Walt Disney World Railroad refurbishment - September 28-November 8

Unplugged

I was at one opening last year without the train. Basically the same but certainly less emotional without the train. Will be at one of the park openings the first week it's shut down this fall.

...and they don't have a screen they hang from the station that's painted to look like the train sitting up there with a loud MP3 whistle? Oh for shame TDO, even your lazy is getting lazy. :D

Unplugged

I just had an instant flashback to track work in a scene in "Blazing Saddles".

...ah yes, I can here it all now as if it were happening live.
(Scene opens with all us members pounding on RR ties in the WDW August heat &humidity.)
(TDO) Come on Wogwog! Don't want you lolly-gaggin around with those picks and those shovels. You'd think it was a 120 degrees! Can't be more then 114.
(Wogwog collapses into his Dole Whip.)
(TDO) Doc that fanboi a days FastPasses for nappin' on the job.
(TDO) Now come on fanbois, where's yer spirit? I don't here no singing. When you was CMs, you sang like Tiki birds. Come on, how bout a good old fashioned 7 Dwarves work song?
(fanboi's start singing "A spoon full of sugar")
(TDO) Hold, hold it! What the heck is that? I meant a song. A real song! Something like "Hi Ho...."!

dstrawn9889

Thanks for info. If mushrooming is the problem, besides track replacement, wouldn't overnight grinding restore the width needed on mushroomed track?
same problem, thay dont have a rail finishing machine for a narrow gauge track, and doing it by hand would more than likely ruin what profile was already there, a flat on the track could be as hazardous as the mushroom profile there in the first place. Loram doesnt have a grinder/finisher for this gauge.
3571.1249095275.jpg

besides the gauge issue, how would you get a 1/4 mile long piece of equipment onto the WDWRR tracks anyway, i do not think that there are tracks that lead to an outside spur to reach the active tracks...

ABQ

same problem, thay dont have a rail finishing machine for a narrow gauge track, and doing it by hand would more than likely ruin what profile was already there, a flat on the track could be as hazardous as the mushroom profile there in the first place. Loram doesnt have a grinder/finisher for this gauge.
3571.1249095275.jpg

besides the gauge issue, how would you get a 1/4 mile long piece of equipment onto the WDWRR tracks anyway, i do not think that there are tracks that lead to an outside spur to reach the active tracks...
How did they get the Lilly Belle off property? I assume she was as complicated to extract as maintenance equipment is to bring in.

raymusiccity

would assume a lo boy with a high weight capacity... like they did when WDW first opened.
WDW_first-decade_page_21_moving.png

If they can move Pooh's tree, any of the railroad equipment would seem like a pretty easy challenge!

• "Pooh’s Tree had to be moved as part of the Fantasyland expansion. The tree, which weighs 120 tons, and to move it required 3 nights of work involving one of the largest mobile hydraulic cranes in the construction industry to move it. The crane actually had to be taken apart and put back together in order to make it across a bridge!"

Victor Kelly

That is why rails and ties will be replaced, they cannot refinish the rails. The ties are most likely rotted. Being that the rails are in florida heat 24/7/365 of course they will deform, happens here in Md more than people admit.

RSoxNo1

If they can move Pooh's tree, any of the railroad equipment would seem like a pretty easy challenge!

• "Pooh’s Tree had to be moved as part of the Fantasyland expansion. The tree, which weighs 120 tons, and to move it required 3 nights of work involving one of the largest mobile hydraulic cranes in the construction industry to move it. The crane actually had to be taken apart and put back together in order to make it across a bridge!"
120 tons for that tree seems like an incredibly high number.

raymusiccity

We should never be surprised what Disney decides to throw money at. There are stories and some interesting video clips on the Disney Parks website:

"While most of us slept, something quite amazing was happening this month at the Magic Kingdom Theme Park – a massive effort to relocate the 120-ton Winnie the Pooh tree to make way for the upcoming Fantasyland expansion. Florida Imagineers and the Buena Vista Construction Company used one of the largest mobile hydraulic cranes in the construction industry to make it happen over three nights. And today, we’re sharing a behind-the-scenes look at how a year of planning came together to save the landmark tree and how it’ll now be used to connect “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh” to the expansion’s new Fantasyland Forest. It was “Imagineering perfect.”.......

.....and, yes, when you make a tree out of reinforced steel and concrete, it weighs a lot !!:)

wogwog

Reminder, if you are going to MK on Saturday 9/27 it will be the last day of operation until November 9. Rail fans get on board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom