Walt Disney World Resort To Reopen After Second Closing in 30 Years

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Walt Disney World Resort To Reopen
After Second Closing in 30 Years

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Sept. 11, 2001) -- Walt Disney World Resort in Florida will resume operations of all theme parks, water parks, and shopping, entertainment and recreation areas Wednesday morning, officials announced late Tuesday.

Additionally, Disney Cruise Line officials announced that sailings will continue as scheduled.

The four theme parks of Walt Disney World were closed -- for only the second time in the resort's nearly 30-year history -- on Tuesday in response to the events in New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania. Resort hotels remained open to accommodate guests.

(The theme parks were closed for the first time in September 1999 as Hurricane Floyd approached the Florida coast.)

Disney officials decided to re-open the theme parks following communication with law enforcement and state and local government officials. Disney officials stressed that the safety and welfare of guests and cast members remained a priority and security would remain heightened throughout the property.

"We are deeply saddened by this senseless act and the sorrow it is bringing to families in our nation, our community and our company," said Al Weiss, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

Guests seeking information about an upcoming Walt Disney World visit may call 407/W-DISNEY (407/934-7639).

FutureCEO

i think they should still be close because if the arabics do come again then it will be something other than plane and nowhere near New York and Washington. and an American icon

mightyduck

Originally posted by wdw24557
i think they should still be close because if the arabics do come again then it will be something other than plane and nowhere near New York and Washington. and an American icon

I disagree. If we live in fear, we have let the terrorists win, let them take over our hearts and minds. Mayor Guiliani urged New Yorkers today to return to life as usual as much as possible.

My parents were supposed to spend today in the Magic Kingdom. They said they needed a little escapist fantasy today. Wish I was there, too.

Sean23

I just got back from Epcot and MK the parks were not that crowded. The entrance of Epcot there were tables with black sheets you had to put your bags on for security to check.

mightyduck

Originally posted by Sean23
I just got back from Epcot and MK the parks were not that crowded. The entrance of Epcot there were tables with black sheets you had to put your bags on for security to check.

The Six Flags here in New Jersey has strict security because there are knife fights and violence regularly. It's always made me feel good that Disney didn't require it--like the real world just didn't apply. :( I hate feeling unsafe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom