Walt's office gone from DHS

Are you excited to see One Man's Dream close for Toy Story Land?

• Yes

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 116 77.9%

• Total voters

TheDisneyMagic

How many people remember that the film used to be introduced by Michael Eisner before giving to Julie Andrews' narration?
The footage was actually changed as well when they switched narrators, in the original version Michael Eisner was seen in person at the Studio. When Julie Andrews took over it become a voice over only.

Imagineerwannabe

EPCOT was not a new idea. It was over 60 years old by the time its organizational pattern found its way to Walt via Victor Gruen.

white city worlds fair in chicago was a genesis for epcot also

Have to agree with lazyboy, you don't have to look too hard at Gruen's book "the heart of our cities.." To see that this was a big influence on Walts dream of progress city...

prberk

I loved OMD and loathe the idea of a Honey I Shrunk The Kids to IP Toonland.

OMD, and the Walt Disney Story before that, lend depth, history and authenticity to WDW. It distinguishes WDW from 'random collection of IP's' parks, such as UNI.

I will miss it, together with Animation.

Cannot agree more that Walt's story needs to be forever told at Walt Disney World.

Individual items might come and go, but "The Walt Disney Story," in its original place in Town Square at Main Street, USA, should be restored as a permanent house for it, including the film that had Walt telling his own story as the back part to the attraction.

The "One Man's Dream" name actually goes back to an attraction at DL that also featured Walt memorabilia. So, that name has history, and the concept has history -- as the current DL has Walt memorabilia in the Opera House for you to see before watching "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln." And that is appropriate.

I guess I just feel that both "Magic Kingdoms" (DL and the actual MK in Florida) should always have a form of The Walt Disney Story presented every day, as long as they remain in business. It puts the parks (and in Florida the whole concept) into perspective. That attraction in the '70s set the stage for my understanding of Walt and what his parks meant or aspired to be. And that knowledge helped set WDW and Walt Disney himself apart in my mind.

It makes a difference 40 years later.

I appreciate what the Walt Disney Family Museum is doing also, but it is so far removed from the parks that I feel like without reproducing some of the Walt Disney Story in the parks (especially his precious DL and the resort named after him in Florida), we would miss the chance to tell the story to people who would never see it in San Francisco only. People coming to Disneyland or to Walt Disney World are the best audience for telling at least most of his story, even with a more specialized version at the family museum in another city.

And a small but significant part of me suspects that at least in some ways the existence of the Walt Disney Family Museum takes the Walt Disney Company off the hook in some people's minds for the responsibility of telling his story in those parks. An unintended consequence, perhaps.

Either way, I say, restore The Walt Disney Story to the MK. It is criminal not to have his story told somewhere in "Walt Disney World".

mm52200

Cannot agree more that Walt's story needs to be forever told at Walt Disney World.

Individual items might come and go, but "The Walt Disney Story," in its original place in Town Square at Main Street, USA, should be restored as a permanent house for it, including the film that had Walt telling his own story as the back part to the attraction.

The "One Man's Dream" name actually goes back to an attraction at DL that also featured Walt memorabilia. So, that name has history, and the concept has history -- as the current DL has Walt memorabilia in the Opera House for you to see before watching "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln." And that is appropriate.

I guess I just feel that both "Magic Kingdoms" (DL and the actual MK in Florida) should always have a form of The Walt Disney Story presented every day, as long as they remain in business. It puts the parks (and in Florida the whole concept) into perspective. That attraction in the '70s set the stage for my understanding of Walt and what his parks meant or aspired to be. And that knowledge helped set WDW and Walt Disney himself apart in my mind.

I appreciate what the Walt Disney Family Museum is doing also, but it is so far removed from the parks that I feel like without reproducing some of the Walt Disney Story in the parks (especially his precious DL and the resort named after him in Florida), we would miss the chance to tell the story to people who would never see it in San Francisco only. People coming to Disneyland or to Walt Disney World are the best audience for telling at least most of his story, even with a more specialized version at the family museum in another city.

And a small but significant part of me suspects that at least in some ways the existence of the Walt Disney Family Museum takes the Walt Disney Company off the hook in some people's minds for the responsibility of telling his story in those parks. An unintended consequence, perhaps.

Either way, I say, restore The Walt Disney Story to the MK. It is criminal not to have his story told somewhere in "Walt Disney World".
I agree with this so much. The family museum does make it easy for the company to ignore Walt and for guests and people on here to justify them removing things like One Man's Dream just because there's a museum in San Francisco. I'm a huge Disney fan obviously but I know living on the East Coast that chances of making it to the family museum are slim. Even if I get the chance to visit DL, San Francisco is not even close to Anaheim. As a kid I became introduced to Walt and his story because of this exhibit and the 100 Years of Magic celebration. I'm not sure when the tides changed, from having Walt featured and celebrated quite heavily, to him mainly being brushed to the side these days....

The Empress Lilly

Beautifully argued, all of it. So much of what I've been meaning to write, but didn't get around to or could put into proper argument. From the importance of the WDStory for my own appreciation of exactly what it was I was visiting, to the role of the WDMuseum.

EOD K9

You people keep referring to One Man's Dream and this Walt person. We all know that it was started by a mouse. Someone please tell me about the Walt dude. I heard some rumor that he mentioned the idea of a great theme park and that he gets credit for it. Details please.

doctornick

Question: why would they be removing OMD in the near term if (according to some) Toy Story Land isn't going to start being built for some time due to the need to relocate the costuming building? Seems to me that demolishing Sparrow/OMD(/Little Mermaid?) to make an entrance to the land could be one of the last steps so why not keep the attraction open for some time? The park needs to capacity and OMD has got to be pretty cheap to operate.

Or is Toy Story Land opening sooner rather than later?

lazyboy97o

Question: why would they be removing OMD in the near term if (according to some) Toy Story Land isn't going to start being built for some time due to the need to relocate the costuming building? Seems to me that demolishing Sparrow/OMD(/Little Mermaid?) to make an entrance to the land could be one of the last steps so why not keep the attraction open for some time? The park needs to capacity and OMD has got to be pretty cheap to operate.

One Man's Dream being next to stuff that will stay will require a more careful demolition. Returning of artifacts will also involve proper, delicate preparations for shipping.

DisneyOutsider

The poll question for this thread is a joke... talk about loaded.

Of course nobody is "excited" to see One Man's Dream go, but by the time the DHS re-do is complete, you will be wondering why the heck they had it there in the first place (it certainly belongs.. just certainly not in DHS).

Would you be "excited" if they announced that they are squashing the addition of an entirely new Toy Story-themed land only because One Man's Dream is too sacred a monument?

Agree with the sentiment shared by most of the posts in this thread... just hate the way the thread was framed.

216bruce

Something should be on Main Street in the Town Square Theater like it was in WDW and, sort of, still is in DL. The company should take the time to have a fun, educational, state-of-the-art celebration of Walt available there. Great and appropriate location. But, most importantly, make it something very new and different in how it's presented.
There's already plenty of M&G's around- lose one of them for Walt.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Probably the same reason they removed the Backlot Tour.

Communicore

Personally I feel that One Man's Dream was an amazing addition to DHS and I am sad to see it go. I think the Mouse should have considered making a larger exhibit and either placed it in one of the parks or better yet had it somewhere in Disney Springs and charged the public a small entry fee.
A "nominal" fee!! Yes, they sure would love to charge that!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Personally I feel that One Man's Dream was an amazing addition to DHS and I am sad to see it go. I think the Mouse should have considered making a larger exhibit and either placed it in one of the parks or better yet had it somewhere in Disney Springs and charged the public a small entry fee.

Actually, I think they should make a OMD style omnimover attraction and put it in Disney Springs...make it FREE of charge, in a similar way that Hersheypark has their free Chocolate World omnimover attraction.

The benefit to Disney is it will draw more people from a larger demographic (IMO) to Disney Springs and maybe spend money while they are there.

NiarrNDisney

Actually, I think they should make a OMD style omnimover attraction and put it in Disney Springs...make it FREE of charge, in a similar way that Hersheypark has their free Chocolate World omnimover attraction.

The benefit to Disney is it will draw more people from a larger demographic (IMO) to Disney Springs and maybe spend money while they are there.

OMG I loved that ride when I was a kid! I remember wanting to ride it over and over again when we would visit and the free candy bar when you exited the ride was an added bonus!

As for an OMD attraction in Disney Springs I totally agree! It would certainly bring guest who wouldn't normally be interested in heading down there as well as give people who are not into shopping or the other activities something to do.

EOD K9

Whoa whoa whoa...there. Free and Disney in the same sentence doesn't sound right. That's borderline blasphemy.
I do agree with your above statement though.

EOD K9

. Returning of artifacts will also involve proper, delicate preparations for shipping.

Why? Can't they just have some of the CMs who work in WoD swing by and use their brown and white paper to wrap up all the artifacts? Think of how much money they'd save.

msteel

OMG I loved that ride when I was a kid! I remember wanting to ride it over and over again when we would visit and the free candy bar when you exited the ride was an added bonus!

I rode the Chocolate World omnimover a couple of times this summer. I was appalled at the poor show and broken effects. I noticed that the missing Hershey kiss had been replaced since last year but several of the Kit Kat conveyor belts were not running at all. One of the milling rollers had obvious wear lines. I'm sure Milt is rolling over in his grave...
:p

NiarrNDisney

I rode the Chocolate World omnimover a couple of times this summer. I was appalled at the poor show and broken effects. I noticed that the missing Hershey kiss had been replaced since last year but several of the Kit Kat conveyor belts were not running at all. One of the milling rollers had obvious wear lines. I'm sure Milt is rolling over in his grave...
:p

Well I have to admit this was many many years ago so I am not certain how this attraction looks now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom