Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LindsayLoves

My only regret: Not stopping for Japanese Chip & Dale during the 5K. I just wanted to finish and get out of the cold.

Well don't feel too bad because I did wait for that photo and the version on my camera is a complete blur because the cast member taking the photos was terrible and would start walking to hand you your camera back before the camera had taken the picture. Ugh. He also took a terrible photo of me and Mushu for the half, and a really nice photo of me and Thumper at the full (but it was light out at that point so he couldn't really mess it up).

Well I learned that if you finish the 5k too fast (>50 minutes) you have to wait in the cold for all the back of the packers to clear the area so the buses can pull in. I didn't even run that fast and stopped for all the photo ops. I really felt for the guys who finished in 20 minutes because they really had a looong wait. We had to wait for everyone plus the balloon ladies to clear the area before they would bring one bus in, when I got in the bus line there were still several hundred people on the course at mile .25-.50 where the buses queue. Those 20 minutes after the 5k were the coldest I was the entire Dopey Challenge. I thought the same thing would happen for the 10k so I decided to wait in the long post-race Dopey photo line and by the time I cleared that the buses were pulling up. After the 5k I learned that I should also check a bag with warm clothing in it in the event of delayed buses for the 10k.

Texas84

Well don't feel too bad because I did wait for that photo and the version on my camera is a complete blur because the cast member taking the photos was terrible and would start walking to hand you your camera back before the camera had taken the picture. Ugh. He also took a terrible photo of me and Mushu for the half, and a really nice photo of me and Thumper at the full (but it was light out at that point so he couldn't really mess it up).

Thanks. I feel better about missing that pic then. :D

I looked for them at the 10K but they weren't in Japan. I think they were somewhere else with a different outfit.

LindsayLoves

Overall I had a wonderful experience doing the Dopey Challenge. For me it was much easier doing the 4 early days in a row as opposed to one early wake up for the marathon. The lines for photos were never all that long, they seemed a lot shorter than they did 2 years ago when I last did the marathon. Sometimes I wanted a bit of a rest at the character stops and there was only one person in line in front of me so it was a very quick turnaround. I even took 20+ minutes off my Disney marathon PR from 2 years ago which was quite a surprise after running all the races and spending A LOT of time in the parks between races (logging 7-10 miles walking each day). It was also very strange to start and finish the 10k in the dark.

It was brought to my attention by Shannon, @Ariel484, that runDisney used a photo of me on their Facebook page as one of the four cover images for their marathon photo album. I am the one with Friar Tuck, Robin Hood, and Little John, wearing the Lotso inspired outfit if you want to check it out.

5K was brutal and each day was one less layer. The marathon was perfect for me. I even enjoyed the rain at the end.

I would've liked it a bit cooler for the marathon, luckily the sun stayed tucked away for most of the race making it pretty comfortable.

The only race I wore tights for was the 5k because I knew I wouldn't warm up enough in 3.1 miles to justify shorts. I wore tank tops and arm warmers the first three days, and I rolled them down for the 10k and half because I was just too warm. Thanks to those in room washing machines in Kidani because I only brought one pair of arm warmers with me...

I have no idea how people were running the half in long pants, long sleeves and jackets. I was plenty warm in shorts and a tank.

Never underestimate the power of throw away clothing. I did not bring one piece of throwaway gear back with me and I only took it off once the 30 second countdown started for my corral. It saved me a lot of misery in those early morning hours.

Thanks. I feel better about missing that pic then. :D

I looked for them at the 10K but they weren't in Japan. I think they were somewhere else with a different outfit.

Yes they were out 3/4 days in different costumes according to my photos, and different outfits each. The Japan costume was the best.

216bruce

Does anyone know if there is a way to still purchase any merchandise from the race weekend? I want to pick up a shirt I didn't get and I'd love to get the Dopey jacket. Do they sell the leftover merch at some point? I really want to avoid the crazy e-bay prices. Thanks.

LindsayLoves

Does anyone know if there is a way to still purchase any merchandise from the race weekend? I want to pick up a shirt I didn't get and I'd love to get the Dopey jacket. Do they sell the leftover merch at some point? I really want to avoid the crazy e-bay prices. Thanks.

Some items have made their way to disneystore.com in runDisney section after a few recent races but its a small selection and the items are usually gone within a day.

I think they brought most of the extra merch to that merchandise tent that was on site for the half and the full. They definitely did not have everything available. There were no men's Dopey jackets - they had the women's which was a light lavender and had no back graphic and the only had men's "I did it" Dopey shirts left, no women's. They did have quite a few items for the half leftover but nothing that really caught my eye.

lukacseven

Well I learned that if you finish the 5k too fast (>50 minutes) you have to wait in the cold for all the back of the packers to clear the area so the buses can pull in. I didn't even run that fast and stopped for all the photo ops. I really felt for the guys who finished in 20 minutes because they really had a looong wait. We had to wait for everyone plus the balloon ladies to clear the area before they would bring one bus in, when I got in the bus line there were still several hundred people on the course at mile .25-.50 where the buses queue. Those 20 minutes after the 5k were the coldest I was the entire Dopey Challenge. I thought the same thing would happen for the 10k so I decided to wait in the long post-race Dopey photo line and by the time I cleared that the buses were pulling up. After the 5k I learned that I should also check a bag with warm clothing in it in the event of delayed buses for the 10k.

I stood and waited for over an hour for a bus after the 5K. I wasn't thinking that being in A corral I would be finished before the last corral started, but once the course cleared, it took a while to get organized and get busses to some of the resorts. I thought the race transportation throughout the week was terrible at best. It took over an hour to get to the expo at 11:00 am on Wednesday from POFQ. Every morning getting to the start line there was some sort of issue. Didn't get a bus on Saturday from AKLKV 'til 4:35 because the bus driver pulled over somewhere & was sleeping. Also had spectators get lost and miss us in 2 parks because the drivers did not show up to the dry runs and had no idea where to go. I was also slightly disappointed in the Dopey shirt.

On the positive side, I liked the way they had the corrals set-up for the 5k/10k races. Once I got to the Epcot in the morning and got out of gear check after the races, I couldn't complain about anything. Disney did a great job, as expected. Subtle change in the marathon course from 2013 - exiting AK at a different point (behind gift shop in Dinoland, instead of running past Dinosaur (the ride). Not sure what, if any, change in distance that was, but I believe that was the same change as last year, as well - it seemed slightly longer. Didn't notice anywhere else on the course where they may have shaved a little off - maybe in WWOS?

LindsayLoves

@lukacseven - Yikes, I refused to look at my watch while I was waiting for that bus because I knew it would just make me angry. I was on the first bus back to the resort and I would guess I waited 20-30 minutes. I love how three buses came for the All Star Resorts before one showed up for AKL. I am also hoping that those 20 minutes will be the only time I see the 'balloon ladies' in a Disney race.

I am very surprised to hear about your bus issues especially if you were staying at AKLKV because that's where I stayed and the only delay I experienced was for the 10k - it took about 20 minutes for a bus to show up. I did get down to the buses on the early side 3:35 for the 10k, 3:20ish for the half and the full. For the half I walked down and there was an empty bus but they were waiting for a half full bus to come from Jambo that never showed up so we waited 5 minutes before getting on the empty one. For the full at 3:25am there were three empty buses waiting for passengers. I think our bus left without filling up because there were two others waiting and no one else was ready to board. Getting back to the resort for the 10k-full was a breeze. No long waits for the buses and they filled quickly.

It stinks that your spectators were not able to see you.

@Texas84 - Were you in corral A for the 5k/10k? With a a 32 minute 5k I think the buffer time between corrals might have shortened your wait tremendously. I was mid-pack in A and ran 38 minutes (that Chip and Dale line was lonnggggg) and ended up waiting about 20 minutes for a bus.

FerretAfros

There were no men's Dopey jackets - they had the women's which was a light lavender and had no back graphic and the only had men's "I did it" Dopey shirts left, no women's.
There was a blue men's Dopey jacket that said something like "Eat, Sleep, Run, Repeat" on the back in yellow, but it sold out incredibly fast. I was in the official merchandise area in the 2nd building before 11:30am on Wednesday and they only had XL and 2XLs left. We checked the official merchandise in the packet pick-up building around 11am, and there were none there. We asked the CMs and they said that if it wasn't on the rack, they didn't have any more in stock

This has long been a point of contention of mine with runDisney, since they know exactly how many runners are coming, and they even know their shirt sizes. It shouldn't be so hard to figure out how to order a decent stock of merchandise after all these years. Throughout the course of the weekend, I did see some women wearing the men's jacket (and a couple men in the women's jacket, presumably because that's all that was left when they visited the expo) which might reduce the number of smaller jackets available, but runDisney should have taken this into account. This isn't their first rodeo
On the positive side, I liked the way they had the corrals set-up for the 5k/10k races. Once I got to the Epcot in the morning and got out of gear check after the races, I couldn't complain about anything. Disney did a great job, as expected. Subtle change in the marathon course from 2013 - exiting AK at a different point (behind gift shop in Dinoland, instead of running past Dinosaur (the ride). Not sure what, if any, change in distance that was, but I believe that was the same change as last year, as well - it seemed slightly longer. Didn't notice anywhere else on the course where they may have shaved a little off - maybe in WWOS?
I also wondered about the new exit out of DAK. It certainly seemed longer to me, but the 2014-certified USATF course says that it's right. I'm still curious about last year's course, which didn't go through the costuming tunnel in the certified version or on the Disney map (this year's displays the same on Disney's map), but the actual race certainly did
http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL12023TY

LindsayLoves

There was a blue men's Dopey jacket that said something like "Eat, Sleep, Run, Repeat" on the back in yellow, but it sold out incredibly fast. (snip)

This has long been a point of contention of mine with runDisney, since they know exactly how many runners are coming, and they even know their shirt sizes. It shouldn't be so hard to figure out how to order a decent stock of merchandise after all these years. Throughout the course of the weekend, I did see some women wearing the men's jacket (and a couple men in the women's jacket, presumably because that's all that was left when they visited the expo) which might reduce the number of smaller jackets available, but runDisney should have taken this into account. This isn't their first rodeo

Yes I loved that men's jacket and was jealous of everyone wearing it all weekend, including plenty of women. The women's jacket was awful, it looked like someone slapped an iron on transfer to the front it with no fun back graphic.

When I got to the expo (around 4pm on Wednesday) I went right over to the Dopey "I did it" shirts and they only had one size left in women's. Knock on wood it was my size (small) otherwise I would've had to go for the men's cut, which a ton of ladies had to do.

I understand that they don't want to have a ton of leftover merch and apparently they are terrible at figuring out which designs will sell better than others, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement.

I just looked at eBay and there isn't a single Dopey jacket listed which means all those purchased were bought by legit folks who wanted to wear them. I know rD could've sold a lot more of those suckers but apparently they are not interested in taking my money :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom