Walt Disney World Resort agrees multi-year sponsorship deal with new MLS team Orlando City Soccer

NMBC1993

Great...give the Brazilians just another reason to flood the area.

...my thoughts exactly.

400008603652.jpg

Last edited:

Nubs70

Why can't they get in with the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL? I know it's hockey and ABC doesn't get along with NBC on that, but ESPN and ABC will have the Hockey World Championships...
Hockey World Championships .... Hasn't that already been done? ? It's called the Canada Cup.

NMBC1993

Why can't they get in with the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL? I know it's hockey and ABC doesn't get along with NBC on that, but ESPN and ABC will have the Hockey World Championships...

Gotta love the Solar Bears! I attended many games during the original years, then everything changed to the Seals. Still showed them the local hockey team love but haven't been to a game since 2004. How did this re-branding come about? Did the league change?

I'd be all over Disney picking up a hockey league. If Wandering Oakens was still around, they could have put a rink in there. Theme it to Frozen somehow and play themselves some hockey.

Grumpy1973

Am I the only one who's bothered by it being called "Orlando City"....why not just "Orlando"?
I have never quite understood the names of MLS teams anyway and actually know VERY LITTLE ABOUT soccer, why not Orlando Lions since they use a lion as a mascot anyway? Publix inked a deal to be a founding sponsor as well, second largest company to do so behind WDW

jdmdisney99

Am I the only one who's bothered by it being called "Orlando City"....why not just "Orlando"?
I have never quite understood the names of MLS teams anyway and actually know VERY LITTLE ABOUT soccer, why not Orlando Lions since they use a lion as a mascot anyway? Publix inked a deal to be a founding sponsor as well, second largest company to do so behind WDW
I think its about creating culture and a sense of tradition. They added the "City" just to recall thoughts of "Manchester City". They avoided "Lions" to keep with traditional football club titles. Look in any other league in the world, and you'll find very few if any clubs that are actually named for a mascot.

WDW Monorail

I think its about creating culture and a sense of tradition. They added the "City" just to recall thoughts of "Manchester City". They avoided "Lions" to keep with traditional football club titles. Look in any other league in the world, and you'll find very few if any clubs that are actually named for a mascot.

Huge, huge mistake branding our league with European traditions. The league started as a unique American sport. Although not taken seriously by FIFA, it was very popular among Americans. A major complaint of the sport is that so many games end with no winner. In the early days of the league, games ending in a tie would resort to a hockey style, 1 v 1 shoutout which was extremely exciting and something totally unique to the MLS. Also, games were exactly 90 minutes and time was known by all by the use of a clock keeping official time counting down from 45 each half.

Now its getting popular among the hipsters and wanna be eurotrash because it looks "European". It's so sad. I'll stick to watching entertaining sports like hockey and NASCAR.

mousehockey37

Huge, huge mistake branding our league with European traditions. The league started as a unique American sport. Although not taken seriously by FIFA, it was very popular among Americans. A major complaint of the sport is that so many games end with no winner. In the early days of the league, games ending in a tie would resort to a hockey style, 1 v 1 shoutout which was extremely exciting and something totally unique to the MLS. Also, games were exactly 90 minutes and time was known by all by the use of a clock keeping official time counting down from 45 each half.

Now its getting popular among the hipsters and wanna be eurotrash because it looks "European". It's so sad. I'll stick to watching entertaining sports like hockey and NASCAR.

Well, the shootout has ruined the NHL. There are too many good games that get ruined by the novelty act. I hope that the NHL adopts the AHL's trial of the 4v4 for 3 minutes, then 3v3 for 3 minutes then shootout if there is no winner for an overtime.

Napcrap is exactly that. The stands are nowhere as full as what they were 15-20 years ago. Back then, the cars used to be somewhat different but had rules. Today, the cars are identical and it's just waiting for the "big one" to happen. I just know that I turn on a race anymore they have entire sections of bleachers covered with the big tarp ads. This wasn't always the case and for the record, I've gone to NASCAR events and been at the local dirt tracks all my life.

As for the soccer end, it may be gaining popularity, but it's not the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL. There's a big push by NBC to get it out there with the Barclay stuff, but I don't get it.

Pertaining to the thread however, Disney has enough out there that they didn't need to do this with the soccer team. Is this a way that they're going to try and entice a certain percentage/demographic to leave the parks and entertain them another way? Will Disney provide transportation to and from the games from the resorts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom