEE -- Water Mania, Kissimmee's first water park, will close on Labor Day. The family-owned company on West U.S. Highway 192 has been sold along with the Country Hearth Hotel next door.

The 36-acre park, which has been a Kissimmee tourist destination since 1986, was owned by Gary and Randy Larson of Kissimmee. The hotel, formerly known as Larsons' Lodge, is on 9 acres and was owned by the brothers and other members of the Larson family.

Both properties are being purchased by the same buyer. Closing is set for next month.

"We did not put it up for sale; we were approached by buyers back in January," Vice President and co-owner Randy Larson said Thursday.

Larson would not disclose the selling price or the buyer's identity. Nor would he say what the buyer plans to do with the property, which is across from the entrance to Celebration.

He said the sale is not due to a lack of business.

"We had our best July ever, and August has been good," senior Vice President and General Manager Robert Keane said.

Water Mania employs 96 people -- 15 are full time and the rest are seasonal.

The company plans to hold job fairs and place employees in other sectors of the tourism industry. Wet 'n Wild will hold a job fair on Sept. 5, Water Mania's last day of operation.

Other employees will be given jobs in other companies owned by the Larsons, such as Eagles Wings, an athletic- and inspirational-products store in Kissimmee.

The hotel had employed about 40 people, and all but 15 have found other employment since the company announced it was selling the hotel two months ago.

Single-day and season passes for Water Mania may be redeemed for admission at Wet 'n Wild, the company said in a news release.

Larson said he is proud that a family-owned company such as his has been able to be successful in the area's tourism industry for so long.

"We're moving in a different direction," he said of his family's business interests. "But I'm proud we've competed for 20 years against some of the biggest attractions in the world."

Larson said he and his family are planning some real-estate endeavors, but said that doesn't mean they may not return to the tourism industry.

"We love tourism; we've been successful in it for 30 years," he said. "It's in our blood."

Tim Hemphill, executive director of Osceola's Tourist Development Council, said the closing is sad because the Larson family and Water Mania are a part of the area's tourism legacy.

"They will always be a part of the fabric of the tourism community, there is no doubt about it," he said.

Throughout the years, Water Mania has worked with school districts across Central Florida, donating more than a quarter-million dollars to Parent Teacher Associations, Keane said.

Danielle De Pari can be reached at ddepari@orlandosentinel.com or 407-931-5951.

Ducky_Love

speck76 said:
"We did not put it up for sale; we were approached by buyers back in January," Vice President and co-owner Randy Larson said Thursday.

Larson would not disclose the selling price or the buyer's identity. Nor would he say what the buyer plans to do with the property, which is across from the entrance to Celebration.

Word on my side of the strip is the land is for Condos (possibly a condo hotel). Gossip for what gossip is worth.... :rolleyes:

crazygirley

What a crying shame.

Although I can't say that I was ever fortunate enough to experience Water Mania firsthand, I can say that I have enjoyed it's ambiance many times as I have driven by it... it's up there in beauty next to the World's Largest Orange building, Alligator Motel, Shell World, and the many other wonderful landmarks along 192.

It will truly be missed...

TheDisneyMagic

Such a shame to see companies such as these go under, On my last visit over December most of the area had be bulldozed.

Has anyone got any updates of what the area is like now?

There are quite a few parts of the US192 that are starting to look quite a wreck now, it's a shame I would like to see some of these places either bulldozed or fixed up.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
jddjcfc said:
After being reminded of Water Mania by this thread I thought I would check thier site, http://www.watermania-florida.com just shows their logo with link to a PDF (I can't read that at the moment becauase I haven't currently got a PDF reader installed.

But http://www.watermania-florida.com/info.htm takes you to their site and it is completely running, you would have thought that they would have taken this down.
"PRESS RELEASE
(For Immediate Release)
August 25, 2005
Dear Friends and Family of Water Mania,
After 20 seasons of working together with you to provide a safe and fun filled day for the
entire Family, Water Mania will open and close its doors for the last time on Labor Day,
Sept 5th, 2005.
Since that first season in the summer of 1986, we have strived to keep an atmosphere that
was conducive to having safe family fun. We have enjoyed hiring and training your sons
and daughters, which for many, was their first job. We appreciate the many partnerships
we have had in the local community and indeed the nation and world as a whole.
Over the next several days, we hope to see many of our friends one last time. After the 5th
of September and through the end of October 2005, holders of season passes may redeem
them for admission at Wet ‘n Wild, located in Orlando on International Drive.
All guest services, complimentary and splash back passes are valid only at Water Mania
through September 5, 2005.
Our sincerest “thank you” to the friends and family of Water Mania,
The Larson Family and Water Mania Team"

Tim G

Ducky_Love said:
Word on my side of the strip is the land is for Condos (possibly a condo hotel). Gossip for what gossip is worth.... :rolleyes:
You could be right on this thing... I've heard whispering in that same direction...

TheDisneyMagic

unkadug said:
"PRESS RELEASE
(For Immediate Release)
August 25, 2005
Dear Friends and Family of Water Mania,
After 20 seasons of working together with you to provide a safe and fun filled day for the
entire Family, Water Mania will open and close its doors for the last time on Labor Day,
Sept 5th, 2005.
Since that first season in the summer of 1986, we have strived to keep an atmosphere that
was conducive to having safe family fun. We have enjoyed hiring and training your sons
and daughters, which for many, was their first job. We appreciate the many partnerships
we have had in the local community and indeed the nation and world as a whole.
Over the next several days, we hope to see many of our friends one last time. After the 5th
of September and through the end of October 2005, holders of season passes may redeem
them for admission at Wet ‘n Wild, located in Orlando on International Drive.
All guest services, complimentary and splash back passes are valid only at Water Mania
through September 5, 2005.
Our sincerest “thank you” to the friends and family of Water Mania,
The Larson Family and Water Mania Team"
Thank you very much. :)

maelstrom

I drove by in December and was surprised to see that they wasted no time in demolishing the park. First it was Xanadu, now Water Mania. How sad.

Figment1986

the entire area is booming with companies wanting to build condos... it's happening in Tampa, it's going to happen in some areas of the Orlando region...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom