Walt Disney World Money Saving Tips and Tricks | 2017

Kristamouse

Buy gift cards in manageable increments per pay period, I did $50.00. We now have $750.00 for food, my family of 8 is about 3 days;)
Bonus: get a Target red card and save 5%. It is linked to an existing checking account not credit card. For us about $37.50 free, since Disney rarely does discounts this is an nice way to save.
Fun fact, didn't tell the hubs and he is thrilled...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigrigross

Buy gift cards in manageable increments per pay period, I did $50.00. We now have $750.00 for food, my family of 8 is about 3 days;)
Bonus: get a Target red card and save 5%. It is linked to an existing checking account not credit card. For us about $37.50 free, since Disney rarely does discounts this is an nice way to save.
Fun fact, didn't tell the hubs and he is thrilled...

We buy our gift cards from Samsclub. They are usually $143 dollars for a $150 dollar card. I then get $10 dollars for every $500 I spend at Sams. This is where it gets a bit odd. I go to Kroger and buy the prepaid credit cards since I get 6% cash back on my AMEX blue cash preferred card. If you get them in high enough values, the fee for activating them becomes negligible. I usually load them up fairly high. I then take that to samsclub to pay for the purchase. Its some foot work and planning but very worth it in the end.

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

We booked our June 2017 trip way back in July of 2016.
Didn't buy the dining plan.
At the end of December a promo came along which offered 1 free quick service meal, per person per day.
Thanks Disney for the 27 free meals!

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

We buy our gift cards from Samsclub. They are usually $143 dollars for a $150 dollar card. I then get $10 dollars for every $500 I spend at Sams. This is where it gets a bit odd. I go to Kroger and buy the prepaid credit cards since I get 6% cash back on my AMEX blue cash preferred card. If you get them in high enough values, the fee for activating them becomes negligible. I usually load them up fairly high. I then take that to samsclub to pay for the purchase. Its some foot work and planning but very worth it in the end.
Your an evil genius!

Upvote 0

bigrigross

Your an evil genius!

Yeah, I tried just buying a Walmart gift card and using it at Sams, but the Walmart where I live shows up as a department store on my amex bill. The AMEX card I have gives you 6% back on grocery stores, luckily my Kroger has the custom load amex cards and the activation fee is like 5 dollars every time you load it. So for my trip coming up in May, I have saved 500 dollars alone just in doing that card shuffle. I also got an offer for a chase Disney card to get a 250 dollar gift card if I spend 500 on the regular card that doesn't have the fee. Total savings of everything I have done, I will have only spent 3K on a 4K vacation. I also am getting 80 dollars from the Disney vacation savings account for putting that money in there.

Upvote 0

bigrigross

The Amex card does have a 96 dollar yearly fee. It gives you 6% back on grocery stores, 3% on gas, and 1% everything else. What I do is just buy gift cards from Kroger and use them to pay for everything to get my max 6%. I easily get my 96 dollars back in the first few months.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

If airfare is a large part of your trip expenditure (about 20% of the total cost of a Disney vacation in my family's case), consider an airline rewards card. I have a JetBlue Mastercard and earn enough points over 2-3 years to cover roundtrip airfare for the whole family to/from Orlando (instant 20% savings!). Couple that with traveling during a time of year when WDW is likely to offer a room discount and/or "free" dining promotion, and we end up saving 25-30% off of the "rack rate" cost of our vacation.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom