Was "Journey Into *Your* Imagination" really worse than the current version?

mergatroid

Well... actually you know what, after watching them back to back, cancel this thread. I guess the 3rd/current version is still slightly better. I like the concept of the 2nd version, but the execution is so dull. However I like the third version for having better flow, show scenes, and theme music, not for the inclusion of Figment.

I've got to say this thread has made me laugh. You come on all adamant that version 2 was superior to version 3 and then get annoyed at the first response. Then I post the videos of the two different versions and you change your mind :D

To be honest it's a good thread though as it's nice to discuss old rides and reminisce. And here's the original version of the attraction

Goofyernmost

The original version was the best but the current one isn't too bad. It is better to have a version with figment than not.
Yes, but the original question was, using your imagination, imagine that the first one never existed, there was no figment before the current one. Is the need for Figment a carry over from the original (which hypothetically doesn't exist) or does he carry it himself without the nostalgia factor. I think he doesn't, but, the current one was more entertaining and fun then the proceeding one.

epcotisbest

Yes, but the original question was, using your imagination, imagine that the first one never existed, there was no figment before the current one. Is the need for Figment a carry over from the original (which hypothetically doesn't exist) or does he carry it himself without the nostalgia factor. I think he doesn't, but, the current one was more entertaining and fun then the proceeding one.
If the first one never existed, then there would be no reason for this thread, so in theory, the first version has to exist in order for it to be nonexistent. My brain hurts.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I get it now, sorry I'm a little foggy I'm on some pain killers. But anyway...Figment for me isn't a carry over for nostalgia. I think he is a cute fun character that helps tell the story. Even if I had never seen the original I would have fallen in love with figment as he is in the current version. I hope that makes sense now. :)

mergatroid

I get it now, sorry I'm a little foggy I'm on some pain killers. But anyway...Figment for me isn't a carry over for nostalgia. I think he is a cute fun character that helps tell the story. Even if I had never seen the original I would have fallen in love with figment as he is in the current version. I hope that makes sense now. :)

Yes, my wife has only ever seen the current version but really loves Figment. It's nothing to do with previous versions but just likes him for what he is.

bethymouse

I like the song. The kids love it! Figment needs some love.:D The newer version is educational for kids teaching them about the 5 senses. Does anyone have a video of the original ride and Dreamfinder?

aladdin2007

just a few thoughts: v2 was horrific. Sending people into a pitch black room with just the sound of a train? I hated it and what a horrid use of space. They still do it today but at least they themed the room, along with figment.
plus the ride was filled with scrap metal and junk everywhere and no cohesiveness or show scenes worth discussing. It was a travesty. Heads rolled for that redo, and of course it went down in Disney history for being known as the one where Eisner blew his top.
Granted v3 is nothing to brag about either but it sure beats v2 and with the budget they were given they did okay. Its somewhat irritating though that in the final scene where all the figments are they basically put as many in there as they could (stationary at that) and in a way it feels like they are saying fine you want figment back? Here now dont complain again..that somewhat has always bothered me... As for v4, probably not going to happen in any of our lifetimes at this rate.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I thought the original (based on a youtube video) was obviously very well done and an instant classic that faded away.

I thought they MIGHT have been headed in the right direction with an imagination institute theme for the pavilion.

Honey, I Shrunk the Audience was honestly a very VERY well done show for the pavilion's theme. At least, for it's time. It wouldn't have hurt to maybe update it with a new professor or something after about mid-way through it's run.

The (V2) without figment, no. No no no. Horrible. You canNOT walk into Epcot without thinking Figment is in the imagination pavilion. He HAS to be there.

V3, I consider it to be.... Eh. I think the problem I have with the whole thing is that it's all screens. Screens, screens and screens. I mean, yea there's an upside-down motionless house, a black room with neon signs, a black room with footprint lights, a black sound room with one AA and a narrator in the background, a small room with figment cardboard cutouts, and a black room with a screen of the professor with the face of the moon.

The main ride of the pavilion was poorly done. I personally think the theming would have worked great with Epcot. See... What if instead of "Dr. Nigel Channing" and a bunch of screens, we had the character from The TimeKeeper. OR, maybe Dr. Nigel Channing should have been a AA robot professor similar to TimeKeeper. No screens. The study of the senses are a fine theming to the ride. Heck, if you kinda think about it, Dreamfinder looks like a professor. Maybe Dreamfinder could have been brought into the imagination institute theme in the image works area.

I like the imagination institute idea. I just don't like the way they handled the main part of the pavilion. The attraction did NOT need to be shortened, or filled with cheap TV screens. They should have taken it seriously rather than make something "new" as fast as they could.

Also, Imageworks... Why? Why would they need to close the top portion of the pavilion? It wouldn't even have to technically be the imageoworks! It could stay downstairs!

I'm going with my original idea for the upper level in stating that there should have been a restaurant in the upper level with the pyramid area being the lobby of the restaurant. That'd be beautiful. And dream finder and figment could walk around greeting guests at tables.

As I said. I like the imagination institute. While I also liked the original attraction as well. I just think they had a pretty good idea for Epcot, and just rushed through what could have been a greatly re-designed theming of the pavilion.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I've got to say this thread has made me laugh. You come on all adamant that version 2 was superior to version 3 and then get annoyed at the first response. Then I post the videos of the two different versions and you change your mind :D

I actually hadn't watched a video of the original in a long time. I guess in my head I remember it being flashier and better than it was. I still maintain that I think they had a good concept, it was just way too bare bones and dull.

mergatroid

I actually hadn't watched a video of the original in a long time. I guess in my head I remember it being flashier and better than it was. I still maintain that I think they had a good concept, it was just way too bare bones and dull.

Yes, would agree with that. The strange thing is that when I watch the video of the original Journey, it looks pretty confusing concept wise and rather different to how I actually remember it. Maybe when things are no longer there we remember them differently and more fondly?

natatomic

I never visited Epcot until 2007 so I only know the current version. But I always hear such amazing things about the original. Could someone tell me what made it so awesome and why Disney thought changing and shortening it was a good idea?

WDWResort

The current version makes me cringe so much. It's one of those rides I can't wait to get off of. I love Figment but I can't with this one.

Last edited:

FettFan

No, just annoyed that the first response was typical and knee-jerk as if to shut down any discussion immediately.

"A ride where Figment farts on you is still better because Figment!"

I can't remember if it was Tony Baxter or Marty Sklar or Ron Schneider (though I'm pretty sure it was Schneider) who said it, but there was a quote I once read regarding "Journey" and Walt Disney's Three Little Pigs.

How TLP was a such success and Walt was egged on towards making another one. And Walt said "We've already done it, let's try something new."

As much as I love 80s Figment, perhaps it would be better to let him go.

FettFan

However....the second incarnation of Imagination literally insulted the audience to their faces by claiming their brains and imaginations had atrophied to the point of cobwebs.

So I'll pinch my nose and vote for ADHD fart joke Figment.

mergatroid

I never visited Epcot until 2007 so I only know the current version. But I always hear such amazing things about the original. Could someone tell me what made it so awesome and why Disney thought changing and shortening it was a good idea?

I believe I remember reading there were issues with a particular scene where a complicated mechanical turntable was used (it's the Dreamfinder and Figment flying machine scene I think?). It had issues, was very expensive to maintain, or both from what I remember. Anyhow they altered the attraction and due to budgeting reasons it was shortened. Martin will give a far better and more detailed answer though I'm sure.

FettFan

I believe I remember reading there were issues with a particular scene where a complicated mechanical turntable was used (it's the Dreamfinder and Figment flying machine scene I think?). It had issues, was very expensive to maintain, or both from what I remember. Anyhow they altered the attraction and due to budgeting reasons it was shortened. Martin will give a far better and more detailed answer though I'm sure.

I've also heard there were compliance problems with the updated Americans With Disabilities Act that would have necessitated new lifts to the second floor Imageworks.

mergatroid

I've also heard there were compliance problems with the updated Americans With Disabilities Act that would have necessitated new lifts to the second floor Imageworks.

That could well explain the second floor being no longer used my friend, if not the ride itself changing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom