Was "Journey Into *Your* Imagination" really worse than the current version?

Figaro928

I think while still weak, the 3 one has the slight edge over the second. I also strongly feel that while amazing FOR THE TIME IT WAS OPEN.. if the original version was still open today, it would be EXTREMELY dated and people would be non-stop complaining about it. Really dated..Like Captain Eo dated... That said, the only thing the first one has over the other two was its amazing post show.

Either 2.0 or 3.0 would be fantasic if, when you were done with your 5 minute ride, you actually had something fun and engaging to do in the post show area.

And how could they NOT incorporate "imagineers" into the ride/theme. Figment halps you become an "honorary imagineer" or something... They have this trademarked job title... Seems like a relatively easy concept to me

Last edited:

aladdin2007

I think while still weak, the 3 one has the slight edge over the second. I also strongly feel that while amazing FOR THE TIME IT WAS OPEN.. if the original version was still open today, it would be EXTREMELY dated and people would be non-stop complaining about it. Really dated..Like Captain Eo dated... That said, the only thing the first one has over the other two was its amazing post show.

Either 2.0 or 3.0 would be fantasic if, when you were done with your 5 minute ride, you actually had something fun and engaging to do in the post show area.

And how could they NOT incorporate "imagineers" into the ride/theme. Figment halps you become an "honorary imagineer" or something... They have this trademarked job title... Seems like a relatively easy concept to me

True the original would have been somewhat outdated today, but they could and should have kept it as it was and just gave it an overall refurb, changed it up a bit, and changed out some things, instead of the complete gutting it got that it did not deserve.

Figaro928

True the original would have been somewhat outdated today, but they could and should have kept it as it was and just gave it an overall refurb, changed it up a bit, and changed out some things, instead of the complete gutting it got that it did not deserve.
ANd I agree with you there - an update of the original concept would have sufficed.

A big point is that people put these retired rides on pedestals like they were the be-all end all greatest rides ever (i do it too, especially with Figment). And we can remember them that way all we like. But, if JITO, Mr Toad's WIld Ride, 20,000 Leagues, even Horizon were opened today, they would easily be considered jokes by many guests.... Maybe not everyone in this forum.. but many many guests. Watching the original ride's video now, I moreorless could understand why it was closed. Again, not that version 3.0 is much better, but if a first time guest in today's market stumbled into version 1.0, what would they think?

Goofyernmost

ANd I agree with you there - an update of the original concept would have sufficed.

A big point is that people put these retired rides on pedestals like they were the be-all end all greatest rides ever (i do it too, especially with Figment). And we can remember them that way all we like. But, if JITO, Mr Toad's WIld Ride, 20,000 Leagues, even Horizon were opened today, they would easily be considered jokes by many guests.... Maybe not everyone in this forum.. but many many guests. Watching the original ride's video now, I moreorless could understand why it was closed. Again, not that version 3.0 is much better, but if a first time guest in today's market stumbled into version 1.0, what would they think?
I think it would be like the rest of us... they would be amazed by the Dreamfinder/Figment opening turntable scene. I know I was and that carried over to the rest of the ride even though by itself the rest was pretty blah! It got to the point that I was only riding it for the beginning, but they tended to frown on getting out of the ride vehicle as soon as that was done, so I had to remain for the rest.

Haymarket2008

I disagree with the idea that Journey Into Imagination would have been dated. I absolutely understand why someone would say that, but you could say the same for almost half of the rides in WDW. Small World, Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion. Dated, but can easily stand the test of time with the help of refreshing additions and a respect for the initial intent of the ride. Side rant to justify my reasoning: Horizons was a fantastic ride but really was quite dated and its purpose was obsolete after a certain amount of time. Again, maybe a fantastic redesign would have helped them. But Journey Into Imagination was designed to be pretty timeless. And the steampunk influences in the ride are even more relevant today! I think that it is a mighty shame what they did to this ride and only hope that it can return to its former glory.

Haymarket2008

Didn't read your post. All what you said, too!

Haymarket2008

And I do think that a ride as expansive as JII was would still be impressing crowds today. Not to mention all of the AA's. Spaceship Earth can be a big snooze to someone who doesn't care about the mission of Epcot like we all do. But it remains a dazzling, 80's retro masterpiece. This discussion is a good one. It brings up very good points. Especially with the large changes Epcot will no doubt be experiencing soon.

Spike-in-Berlin

Well, I do have to state this first. Obviously, the second version of the Imagination Pavilion, Journey into Your Imagination, was a pathetic shadow of the original attraction. The initial shock of going from the original, highly imaginative, creative, longer, whimsical ride to the simplistic, scaled back, Figment-less version made people claim it was the worst ride ever made.

But was it really worse than the current version? I say, no, it wasn't, it was better. The current version was nothing but a rush job response to all the complaints of removing Dreamfinder and Figment from the ride. However, the Figment in this version is not fun and endearing, he's just kind of annoying.

The previous ride was at least somewhat inspired and didn't come across as kid-centric.

My theory is that if the original version had never existed, people would prefer the previous version to the current version.

Discuss!

Perhaps it's a matter of culture, perhaps it's because I am not American, but I HATE Figment, always hated him and will always do. But I know the American mentality, I know what kind of characters they like, so I understand also the hype around Figment and his return to JII. I find him extremely annoying and terribly unfunny personally and I don't know what the second JII incarnation was like, but I cannot imagine that it was worse than the present one because Figment wasn't there.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Perhaps it's a matter of culture, perhaps it's because I am not American, but I HATE Figment, always hated him and will always do. But I know the American mentality, I know what kind of characters they like, so I understand also the hype around Figment and his return to JII. I find him extremely annoying and terribly unfunny personally and I don't know what the second JII incarnation was like, but I cannot imagine that it was worse than the present one because Figment wasn't there.
Even the original JII Figment?

morningstar

I'm going with my original idea for the upper level in stating that there should have been a restaurant in the upper level with the pyramid area being the lobby of the restaurant. That'd be beautiful. And dream finder and figment could walk around greeting guests at tables.

I like the idea of a restaurant. They could serve imaginative food. And why not have the whole restaurant ceiling be the glass pyramid?

BoarderPhreak

The original was the best, period. The current pavilion is disgraceful. Okay, so they brought back Figment... Doesn't matter when over half the pavilion sits empty and what's left is a snoozefest.

worldfanatic

The original was a walk-on when it closed. As was Horizons.

The mists of time have made them "classics". But that was hardly the case back in their so called "glory days".

The Imagination Pavilion needs to be gutted & re-imagined completely.

Animaniac93-98

Perhaps if 1.0 never was, people would like 2.0 just because it was the original ride.

If version 1 never existed, than version 3 wouldn't either. The current version exists because of the popularity of the Figment character, and the effort to have him still be part of the ride.

Had version 2 been built first, it might have been a somewhat different attraction.

Goofyernmost

If version 1 never existed, than version 3 wouldn't either. The current version exists because of the popularity of the Figment character, and the effort to have him still be part of the ride.

Had version 2 been built first, it might have been a somewhat different attraction.
Funny, I thought it had more to do with Eisner having a hissy fit about it. But, I do see what you mean at least in terms of any Figment existence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom