Walt Disney World Railroad closing for a 5 week refurbishment Jan-Feb 2017

Rob562

Could this closure have anything to do with the return of the Lilly Belle and the departure of the Walter E. Disney?

I don't see how they could be linked. Switching out locomotives on the line wouldn't require a single day to close, let alone 5 weeks. (They may run the returning locomotive without passengers for a while so you'd have diminished capacity, but they wouldn't shut the whole railroad down)

This is likely continued track work and rail/tie/ballast replacement.

Or maybe it's so they can safely build a new tunnel under the tracks for the queue of the secret new Adventureland E-ticket attraction opening next year... ;-)

-Rob

Cmdr_Crimson

Still wish with the railroad refurb they could friggin theme the Overpass to a rock-like looking feature to Enter New Fantasyland..
Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-08-25%2Bat%2B10.55.53%2BPM.png

Bocabear

Still wish with the railroad refurb they could friggin theme the Overpass to a rock-like looking feature to Enter New Fantasyland..
Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-08-25%2Bat%2B10.55.53%2BPM.png
Honestly the lack of theme and storytelling on the railroad circuit is just ridiculous. Yes it would cost something, but the gains are totally worth it and would make a far better attraction at WDW... We don't have the Primeval World dioramas, or even as many show elements as Disneyland has...they could at least dress the visual intrusions around the circuit...

Speedy71

Honestly the lack of theme and storytelling on the railroad circuit is just ridiculous. Yes it would cost something, but the gains are totally worth it and would make a far better attraction at WDW... We don't have the Primeval World dioramas, or even as many show elements as Disneyland has...they could at least dress the visual intrusions around the circuit...

Disney would rather spend their money on something more......profitable.
1280px-Shanghai_Disney_Resort_logo.svg.png

800px-hong_kong_disneyland_logo.png

rob0519

I agree, enhancing the theme on the railroad circuit would certainly make it a better attraction for the customer. However, would the cost of those changes be recouped? - definitely not. Unless there is perceived profitability in an idea (more dessert parties, tents in Tomorrowland, Express Bus Service) we all know this management isn't interested. Maybe I'm missing something. What tangible gains do you see from adding a theme or story to a few trestles and forest?

Bocabear

I agree, enhancing the theme on the railroad circuit would certainly make it a better attraction for the customer. However, would the cost of those changes be recouped? - definitely not. Unless there is perceived profitability in an idea (more dessert parties, tents in Tomorrowland, Express Bus Service) we all know this management isn't interested. Maybe I'm missing something. What tangible gains do you see from adding a theme or story to a few trestles and forest?
more people riding the train...more to do in the park without adding a whole other attraction...Make the train more of a "must See" attraction rather than just a mode of transporation around the park. Aside from the ndian camp and the cabin along the river, there is no scenery to speak of... Shouldn't there be something in Adventureland that looks amazing? Shouldn't Tomorrowland actually have some set pieces? Make it feel like you are really traveling through all the lands rather than passing by on a back access maintenance road. Each of the three segments of the railroad should have their own show settings... It would make it feel very complete.
*PLUS they could sell railroad souvenirs in the main station...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, Looks like the train just 'went seasonal' Save the OPEX of the train for 3 months of the year, I'm sure there will be some desultory track work to provide a beard for the shutdown. Basically Disney just cut the train expenses for next year by 25%, Somebody's getting a bonus out of this one (and it's not the Guest)

Guess those Q1 numbers are looking really bad especially since those who visited for 'The Lights' are no longer showing up and spending money.

As to the 25%, I expect the train will re-open just before the easter holiday

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On another steam train topic, now that the Lilly Belle has returned the Walter E. Disney is going away for a "refurbishment". Info from a train engineer, not a bus driver. ;)

As I recall the Walter E. Disney also has some issues but nowhere near the level of problems the Lilly Belle had, Plus high pressure steam boilers do require periodic maintenance so it makes sense that once the Lilly Belle is online that the Walter E. Disney would go in for maintenance,

On the bright side Iger's harebrained idea to convert the Lilly Belle to Diesel Electric (to make it 'Greener') did not happen.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
more people riding the train...more to do in the park without adding a whole other attraction...Make the train more of a "must See" attraction rather than just a mode of transporation around the park. Aside from the ndian camp and the cabin along the river, there is no scenery to speak of... Shouldn't there be something in Adventureland that looks amazing? Shouldn't Tomorrowland actually have some set pieces? Make it feel like you are really traveling through all the lands rather than passing by on a back access maintenance road. Each of the three segments of the railroad should have their own show settings... It would make it feel very complete.
*PLUS they could sell railroad souvenirs in the main station...

Heck the train IS an attraction and one of my favorites having been interested in Trains my whole life, When I was five I was asked what do I want to do 'Be an Engineer' well that DID come true but then I was talking about being a Train Engineer...

It's always puzzled me on why Disney passes up obvious and thematically appropriate merchandising like selling Engineers hats, overalls, conductor caps train whistles and books and videos about trains at the train station meanwhile they come up with offensive upcharges for things which used to be included with admission.

But I think that can be attributed to the TDO executives having NO INTEREST in the park other than strip mining it for revenue. Same thing at Sears once the Hardware department was managed by people who used and cared about quality tools at a mass market price.

Now it's run by MBA's who say a 'wrench is a wrench' who cares about quality, They don't understand that a tool which breaks or damages equipment is worse than no tool at all. And why many former Craftsman buyers now buy Snap-On, Matco, Cornwall, Williams and SK.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom