Walt Disney World Monorail system to operate on revised schedule from September 1

Figment2005

They did a poor job of handling the park opening transportation when we were there in early July.

We waited 50 minutes one morning for a Magic Kingdom bus that never showed up, despite repeated assurances from the college kid who worked for transportation that it wouldn't only be a few more minutes. I went to the front desk and complained, since we were going to miss our first FastPasses of the day and there were two people in our party who couldn't do the 15 to 20-minute walk to the park from the Contemporary. The concierge rescheduled our FPs, gave us each two extra FPs and found a van to take us to the park. We weren't the only people who complained to the front desk CMs. We certainly appreciated those efforts, but that didn't negate the fact that the bus issue never should have occurred.

On another day, we waited 30 minutes for an Epcot bus, which didn't go straight to the park. It went to the bus stop at TTC. There must have been 100 people in line. It took nearly 50 minutes from the moment we arrived at the Contemporary bus stop to the moment the bus pulled in to the Epcot bus area, well past park opening. There were other less lengthy, but nonetheless aggravating, morning delays throughout the trip.

My husband, kids and I were at BLT for a 10-night trip. My parents spent half of the trip at the Contemporary and half at BLT. We're morning people and like to hit the parks at opening. We did not spend all that money to stay at monorail resorts to have transportation issues every morning we went to MK or Epcot. We haven't decided when we're going to take our next trip, but if the monorails aren't projected to be back to normal for those dates, we will not stay at BLT. It just isn't worth the hassle.
I'm sorry it was busy in July?

cw1982

I'm sorry it was busy in July?

If I'm reading the post you quoted correctly, the issue was that the buses were not coming by. Being busy would mean they kept coming consistently and leaving with a full load. This is completely different from them not showing up at all for almost an hour, particularly when Disney should have known the buses would be in higher demand without the monorail being open. That sounds more like a failure on Disney's part to be prepared than anything.

Last edited:

kbmum

If I'm reading the post you quoted correctly, the issue was that the buses were not coming by. Being busy would mean they kept coming consistently and leaving with a full load. This is completely different from them not showing up at all for almost an hour, particularly when Disney should have known the buses would be in higher demand without the monorail being open. That sounds more like a failure to be prepared than anything.

You are correct. The buses didn't show up. We weren't the only people being affected. Another family had been waiting longer than us and went to the concierge right after we did. I don't know what the CMs did for them. There were a lot of angry people at the bus stop.

I understand the monorail work has to be done. The issue is that Disney didn't step up with reliable and consistent replacement transportation. They still haven't. I heard from a friend who stayed at the Contemp a week ago and she complained about the same problems.

wdw71fan

It has to stop at the TTC to allow monorail resort guests to transfer to Epcot. But it's not like it's not allowed, just not encouraged. I always smile as I pass a huge line at the Express and then walk on to resort line. I don't think the average guest realizes that they're both going the same place.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I heard 2016 as a rumored date to have the monorail automation done. Seemed ridiculous to me, but who knows, maybe the preliminary work will be done in September while other pieces get done later?

not quite correct.... Stop 2 is listed as Parking Lot / Transportation and Ticket Center.... You would never list the parking lot as a destination unless those parked in it were intended to use that train as well.

main.php

Figment2005

not quite correct.... Stop 2 is listed as Parking Lot / Transportation and Ticket Center.... You would never list the parking lot as a destination unless those parked in it were intended to use that train as well.

main.php
Correct, this is because the express and ferry are one way until 11:30 each morning. This allows folks to leave before then.

Edit: Also, if you notice at the TTC, the resort sign does not mention anything about Magic Kingdom. All about the crowd flow.

bethymouse

Can't they just work on the monorail after park guests get back to their resort, or is this "refurb" too extensive? I'm confused.:confused: The boats are still convenient as well, but they do get crowded. I just hate to pay all of that $$$ for the convenience of the monorail to not be able to use it.:(

Phil12

Only the weak minded fall for that trick
We drive to the MK for rope drop. After parking at the TTC we board the resort monorail and ride to the MK. More often than not we're early in our arrival at the MK so we ride the monorail around the resort loop to stay in the AC rather than getting off the monorail and standing in the crowd full of sweaty guests while waiting for the MK to open. We've been known to ride around the resort loop six or seven times while waiting. :happy:

dstrawn9889

Can't they just work on the monorail after park guests get back to their resort, or is this "refurb" too extensive? I'm confused.:confused: The boats are still convenient as well, but they do get crowded. I just hate to pay all of that $$$ for the convenience of the monorail to not be able to use it.:(
you are paying for a DELUXE RESORT, not a 'monorail' resort...

s8film40

you are paying for a DELUXE RESORT, not a 'monorail' resort...
No your paying for a Monorail resort. If you don't believe it call Disney and ask why Contemporary cost more than Wilderness lodge, they're both "Deluxe" resorts after all. The resort budget actually pays money to the transportation department for the use of the monorails this cost is then built into the room costs.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
They woudl help alleviate some of these issues by having more high capacity watercraft to handle the monorail resort crowds and they could add a loop from CR to MK with a cruiser if they had to(although timing is important as both launches on the blue route dock at CR at the same time).

The TTC to MK crowd should experience better wait times due to the double dock capacity the ferryboats have now. Although I haven't witnessed it since they added the new docks, I was a pilot during the testing and it certainly helps keep people moving(although in truth it doesn't necessarily mean people are spending LESS time getting to MK, but the PERCEPTION is that they are because they continue moving forward).

Unfortunately the resorts are too cheap to pay for additional watercraft transportation largely because it would require expanding dry dock as well and as previously stated, resorts pay for transportation, so despite huge addons with BLT and GF/Poly DVC, no more boats are in place.

Of course, as a local at the time, I rarely took the monorails anyway, nor would I if on vacation. Why? I don't trust them. They don't need planned down time to be down LOL

misterID

funny, disney makes no distinction on the physical location on their website...
deluxe_zps91cea55b.jpg
Funny, you talk like someone from Disney's legal department.

They advertise those specific resorts as having monorail service as a perk at staying at that resort. It's even in their planning DVD that tries to encourage people to spend more money for a deluxe resort for more convenient transportation. So if I'm paying for a room at the GF for example (I don't know why I would, but I digress) and one of the reasons I chose that resort over Port Orleans was because of the monorail service and then I find out they shut that service down... Yeah, I'd be ticked. I'd be even more ticked, however, if there's some poster online giving be the business about why I shouldn't be ticked about something I have every right to be ticked about!

dstrawn9889

all one would have to do is change resorts... and if i was Disney legal, i wouldn't care what some little, tiny group complained about on a non-mainstream forum...
so dont start crap
i am merely showing that they may say the monorails stop there, they DO NOT 101 a hotel because a perk is not running at that ruddy second(even though the resort beam is running longer hours than the express is), they offer other forms of transport. all the 'lagoon resorts have water taxi service and when the rails are down, bus service. no need to get your knickers in a twist about the planned and announced downtime for upgrades.

misterID

all one would have to do is change resorts... and if i was Disney legal, i wouldn't care what some little, tiny group complained about on a non-mainstream forum...
so dont start crap
i am merely showing that they may say the monorails stop there, they DO NOT 101 a hotel because a perk is not running at that ruddy second(even though the resort beam is running longer hours than the express is), they offer other forms of transport. all the 'lagoon resorts have water taxi service and when the rails are down, bus service. no need to get your knickers in a twist about the planned and announced downtime for upgrades.
Oh, I know you're not really legal, they get paid to care about what some little, tiny group complain about on a non-mainstream forum and be all obnoxious and presumptive... they wouldn't do it in their free time because they like to... take your own advice about your knickers when somone is annoyed about something that doesn't involve you. It's Friday... chill.

I don't stay at those resorts. But if I did, and I did so specifically for the monorail, I would be annoyed. Simple.

ninjaprincesst

so dont start crap
so you pay for the transportation options of a deluxe,but get thetran sportation of a value. but have no right to complain ,especially when they have already had all summer to get it done, and no when we booked the refurb had not been announced, and as people on this forum have already stated early morning bus service from the Contemporary is pretty much non existant, and if someone in your party is disabled there goes the option for getting a taxi or riding a
so dont start crap
First they have had ample time to get this finished. Second as many have already stated on here early morning bus service is not happening when it is taking an hour or more to get a bus, this does not work when buses don't start running until 6:45, it takes until 7:45 for the bus to arrive, oops you just missed your 7:35 adr that you made when you were told the monorail would start running at 7:00. If you have any disabled people in your party you can't take a taxi or resort launch as they can not accomadate an ecv. So yes you do have the right to be upset.

KronosKeeper

Look. First of all, you were never guaranteed a monorail at any of the so-called "monorail resorts." They aren't "boat resorts" even though they are the only resorts with boat service to the Magic Kingdom. However if lightning isn't in the area, there's no collective panic. If you do not think you are getting your value from your other amenities that is something you take up with the front desk.

This is a ridiculous conversation including a double standard. If Disney takes a ride down for two weeks it's all cheering and excitement, however if the monorail goes down for an extra few hours in the morning you people freak out like it's the end of the world. The monorails haven't seen this much attention since 1989 and all of you can't be bothered to cope with a few hours of downtimes a day. Upgrades don't happen in one night. The automatic train control upgrade requires reworking the entire monorail beam with new antennas and equipment and retrofitting the trains to work on them. This is an old system.

If you are staying at the deluxe resorts and you want to get there before the monorails open, you have both resort buses and boats (in the case of Magic Kingdom), and if you're at the Contemporary it's less than a 5 minute walk. Trying to get back at night? Same deal. If you have a disabled party member that cannot be accommodated on the boats or normal taxis, I have sympathy, however there are ADA taxis available that I'm sure someone can help you find if the bus wait is just too unbearable.

I've never had a problem with ADR reservations and being late due to transportation, just be polite and explain to someone that the bus didn't come. They're normally very accommodating. Complain to concierge that the bus didn't come on time. But do not complain that the monorail isn't open.

All-in-all this is not something you should be having an outrage over. Things need work. Yes, it's an inconvenience, but so is having the ride you love so much go down so things can get better. If your circumstances are so different then you talk to someone at the hotels who can help. But I have no sympathy for you throwing a fit online because the monorail is getting refurbishments. It is not the monorails fault that the bus didn't come on time, so take it out on buses, not the rails. But watch what you complain about, next people will be wanting a $5 meal voucher because when you come Haunted Mansion is getting a refurb during their vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom