Watch This Space: New Fall TV Edition

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Original Poster
This year’s new Fall TV has some good offerings and some stinky ones. I have elected to watch them all and give you my thoughts on your DVR fodder. Is this arrogant? Yes! Will it be accurate? Yes! Do I have good hair and too much time on my hands? Of course….

Let’s get started with Monday’s offerings shall we?

You have to know that anything put up in a Monday time slot is either really good or on the chopping block from the start. When you put something against Monday Night Football in the fall you are asking for disappointment. When a pilot debut’s in this spot, the Networks usually give the show a weekend spot too. This will pacify a show runner who feels his show isn’t being given a fair shake.

Blindspot

This show has quite a bit going for it. The premise is not weighted down by too much early exposition. The heroine’s character has the first part of her backstory revealed in the pilot. It does have the predictable flow to it that many audiences want. (Yes, it’s true, most people don’t want to think while they watch something.) It’s not spoon fed plot but we already see that our main characters have individual backstory that will fall in line with the plot during the first season.

This show might be worth the watch. I found myself engaged in it right away. (No, it wasn’t because there was a naked woman at the beginning.) The tattoo wrinkle will be fun to explore.

This one get 7 out of 10. Next week’s episode will be the decider for me.

Life in Pieces

I really like 5 of these actors. They are one of the best things going for it. 22 minutes of funny,awkward.Hmmmm. Where have I seen that before? I may be the right age for this show, so it is getting a season pass from me until it does something wrong.

Telling a story in parts isn’t new. The character's are like-able right away and the stories are very real in our Modern world.

If you missed it, you can stream it right from CBS’s website or app. The only problem, you can’t skip the commercials.

This one gets 8 out of 10.

Minority Report

What an anemic offering and I love Sci-Fi. I loved the premise. Maybe the Tom Cruise version of this killed it off for me. There are some great action-ish scenes. The characters are not hard to to like but I didn’t find myself caring. I don’t think the show is invested in us caring.

I can’t really add much more than, I am done with this show. Watch it if you must. Let me know if it gets better.

This one gets a 4 out of 10.

Crazy Ex-Girlfirend

Ummmm...yeah.... This starts on October 12... Good luck to it. I'll watch the first episode, bash it, and then wait for another retread of it to bash....We'll get to it when it comes.

So that's is for Monday's new shows... See you tomorrow for Tuesday's offerings which include: Muppets, Limitless, Grandfathered, The Grinder, Scream Queens, and Best Time Ever (<-- actually episode 2).

*1023*

Original Poster
So after yesterday's edition, I though I'd adopt a quieter, gentler approach. Then I watched the new program offerings and that was not something I could bring myself to do this morning.

Let's get started with Tuesday's offerings shall we.

The Muppet's

This is one reboot I was really hoping would break the mold and be great. Reboot is not really the right word since the classic show was a variety spoof and this one is a talk show spoof. It is supposed to be shot documentary style similar to The Office and many folks (even here on these Forums) are calling it 30 Rock. My take away is they moved away from the purpose of the Muppets existence in Prime Time to begin with.

Most adults watch cartoon/animated stuff to poke fun at their day to day lives or even their caricatures of their lives. The Muppets appeared on TV to present a different world entirely. My objection to the show isn't the poor voice acting, reality show presentation, or the complete disregard for a cohesive story line. I think it failed to remove us from our day to day lives. It wasn't very bad. It just wasn't very good.

For me, this show needed to be a "home run" right out of the gate. It needed to deliver starting with episode one just like Modern Family, BBT, and the Original Muppet Show. I hope with a few more episodes it can become what it should be, but I am afraid it won't. This show is just missing the whole point.

This thing gets a disappointing 5 out of 10 and only two more chances from me.

Grandfathered and The Grinder

These shows premier next week so I'll give you my thoughts then. I don't expect much based on the clips I've seen so far. I am still holding out judgement though as Rob Lowe can really drive the right show.

Scream Queens

Here is another show I was hoping would deliver. After all, the show's creator (Ryan Murphy) has done some remarkable things recently. But that seems to be the problem with this show. It feels like the combination of ideas and little more than that.

Two hours was too long for the opening of this show(basically 2 Episodes). It should have just started with it's normal one hour format and at least given itself a chance at more than 13 episodes. Killing off characters should make you feel something right? I am afraid in this show, you won't actually care.

Jamie Lee Curtis will get on my nerves, Emma Roberts will get on my nerves, this show will get on your nerves. If that is what you are looking for in TV, you found your Valhalla.

The only thing that may be fun is to watch Red Devil develop. I don't know if I can watch another take on American Horror Story, even if it is funny. Maybe there is too many Ryan Murphy products all at once. I'll give it two more weeks (just like muppets) to change my mind.

This one gets a 5 out of 10 (also just like muppets). Strange how an hour and a half more of something can't get a better grade.

Limitless

The new show makes no attempt to separate itself from it's source material. In fact, it embraces it as part of it's story line. Picking up where the movie leaves off in the development of the same psychotropic, brain enhancing clarity drug that we all wish existed.

The protagonist becomes embroiled in the investigation of a friend's murder who just happened to give him his first dose of NZT. He's a suspect (of course), also borrowing from parts of the movie's story line. The result of the story is predictable but in a satisfying way that sets up the real purpose of the show.

I always admit bias when I watch something that I then give my opinion on. I liked the movie. It got a B+ on a movie review that I did. It is a disengage your brain, nod to comic book fans without the super powers angle. The TV show may prove to be the same thing.

The real weakness I saw was in the early character development. That won't be a problem if the show makes a full run this season. Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) is very good at playing a hidden soft-heart cop-type. If Jake McDorman doesn't have to act too much, this show may be a hit long term.

I grade this one at a 7.5 out of 10. It could be more and I hope it will. It earned a season pass on my DVR.

Best Time Ever with NPH

After watching this show twice I can say, I did not have the Best Time Ever. I don't think you will either. I like a well done variety show. They were a pure form of "reality" TV before we really had the genre. Most evening talk shows had variety elements. If you are old like me you still remember The Gong Show.

NPH gives you none of that. He would probably much rather have a talk show than variety show as he never lets his guests be the star. If it were named the "Look, I'm cooler than everyone... with NPH" then it would be aptly named.
I say this all very sadly as I love NPH. Someone should just dial him back a bit and remind him it's the guests who are the stars on a variety show.

Anyway, this thing gets a 4 out of 10 for now. I'll watch 1 more and then call this one a waste.Maybe week 3 will be the "Best" after all isn't the third time a charm?

Only 1 New Show premiers tonight. It's Fox's "Rosewood". We have to wait until the 30th for "Code Black" on CBS. If the buzz I am hearing on "Rosewood" is any indication, it will be short lived as will "Code Black" unless people think another ER, House, or similar show is what is really missing from their life.

Until tomorrow then...

*1023*

Last edited:

Original Poster
Wednesday's new show. That's right, just one new show on Wednesday. Next Wednesday we get Code Black and I have to tell you, that is not super exciting.

Let's get started with Wednesday's show shall we?

Rosewood

I have to say that this show surprised me. It started with strong character development and made you buy-in early. The chronically ill medical examiner/doctor has been done before a couple of times but not quite this way. The tough female partner with vulnerability has been done before, but again differently.

If this show premiered on FX, USA, TNT or some similar cable channel, I would say it had an excellent chance. Since this found it's way up into the broadcast big boy pants level, I am afraid it may not stick around. That could be a shame.

Morris Chestnut is very good in the role of "Rosie" and his natural charisma comes through in this character. The writing is excellent and if the stories that drive this procedural are compelling, it could be a real gem. Some people may call this show a bit and cheesy (some critics too), I would call in endearing.

This one get a 7.5 out of 10 but I am afraid it may not make it to May.

Thursday's all NBC programming newbies are Heroes Reborn and The Player. I am looking forward to watching these after the football game. Until tomorrow.

*1023*

Original Poster
Thursday's 2 new offerings were good. Mostly. There are some factors that go into that.

Let's get started with Thursday's shows, shall we.

Heroes Reborn

Well, if you liked Heroes originally, you'll like this show. What little there will be of it anyway. It was predictable from the stand point of the same conflicts, in different forms, by some different characters. A morality lesson about treating everyone the same despite their varying abilities. All of the critical things you could say about the original, are all back in a short season one off.

I still liked it. There are holes. Big ones. Characters missing, story line issues, exposition problems, but it was still what you liked about the first one. If you liked the first one. I am disappointed though. I was hoping for some new take that was less dystopian xenophobia. Oh Well.

This one gets a 6 of 10. It was a good idea to approach the Heroes Universe again but just retreading the same tire may not be worth it to some.

The Player

Well if the first episode of this show is any indication, this one might stick around for a while. The opening sequence does exactly what you hope for, it brings you in. Characters are defined, stereotyped, and attractive. Wesley Snipes does not ruin it. I'll say that again for those that didn't believe it the first time. Wesley Snipes does not ruin it. In fact, the action movie, popcorn flick that Wesley was famous for is exactly what this show is.

The Player, Alex Kane is unwittingly drawn into a world of betting on crime. He has a motive to be in this world and you should watch it to find out what it is. All of this works. This show is a no brainer. Leave your brain out of it. Enjoy it in the tradition of Running Man, Demolition Man, and so many other belief suspension action movies.

Cassandra is a great vehicle to convey the setup. Her selected injection as a resource (The Dealer) is a nice wrinkle that moves things along. The first bet helps outline the rules for Alex. His first visit to "The House" further breaks down the rules of the game.

Wesley Snipes is Mr. Johnson "The Pit Boss" and does an excellent job of being a bad guy. He seems more than an even match for Alex early on. He also plays on Alex's background to get what he wants.

Take my word for it, this is worth your time.

I give this one 8 out of 10. It appeals to the action hero in all of us.

Since Dr. Ken and Truth Be Told don't premier until the 2nd and the 16th we will have to wait until next week for a couple more premier episodes.

*1023*

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom