Walt Disney World @ Mid-August

SpykeYs

Good day ;-)

I have been to Disney World ~ 4-5 times. Last visit is ~ 6 years ago.

My daughter is now 4 1/2 years old. My wife and I are thinking about having another child and hopefully my wife will be pregnant in the next few months.

As my wife is a school teacher in canada, our only 2 possibilities if we would like to go with my daughter is end of august (August 15th - August 22nd) OR Canada March Break (Feb 24th to March 3rd).

Since there is a big possibility that my wife will be pregnant by march, august seems to be the most logic choice.

What do you guys think about a Disney vacation in mid august ? I know the weather can be hot, I know it will most likely rain (but will it rain all day ?)..

The problem with feb/march is if my wife is pregnant, it will be difficult for her to walk 6-7 hours a day and + she will not be able to do all attractions. Also, if she get pregnant, I don't think I would be coming back to Disney until the new baby is at least 3-4-5 and that would bring my daughter to like 8-9 years old.

I think at 4 1/2 she would be totally amazed by Disney..

But again, what do you guys think of me booking for mid august ? Am I crazy ?

Package I found is 2 adult, 1 child... Port Orleans, Dining Plan, 7 days Disney hopper for 3000$ us tx in. (no flights included).. Is this is a good price ?

Thanks again ;)))
Pierre

fractal

Our last three trips were in late July to mid-August time frame.

It will be hot; very hot. It will be humid and on most days you will have a thunderstorm or two roll in (and out).

Here's how we handled it and learned from it.

Become and stay hydrated. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Drink fluids before you go outside and continue to make sure you're hydrated - keep a close eye on your daughter. If she hasn't used the restrooms in awhile she's likely not drinking enough.

Excessive heat can cause a drop in blood sugar. Keep an eye on that and don't be afraid to eat an apple or other fruit vs "sugar added" foods such as sodas or candy. Listen to your body - if you feel thirsty drink, if lightheaded eat some fruit, etc.

We hit the parks very early before the afternoon beat down from the sun. After lunch we went back to the resort for either a nap or pool time. Water park is another option.
Tstorms also tend to hit in the afternoon. We would then have dinner and plan to be in the parks again after dinner. Summer nights at WDW are awesome.

Bring ponchos. If it does rain while in the parks it will tend to clear out the crowd. This is actually a great time to hit some rides. If you find yourself in the parks during the peak sun hours, plan on dark rides, exhibits, things inside and/or restaurants.

Wear appropriate clothing. Light and breathable. Sunscreen for exposed areas is a must as is a brimmed hat especially if you are sensitive to the sun.

In the end, it's all about common sense and some pre-planning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fractal

Another tip - If you don't already, go for long walks during the summer days. Get in "Disney" shape by getting used to walking a long time in the sun. See how it affects your body.
This will condition you and give you great feedback for further planning.

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

Another tip - If you don't already, go for long walks during the summer days. Get in "Disney" shape by getting used to walking a long time in the sun. See how it affects your body.
This will condition you and give you great feedback for further planning.
I totally agree with this.

Upvote 0

jrogue

It looks like crowds will be pretty okay the whole summer, but the closer you get to school being back in session (whether college or regular school) then the fewer crowds you will see. I'd recommend going in August for that reason vs mid-July.

It will 100% be hot, and pregnant or not you and your wife and child should take a break or two during the day in some AC. The best times to go to the parks in this heat are the early morning and then closer to nightfall.

August is the beginning of hurricane season I believe, so it will probably rain. The rain doesn't last all day though usually, so make sure to use the most of your time with that rain, grab a poncho, and go! :)

Sounds like a standard price for your trip, so I'd say go for it! You're not crazy for going in August :)

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

We have gone in August many many times. GO!!!! You'll be fine in the heat. Take breaks in the afternoon to go swimming or rest. Remember, a lot of rides/shows are inside in full blast air conditioning! Eat lots of ice cream and drink lots of water and you'll be fine. The crowd levels are lowER at the time you're thinking of going. I think you and your family will have an amazing time! Bring ponchos and comfy shoes and you'll be fine. Happy planning!

Upvote 0

21stamps

Choose August-
Take advantage of Casey's Splash and Soak Station. (Not even joking). Purchase parkas and a water fan. The crowds are lower after the rain, and so many attractions are indoors they remain open through the weather.
You'll be fine :)

Upvote 0

KordovaJD

We did August 7 - 11 in 2005. It was hot, and it was humid. But we're from south Texas, so it was kind of a break from what we're used to. That time of year in south Texas it's typically 102 to 105 and 90% humidity and heat indexes in the 110-115 range. Heat index today, for example, is 108 and it's about 80% humidity. My point is that it may be tough that first day, but certainly won't be unbearable if you're having fun.

It will likely be in the low to mid 90's and it will rain every afternoon, so take a poncho.

Prepare to stay hydrated, but go and enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom