Was "Journey Into *Your* Imagination" really worse than the current version?

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Well, I do have to state this first. Obviously, the second version of the Imagination Pavilion, Journey into Your Imagination, was a pathetic shadow of the original attraction. The initial shock of going from the original, highly imaginative, creative, longer, whimsical ride to the simplistic, scaled back, Figment-less version made people claim it was the worst ride ever made.

But was it really worse than the current version? I say, no, it wasn't, it was better (edit: actually I have changed my opinion since posting this, and I don't think its better, but not really that much worse, maybe about the same).

The current version was a rushed response to all the complaints of removing Dreamfinder and Figment from the ride. However, the Figment in this version is not fun and endearing, he's just kind of annoying.

The previous ride was at least somewhat inspired and didn't come across as kid-centric.

My theory is that if the original version had never existed, people would prefer the previous version to the current version.

Discuss!

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
yes. No figment. 'nuff said.

Edit: nothing will top the original version however.

Re-Edit - I'm supposed to read the WHOLE post before I post a reply?? Darnit!!

I still say Version 3.0 is better than version 2.0. V2 is kinda creepy, actually. V2 is too "educational" like I used to think EPCOT was when I was a kid. Figment at least adds something "for the kids" that V2 didn't have.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Oh good, I see you completely read my entire post, oh wait no you didn't and posted a knee-jerk response.

If the original version had not existed, and thus people didn't have nostalgia for Figment, would they still prefer the current version with it's kind-of-obnoxious Figment and "children's television show" tone to the previous version?

Edit: thanks for clarifying!

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
No, just annoyed that the first response was typical and knee-jerk as if to shut down any discussion immediately.

"A ride where Figment farts on you is still better because Figment!"

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

There is a good chance that many of us have never seen the "second" version of Imagination, so I cannot have a discussion about it. The only real discussion for me is based on the original and the current. Based on that, the original has the edge but, it was the jaw dropping turn table with Dreamfinder and Figment that was solely responsible for it's fond memories. And I agree that without the original reference there would be a better opinion of #3, but that isn't all that popular anyway.

A lot of words to say that without seeing #2 a discussion cannot exist. The only people that can answer that question would be people that never saw #1 and did see #2. I presume that is your target audience.

If I pretend that I never saw #1, and that I saw #2 in person and not just on YouTube, then compare #2 to #3...

I still think #3 would have the edge over #2. The second version really does seem to have been rather dull based on the video of it and I would expect that, if it were the only version I'd experienced, the greater role of Figment in #3 would have been a fun addition. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume there would be many aghast at the changes though. It's an interesting question to ponder.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
A lot of words to say that without seeing #2 a discussion cannot exist. The only people that can answer that question would be people that never saw #1 and did see #2. I presume that is your target audience.
That's true. Correct, that would be the target, but you're right, very few people actually experienced #2 in person.

epcotisbest

Well, I do have to state this first. Obviously, the second version of the Imagination Pavilion, Journey into Your Imagination, was a pathetic shadow of the original attraction. The initial shock of going from the original, highly imaginative, creative, longer, whimsical ride to the simplistic, scaled back, Figment-less version made people claim it was the worst ride ever made.

But was it really worse than the current version? I say, no, it wasn't, it was better. The current version was nothing but a rush job response to all the complaints of removing Dreamfinder and Figment from the ride. However, the Figment in this version is not fun and endearing, he's just kind of annoying.

The previous ride was at least somewhat inspired and didn't come across as kid-centric.

My theory is that if the original version had never existed, people would prefer the previous version to the current version.

Discuss!
I think maybe your rose colored glasses are a bit out of focus. Journey Into YOUR Imagination was just plain bad. The problem, to me, is there was so much room for it to become a grand experience, but it just was not. Even if there had never been Dreamfinder, Figment and the original Journey, two was underwhelming at best. One Little Spark? That version needed much more than a spark. Three admittedly leaves much to be desired, but two just had no spark.
If there had never been the original, with nothing to compare it to, would you have thought two, now in your scenario the original Imagination, as anything special? Or would you have ridden it and thought "Wow they really did a great job exploring Imagination...I rate this right up there with Horizons!
And that is my knee-jerk reaction.

epcotisbest

That's true. Correct, that would be the target, but you're right, very few people actually experienced #2 in person.
I saw one many times...two a couple, now the current one we still do every time. I think bringing back EO is a prime example of the lack of imagination in that whole area. Remember how fun it was to see the leapfrog fountains for the first few times? That could be improved on too.

mergatroid

No, just annoyed that I'm trying to promote a discussion here and the first reply was a typical knee-jerk response as an attempt to shut down any thoughtful debate of the topic.

"A ride where Figment farts on you is still better because Figment!"

Ok let's discuss it. To help those who never experienced it without Figment, here's the ride

And with Figment

Personally I prefer the second version with Figment. Yes it's more 'childish' but I do find it more entertaining too, however it's all subjective.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I think maybe your rose colored glasses are a bit out of focus. Journey Into YOUR Imagination was just plain bad. The problem, to me, is there was so much room for it to become a grand experience, but it just was not. Even if there had never been Dreamfinder, Figment and the original Journey, two was underwhelming at best. One Little Spark? That version needed much more than a spark. Three admittedly leaves much to be desired, but two just had no spark.
If there had never been the original, with nothing to compare it to, would you have thought two, now in your scenario the original Imagination, as anything special? Or would you have ridden it and thought "Wow they really did a great job exploring Imagination...I rate this right up there with Horizons!
And that is my knee-jerk reaction.
Well, I'm not saying I thought #2 was great or anything. My opinion is that it isn't really any worse than the current iteration and it did have some advantages, like not having a kid-centric tone. I know the original-original was also very much childlike, but it was more of an all-ages whimsical kind of fun and less of something that literally feels like a children's learning TV program.

epcotisbest

So I'm thinking, Is a farting Figment better than no Figment? Then my warped mind thinks, Is a farting Kate Upton better than no Kate Upton? The first is questionable...the second obvious.

epcotisbest

Well, I'm not saying I thought #2 was great or anything. My opinion is that it isn't really any worse than the current iteration and it did have some advantages, like not having a kid-centric tone. I know the original-original was also very much childlike, but it was more of an all-ages whimsical kind of fun and less of something that literally feels like a children's learning TV program.
And your point was people think it was worse because they compared it to one vs. three and if one was out of the picture then the comparison between two and three might be a different story altogether. Sadly, the truth is the whole pavilion could end up like Wonders of Life and that would be terribly sad.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Oh good, I see you completely read my entire post, oh wait no you didn't and posted a knee-jerk response.

If the original version had not existed, and thus people didn't have nostalgia for Figment, would they still prefer the current version with it's kind-of-obnoxious Figment and "children's television show" tone to the previous version?

Edited my post :p:p:p:p:p

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Ok let's discuss it. To help those who never experienced it without Figment, here's the ride

And with Figment

Personally I prefer the second version with Figment. Yes it's more 'childish' but I do find it more entertaining too, however it's all subjective.

Well... actually you know what, after watching them back to back, cancel this thread. I guess the 3rd/current version is still slightly better. I like the concept of the 2nd version, but the execution is so dull. However I like the third version for having better flow, show scenes, and theme music, not for the inclusion of Figment.

epcotisbest

Well... actually you know what, after watching them back to back, cancel this thread. I guess the 3rd/current version is still slightly better. I like the concept of the 2nd version, but the execution is so dull. However I like the third version for having better flow, show scenes, and theme music, not for the inclusion of Figment.

Talk about a knee-jerk reaction. Discuss!

Goofyernmost

Now that I have seen the video, I have to say that #2 sucked and #3 sucked less. There are many light spots in #3 and if people could get over the childish reaction to the skunk smell (which btw, is nothing like a skunk smell) I think #3 would be the winner, hands down. I have to ask myself... what were they thinking when putting together #2? Epcot worked because it combined education with entertainment... edutainment. There was nothing even vaguely entertaining about #2. Putting #1 back on the table just for comparison concerning Figment. Figment was much more enjoyable in his original personality. He is kind of a pain in the butt in the current one and would have been even without the comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom