Was Magic Kingdom's POTC damaged by the movie refurb?

Nemo14

I think they should totally PC-out the brides-for-sale thing and change it into a pirate-bachelor auction where the gold dubloons they raise goes to a global warming charity. They can have a big banner across the plaza explaining the whole thing.

Problem solved ;)

Everyone's happy. :happy:

The bride-for-sale thing is not all that different from reality TV shows we have now is it?

Otterhead

It's about men needing women, not to rape them. But to run households, cook clean, raise children. Things men didn't do back then.
This is the funniest thing I've read all day.
Ok, so the woman hiding in a barrel, terrified, was scared that she'd have to cook dinner.
The ladies tied up, waiting to be auctioned off, were going to be sold so they could be maids.
The pirates with crazy lustful expressions chasing women around Tortuga just wanted a nice woman to raise a happy family! Not to, y'know, have intimate relations with them. Okay!

To be clear: I am TOTALLY OKAY with the ride as-is. Or as-was. They're pirates! They do nutty things! They chase ladies, they get drunk with pigs, they set fire to a town and steal its chickens! But if we're pretending that their intentions towards women are G-rated, well, grow up, folks.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Ok, so the woman hiding in a barrel, terrified, was scared that she'd have to cook dinner.
The ladies tied up, waiting to be auctioned off, were going to be sold so they could be maids.
The pirates with crazy lustful expressions chasing women around Tortuga just wanted a nice woman to raise a happy family! Not to, y'know, have intimate relations with them. Okay!

To be clear: I am TOTALLY OKAY with the ride as-is. Or as-was. They're pirates! They do nutty things! They chase ladies, they get drunk with pigs, they set fire to a town and steal its chickens! But if we're pretending that their intentions towards women are G-rated, well, grow up, folks.
And on that note, I bow out. There's no reasoning with someone who thinks robots rape one another off stage. Buh Bye.

BoarderPhreak

ROFL... Someone's gone full überschnappen here.

I don't think the AAs are emotive enough, or the fleeting glimpses of them in the dark good enough to tell if they're "terrified" or "lustful." Where do you come up with this stuff? Your imagination sounds fertile enough to not even need a ride through PotC, especially since you've already convinced yourself of an alternate reality storyline.

Otterhead

I don't think the AAs are emotive enough, or the fleeting glimpses of them in the dark good enough to tell if anyone's "terrified" or "lustful." Where do you come up with this stuff? You imagination sounds fertile enough to not even need a ride through PotC, especially since you've already convinced yourself of an alternate reality storyline.
I guess you never really looked at the AAs? Okay!
There used to be a woman hiding in a barrel, with a scared look on her face, as a pirate tries to find her. She's gone now.
The pirates used to be chasing women around town with their tongues out and eyes bugging out, hands trying to grab ladies. Should I assume they were just thirsty?

It's adorable that you've convinced yourself that there's nothing untoward in the pirates' intentions toward ladies in the original ride, but wow, ignorance isn't an excuse.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'm just wondering when they are going to finally remove all the undertones of spousal abuse from the Carousel of Progress. I mean, it's plain to anyone with a brain that he beats his wife. Just look at him. Look at these eyes. Sure, they never depict it, but it's there.
3.JPG

BoarderPhreak

There used to be a woman hiding in a barrel, with a scared look on her face, as a pirate tries to find her. She's gone now.
The pirates used to be chasing women around town with their tongues out and eyes bugging out, hands trying to grab ladies. Should I assume they were just thirsty?

It's adorable that you've convinced yourself that there's nothing untoward in the pirates' intentions toward ladies in the original ride, but wow, ignorance isn't an excuse.

I've seen the AAs in every shape or form since almost the beginning. I even have pictures of most.

Look, Disney doesn't have a problem with leaving "Take a Wench for a Bride" in place... Why should you?

I know this wench certainly doesn't look terrified...

And this guy seems as happy as can be...

Otterhead

Look, Disney doesn't have a problem with leaving "Take a Wench for a Bride" in place... Why should you?
I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating this, but I'll try again.

I love the "Take a Wench" sign. I love the Bride Auction. I love that WDW has an entire ride about pirates sacking a town and setting it on fire. I didn't have any problem with the ride as it originally was, and think their attempts at 'softening' it over the years have been pretty hilarious, honestly. It's a ride about pirates. They do wacky nutty things and have a great time doing it! It's my favorite ride (though I wish the WDW version was as awesome as the Disneyland version).

ItlngrlBella

I absolutely love that WDW lets Gaston be so gleefully un-PC. The guys playing him are brilliant. Thanks for posting that video, I hadn't seen that one yet.

I love it too - But I'm sure there are ultra feminists who hate it... They need to go the way of the "great Horizons orange genocide."

I hope those folks do not make a stink and that gets a PC softening too. As said earlier, a former professor of mine posted some hyper-fem's blog that did that very thing.

Last edited:

Otterhead

I love it too - But I'm sure there are ultra feminists who hate it... They need to go the way of the "great Horizons orange genocide."

I hope those folks do not make a stink and that gets a PC softening too. As said earlier, a former professor of mine posted some hyper-fem's blog that did that very thing.
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Gaston's in character. He treats women like trash, says stuff like "smile like you're making me a sandwich", and is a jerk to everyone. 99.9% of people love it and egg him on to get him to be extra awful, because it's hilarious. I feel sorry for people who choose to be offended by him.

The pirates in the ride are in character too. They're awful people who ransack a city, steal its women, drink its rum, and set the whole place on fire after auctioning off its ladies. And they have a great time doing it, and it's campy and fun to watch. The late 60s were a different time, when having pirates chasing ladies (to, uh, make them maids on the ship?) was a gag you could do with no problem.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm just wondering when they are going to finally remove all the undertones of spousal abuse from the Carousel of Progress. I mean, it's plain to anyone with a brain that he beats his wife. Just look at him. Look at these eyes. Sure, they never depict it, but it's there.
3.JPG
That and the Uncle Orville bathtub scene promoting public bathing. Good grief. Disney has manipulated the 'Merican culture into the carpper.

ItlngrlBella

3.JPG

Definitely... And in the hub of the carousel he has that creepy room from 50 Shades of Grey. He has those perv eyes. :hilarious:

lazyboy97o

It's adorable that you've convinced yourself that there's nothing untoward in the pirates' intentions toward ladies in the original ride, but wow, ignorance isn't an excuse
The pirate sitting in front of the barrel in which the woman was hiding held a piece of lace fabric. It was probably just a big fancy napkin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom