Wasting FP+

BigRedDad

We are at our 30 day window with our new APs. I am finding this new system is completely useless. I am making choices for what remains available just to have them. The times that come back are usually horrible. I am still taking them, but most likely will not use many of them. That means that there are less for everyone else. That is not my fault though. The old system worked much better and was not exclusionary.

The good thing for us running ride-to-ride is not a priority. We hit the big ones early and enjoy everything else the rest of the day. There are only a small handful of must-do's for us and we can get those knocked out in the first hour a park is open. The rest is whateever we come up on.

loriloughs

We went to Food and Wine in September. It was our first experience with MDE and FP+. We had the same issue-they make you reserve 3 FPs but we didn't want them all. I made most of them for the a.m. (Except 7dmt -the only time I could get was 2:30-3:30 and I checked every day for 59 days and no other times were available-EVER!). I heard that after the time expires you can make new fastpasses. What I found you CANNOT do is use one and then try to cancel the rest. I thought there was something wrong with MDE but a cast member told me you can't cancel unless it's all 3! All these little quirky things! Also, our daughter's high school band is going in May. They will have Magic Bands for their room keys and plastic hopper tickets. All will be confiscated by chaperones so the kids don't park hop or go back to the hotel. So that means they can't do fastpasses at all! And it's over Memorial Day weekend with Star Wars weekend also. Ugh!!!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

At least with the old FP if you had the paper pass and decided for whatever reason you werent going to use them you could make someone else happy by handing them off to someone waiting in line or a passing stranger. Its senseless now ... why are you made to book them at all if you know you arent going to use them and knowingly block someone else out? Disney's biggest blunder in a long time.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Very thoughtful :(

The system makes it hard to be charitable -- MM+ won't let you reserve only the 1 or 2 FP+ you want in a day and leave the rest for someone else -- you have to make three in a park even if you don't want to use them all. If we had to "waste" FP+, we at least tried to make them for attractions that don't really require a FP+ anyway, so we weren't really taking anything away from someone else who could have made good use of it...

Upvote 0

stevehousse

By any chance are you just going by what they give you and leaving them alone? Or any trying to go back and change the times and finding no other times available? The one they spit out at you usually are never good, but if you go in an edit the times you usually can get much better times.

Upvote 0

MrNonacho

Premium Member
After you book your three, you can go back and cancel one or two of them via the web site. Remember though, if you change your mind later you can't just add the one or two back without having to replace the one you kept, too.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
At least with the old FP if you had the paper pass and decided for whatever reason you werent going to use them you could make someone else happy by handing them off to someone waiting in line or a passing stranger. Its senseless now ... why are you made to book them at all if you know you arent going to use them and knowingly block someone else out? Disney's biggest blunder in a long time.
This.

I've done it.

People have done it for me.

And, it was one of the best feelings, and a unique thing, about the system. In theory, they could make the electronic ones "transferable", but it would require more effort on the part of the guest than just handing off a paper pass.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

It is very thoughtful. I had to think a lot about the passes I wanted, reserve them, and have them at the most inconvenient times. This system is horrible and if I am taking them away from other guests, that is WDW's fault. They should at least list the times when making selections.

Again are u just going by what Disney gives you and not going back and changing the times? You are able to book and then go back and change the times as long as there are other times available, and it will list for you all available times for that attraction.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Again are u just going by what Disney gives you and not going back and changing the times? You are able to book and then go back and change the times as long as there are other times available, and it will list for you all available times for that attraction.
Exactly. I just booked 27 FP+s last week and went back and changed literally every one. I understand why they have to have the option to just give you the times but I am very thankful that you can go back and move the times around now (and that function is much-improved over a year ago; the app in general works quite well for me, now).

If you choose to use your "wasted" FP+ on things like the Muppets or PhilharMagic, you aren't really hurting anyone else. Just don't waste it on Space Mountain. That would be cruel.

Upvote 0

wendysue

By any chance are you just going by what they give you and leaving them alone? Or any trying to go back and change the times and finding no other times available? The one they spit out at you usually are never good, but if you go in an edit the times you usually can get much better times.
Nope. Tried for weeks to get different times, no luck. We too, just didn't bother going to the ones we didn't want in the first place.

Upvote 0

wendysue

We are at our 30 day window with our new APs. I am finding this new system is completely useless. I am making choices for what remains available just to have them. The times that come back are usually horrible. I am still taking them, but most likely will not use many of them. That means that there are less for everyone else. That is not my fault though. The old system worked much better and was not exclusionary.

The good thing for us running ride-to-ride is not a priority. We hit the big ones early and enjoy everything else the rest of the day. There are only a small handful of must-do's for us and we can get those knocked out in the first hour a park is open. The rest is whateever we come up on.

Exactly! We just got back from a week of doing the very same thing. Could never get the times we wanted, so just used the ones we wanted and stood in line for others. First time in years that we did NOT book a bounceback.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I've booked Mission: Space more than once (I've booked it again 12/1) but I ultimately chicken out. So, there goes an unused FP+. If this were paper, I could have handed to someone. You never know, I may actually ride it this time (green NOT orange).

Upvote 0

Jae99

I had no issues at all getting the times I wanted when booking our FP's. I was very worried at the beginning since we are travelling to WDW over the Christmas week. I was able to get all the rides I wanted and was even able to change times around for various FP's as late as last week. I was surprised to see how many times were still available.

Upvote 0

smk

While I agree the old system did allow for a charity donation I will also agree that no one is forced to make a FP they don't want or can't use. Why do it if you know you won't use them?

Upvote 0

docdebbi

on the "let's be charitable" theme, same thing happened when admission tickets became magic bands, with the meal plan. you use to be able to give someone your ticket with remaining meals at the end of your trip. we have both passed some off and been the recipient of some. now, you can't do that.
Disney is counting on those unused FP to keep the line down and unused meals to keep the profits up. IMHO

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
on the "let's be charitable" theme, same thing happened when admission tickets became magic bands, with the meal plan. you use to be able to give someone your ticket with remaining meals at the end of your trip. we have both passed some off and been the recipient of some. now, you can't do that.
Disney is counting on those unused FP to keep the line down and unused meals to keep the profits up. IMHO
Um...no you couldn't. Meal plans before MBs (and after) are tied to your room reservation, not your ticket, and expired at midnight the day of checkout.

It's been like that for quite some time.

Unless I misunderstand your point?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom