Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

The half seemingly filled up either last night or early this morning. It's not updated on runDisney.com but if you try to register, Active.com says it's full!

Marathon - 50% full
Half Marathon - Sold Out!
10K - Sold Out!
5K - Sold Out!
Dopey - Sold Out
!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The half seemingly filled up either last night or early this morning. It's not updated on runDisney.com but if you try to register, Active.com says it's full!

Marathon - 50% full
10K - Sold Out!
5K - Sold Out!
Dopey - Sold Out
!
Wow. Is this a record for this event?

Kermit262

Marathon - 50% full
10K - Sold Out!
5K - Sold Out!
Dopey - Sold Out
!

Every time I look at this list on their website I'm bothered that they list the Dopey but not the Goofy. It strikes me as inconsistent. Anyway, I have a friend that's interested in signing up for the Goofy. I wonder if it's still open for registration now that the half is sold out.

dreamfinder

It took me about 20 minutes to get through. I tried going straight to Active.com, but they were only showing charity spots (sold out) and the other link was to buy merch. I'm actually really surprised Disney doesn't have their own site for registration, given all the endurance events they have now.

I'd be very very surprised if they did take it private. After some of the big profile complete blow ups over the last few years (Marine Corps I believe among others), makes more sense to let someone else handle all the stress, especially seeing how many other fun things the WDW web sites do.

Wow. Is this a record for this event?

Quoting my own post from the day after reg opened last year, it would seem to be so.
10K - Sold Out
5K - 84%
Dopey - 85%
Half - 51%

Pace has definitely slowed down, might take a few days for Dopey/5K to fill up now. I'd still think the half has a while to go, but keep your eye on it if its an option.

Every time I look at this list on their website I'm bothered that they list the Dopey but not the Goofy. It strikes me as inconsistent. Anyway, I have a friend that's interested in signing up for the Goofy. I wonder if it's still open for registration now that the half is sold out.

It should be still open, yes. They hold a set number of slots for each of the different events.

Ariel484

They don't list the races until they are at least 50% full...so it seems Goofy isn't 50% full yet. That's why the marathon didn't pop up right away yesterday.

Ariel484

The half now shows up as full on the website, along with the 5K, 10K and Dopey. Marathon is still at 50%...no status for Goofy yet (so Goofy is not yet 50% full).

lukacseven

The half now shows up as full on the website, along with the 5K, 10K and Dopey. Marathon is still at 50%...no status for Goofy yet (so Goofy is not yet 50% full).

Not even 50% and it's an anniversary year??? People had to get shut out of Dopey - and they aren't signing up for Goofy? Anyone else find that odd?

Ariel484

Not even 50% and it's an anniversary year??? People had to get shut out of Dopey - and they aren't signing up for Goofy? Anyone else find that odd?
Yes, I find it very odd. I could see the mindset that people that were set on doing Goofy decided, "eh, what's 2 more races" and decided on Dopey instead. That was sort of my mindset...was planning on Goofy, then they announced the Minnie 10K and I MUST HAVE A MINNIE MEDAL, so why not do the 5K too? But I was totally expecting what @LindsayLoves guessed yesterday, that once Dopey sold out Goofy would sell more quickly as well. Just hasn't happened yet! Very weird.

ETA: I think runDisney finds it odd, too. At one point they tweeted out a picture of the Goofy medal, reminding people that it's an anniversary year. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they did that to attempt to drive up sales. Didn't seem to work. o_O

Last edited:

Mad Stitch

I'm not surprised about Goofy not yet being at 50%. It was still open in August last year and was the last to sell out. As others have said, if your considering doing Goofy it's not a big step up to complete Dopey. Frankly I was surprised when they added a second challenge to marathon weekend. I thought they should have just added the 5 & 10k onto Goofy. runDisney should probably consider taking away Goofy slots and give them to individual half and full entries.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

I agree that a lot of people considering Goofy probably decided to move up to Dopey for the extra bling and bragging rights. At that point, it's basically the same training schedule; it's just the cost and early wake-ups that make the difference

I think runDisney might have some challenges communicating the anniversaries to the general public. Since there are so many different events in Marathon Weekend, it's not always clear what's going on. I know that I was pleasantly surprised by my first Goofy being the 15th Half, but I had no knowledge of that before I got to the expo. Even with runDisney's stronger social media presence, I could definitely see things being unclear to the more casual runners

Katherine

I agree with everything here. On paper what's another 5k and 10k when you are thinking about Goofy anyways? I'm signed up for a second Dopey!

My parents however weren't lucky enough to get into the 5k and 10k like they did last year. They sold out faster than they or I expected. I really wish runDisney would reduce the number of Dopey registrations to open up half the 5k and 10k field to be for single race runners. :( They are looking into different charities that they could get a spot through and my mom also emailed runDisney but I warned her it probably won't go anywhere with them.

FerretAfros

My parents however weren't lucky enough to get into the 5k and 10k like they did last year. They sold out faster than they or I expected. I really wish runDisney would reduce the number of Dopey registrations to open up half the 5k and 10k field to be for single race runners. :( They are looking into different charities that they could get a spot through and my mom also emailed runDisney but I warned her it probably won't go anywhere with them.
Have them check with some of the travel agents too. They charge more than regular race registration, but it's less overall once you consider the fundraising requirements for charities. I know GetTravel had some the other day, but I don't have any idea if they've sold out since [Edit: There are also several other 'official' travel agents that may be able to help you guys out]

lukacseven

I was trying to register for Dopey when the site was crashing and tried going straight to Active.com & it took me to the charity page. All of the charity spots on the site were sold out, as well. Emailing runDisney might you get a nice "sorry" email, but I'd be shocked if it was anything more. Not sure going through a charity running group directly would get you a spot, but their fundraising minimums are usually pretty steep.

Ariel484

There's that Goof!

Marathon - 60% full
Goofy - 50% full
10K - Sold Out!
5K - Sold Out!
Dopey - Sold Out
!

Katherine

Have them check with some of the travel agents too. They charge more than regular race registration, but it's less overall once you consider the fundraising requirements for charities. I know GetTravel had some the other day, but I don't have any idea if they've sold out since [Edit: There are also several other 'official' travel agents that may be able to help you guys out]

Yeah I went through the charities and figured out which ones have spots for the 5k and 10k and sent them those an an option. The fundraising goals, IMO, aren't crazy for the 5k it's anywhere from $450-$600 from what I can tell.

I was trying to register for Dopey when the site was crashing and tried going straight to Active.com & it took me to the charity page. All of the charity spots on the site were sold out, as well. Emailing runDisney might you get a nice "sorry" email, but I'd be shocked if it was anything more. Not sure going through a charity running group directly would get you a spot, but their fundraising minimums are usually pretty steep.

Yeah, that's what I told my mom but she still sent it. It can't hurt right? Maybe they'll end up on a wait list? I don't know... we'll see how this all pans out.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. They also seem interested in volunteering too which would be cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom