Was Magic Kingdom's POTC damaged by the movie refurb?

Otterhead

Wow...even when confronted with the evidence you still play ignorant....just amazing.
Please point out exactly where I said that the Pirate AAs in the ride are literally raping women in full view. That's something you invented out of thin air.

Otterhead

You didn't say that. You claimed they were being raped eventually.
What I said repeatedly was that having pirates stealing women and selling tied-up ladies at an auction had some cartoonishly unsavory overtones, which fits with the rest of the ride (pillaging, arson, etc). I also said that there were a lot of complaints back in the day that having pirates with grabby hands and panting tongues chasing scared ladies around town certainly seemed kinda rapey, which is why they changed it to women chasing men & trying to bash them on the head. I certainly don't think the pirates were trying to steal women so they could just settle down and have an all-American family :) But no, I was not trying to state that there was actual rape going on in the ride, which is why I never said so. Those words were put in my mouth by others.

EDIT: I got my replies mixed up. Apologies!

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Ah, I see, now you're changing your story. That's convenient! Thank you for admitting that.

And no, again, what I said repeatedly was that having pirates stealing women and selling tied-up ladies at an auction had some cartoonishly unsavory overtones, which fits with the rest of the ride (pillaging, arson, etc). I also said that there were a lot of complaints back in the day that having pirates with grabby hands and panting tongues chasing scared ladies around town certainly seemed kinda rapey, which is why they changed it to women chasing men & trying to bash them on the head. I certainly don't think the pirates were trying to steal women so they could just settle down and have an all-American family :) But no, I was not trying to state that there was actual rape going on in the ride, which is why I never said so. Those words were put in my mouth by others.

Holy mackerel. A quick recap of your posts.

I'm OK with PotC being less rape-y than it was when it opened.

Goodness! Psychotic! I guess I misunderstood what pirates actually did when pillaging towns. Ahem.

Exactly. I'm not being ultra-PC here, folks. That's what pirates DID. They raped and pillaged, and quite honestly, I think it's great that Disney still has a ride that's so un-PC that it's got a Bride Auction alongside all the pillaging and stuff. Apparently using the "r-word" makes people freak out, as opposed to "women sold as brides". Got it!

Oh! I'm a maniac now. Wow, you people are hilarious!

Jesus christ. I'm sorry I used the "r word" to explain what's actually happening in your favorite ride. Did you never realize what pirates do with women they steal from towns they're pillaging? Haha! Wow! Amazing!

By the way: the ghosts in Haunted Mansion are meant to be dead people who died. Sorry if that's a shock too!

You are claiming rape is bring insinuated. We all said, no it's not. You dug your heels in and said, yes it was! That was the entire argument. Did you not realize what you were arguing about?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Please point out exactly where I said that the Pirate AAs in the ride are literally raping women in full view. That's something you invented out of thin air.
I never invented anything. I just go by what you said. If you can't stand up for what you said, then how do you expect anyone to believe a word you say?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Disneyland giving Pirates of the Caribbean a politically correct makeover

By JOHN ANTCZAK
Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Gluttony will replace l u s t when Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride reopens in March after a two-month makeover designed in part to make the 30-year-old attraction more politically correct.

The boat cruise that takes riders through fireflies and time to watch scenes of drinking, fighting, thieving buccaneers will no longer show the robotic pirates chasing terrified village maidens for the sexist joy of it.

Instead, those maidens will be carrying trays of turkey and wine.

"The object of their chase will be food,'' Disneyland spokeswoman Susan Roth said Friday in a telephone interview from the Anaheim park.

Added Disneyland spokesman Tom Brocato: "We're sensitive to issues that might be politically incorrect.''

While Ms. Roth insisted the main reason for the shutdown is to install a computerized ride control system, she said the pirates' behavior has drawn some guest comments.

A scene in which an auctioneer takes pirates' bids on the town's women will remain but there will be some changes. Ms. Roth did not know what those changes will be.

Other characters will amplify the food theme, including a pirate sitting on a keg while holding fruit which a horse is pilfering, and a pirate on a barrel who spills rum.

Longtime fans of the rowdy pirates may not welcome the change, but feminists were pleased.

"Chasing women may be entertaining to men but not to women,'' said Judy Rosener, a management professor and women's issues expert at the University of California, Irvine. "And just because pirates did such things doesn't mean Disney has to depict it.''

Disney World in Florida also has a Pirates of the Caribbean ride, but Roth did not know if any changes were planned there.

Otterhead

I never invented anything. I just go by what you said. If you can't stand up for what you said, then how do you expect anyone to believe a word you say?
I see, so you can't actually point out where I said this imaginary thing you're pretending I said. Got it. Moving on!

Otterhead

Holy mackerel. A quick recap of your posts.
Yes, I absolutely said that real pirates raped and pillaged. And yes, I absolutely said that there were complaints that the ride was a bit 'rapey' when it opened, leading to changes in the 90s. You, somehow, took that to mean that I invented a scenario in which the AAs in the ride were raping women off-stage. You said that. I did not. Clear now?

unkadug

Yes, I absolutely said that real pirates raped and pillaged. And yes, I absolutely said that there were complaints that the ride was a bit 'rapey' when it opened, leading to changes in the 90s. You, somehow, took that to mean that I invented a scenario in which the AAs in the ride were raping women off-stage. You said that. I did not. Clear now?
I'm sorry I used the "r word" to explain what's actually happening in your favorite ride.

Otterhead

I guess you can't read either.
Ok, now you're just trolling. This isn't productive. So let's be clear here.
You claim that I posted that the pirates in PotC are actually, really raping women in the ride. I'm asking you to point out where I said anything like that. You are unable to do so, because I did not say that. Are we clear?

unkadug

Ok, now you're just trolling. This isn't productive. So let's be clear here.
You claim that I posted that the pirates in PotC are actually, really raping women in the ride. I'm asking you to point out where I said anything like that. You are unable to do so, because I did not say that. Are we clear?
How many times does it have to be posted?

You seem to be the one that is trolling.

Otterhead

Oh lordy. Now you're extrapolating, which is hilarious! No, I didn't mean that there was actual rape going on, for god's sake. I meant that the storyline had pirates stealing women. Context is important, folks! Taking one line out of context sure does mean what you want it to mean!

unkadug

Oh lordy. Now you're extrapolating, which is hilarious! No, I didn't mean that there was actual rape going on, for god's sake. I meant that the storyline had pirates stealing women. Context is important, folks! Taking one line out of context sure does mean what you want it to mean!
Now you want to argue context when discussing a Disney attraction? :hilarious:

Perhaps you should have thought this through before accusing Disney of advocating rape.

lazyboy97o

Now you want to argue context when discussing a Disney attraction? :hilarious:

Perhaps you should have thought this through before accusing Disney of advocating rape.
Nobody said Disney was advocating rape. Does Disney advocate shooting guns at people or theft or selling people because it is depicted in the ride?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Disneyland giving Pirates of the Caribbean a politically correct makeover

By JOHN ANTCZAK
Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Gluttony will replace l u s t when Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride reopens in March after a two-month makeover designed in part to make the 30-year-old attraction more politically correct.

The boat cruise that takes riders through fireflies and time to watch scenes of drinking, fighting, thieving buccaneers will no longer show the robotic pirates chasing terrified village maidens for the sexist joy of it.

Instead, those maidens will be carrying trays of turkey and wine.

"The object of their chase will be food,'' Disneyland spokeswoman Susan Roth said Friday in a telephone interview from the Anaheim park.

Added Disneyland spokesman Tom Brocato: "We're sensitive to issues that might be politically incorrect.''

While Ms. Roth insisted the main reason for the shutdown is to install a computerized ride control system, she said the pirates' behavior has drawn some guest comments.

A scene in which an auctioneer takes pirates' bids on the town's women will remain but there will be some changes. Ms. Roth did not know what those changes will be.

Other characters will amplify the food theme, including a pirate sitting on a keg while holding fruit which a horse is pilfering, and a pirate on a barrel who spills rum.

Longtime fans of the rowdy pirates may not welcome the change, but feminists were pleased.

"Chasing women may be entertaining to men but not to women,'' said Judy Rosener, a management professor and women's issues expert at the University of California, Irvine. "And just because pirates did such things doesn't mean Disney has to depict it.''

Disney World in Florida also has a Pirates of the Caribbean ride, but Roth did not know if any changes were planned there.

Right. Nothing about rape.

@unkadug already showed you what you said. You continue to try and dance around it o make yourself sound less crazy. Unfortunately, it's having the opposite effect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom