1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Discussion in 'Running at WDW' started by wdwmagic, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Swissmiss

Swissmiss Well-Known Member

Some good advice, thanks. I had been thinking that we could ask my brother-in-law to bring a bag, but the reality is that I will be with his wife ... and he has quite the artist/inventor personality which means he could easily forget it when he walks out the door without her there to remind him. :)

LAKid53 likes this.
  2. LAKid53

LAKid53 Well-Known Member

Disney tries to discourage you from bringing the gear bag. So I wondered why runners were bringing the bag, many held flip flops. And then I ran my first half. And was jealous of runners pulling out their flip flops and taking off their running shoes.....

I now bring my gear bag for both the 10k and half. It contains packs of my hydration (Gatorade is nasty to me - too much artificial stuff and sugar :hungover:) and recovery powders to put in the water bottles they hand you at the end of the race, some body wipes, REAL nutrition (not the junk that's in the snack pack you get), a jacket (if it's still going to be chilly at finish time, like the 2015 Princess) and those flip flops.

Speaking of staying warm.... Bring a cheap blanket or bathrobe with you next January, one you won't mind tossing. It can be really cold and windy standing in your corral for a hour or so waiting to start. You'd be surprised at the number of runners who do this and then toss the blanket/robe by the side of the road, over a barricade when they start running. Disney then collects the discarded items, cleans them and donates them to charities or homeless shelters. I visit Target before I leave for WDW and pickup a cheap bathrobe or two. Much better than those space blankets other runners wear, more comfy... :)

CanadianGordon likes this.
  3. Swissmiss

@LAKid53 - the bathrobe idea is GENIUS!

I'm not "running" the 5 km - have had to promise my sister we'll do it walking (she's capable of walking the distance at a good enough pace but not running - unless she plans on surprising me at Christmas when I get to her house, as far as I know she only uses her treadmill for walking) so the flip flops on that day may not be necessary, but I know that they definitely will be necessary for me after the half. My feet were killing me after the DLP half and I would have loved to have a pair of flip flops.

The food idea is also a good one. When I did the 10 km in May (which had an 8 pm start time) all they had was a water station at the 4 km and at the end more water (but no European equivalent of Gatorade even if I am not a fan of the taste) and some banana slices and orange wedges. I think I would have been ok with a whole banana, but there was not really a way to take more than a couple of slices so I was starving by the time I got home.

4. LAKid53

I asked a runner I was walking with to the starting corrals about her bathrobe and she told me. Brilliant idea on the part of both runners and Disney - and people in need get blankets, robes and jackets. Win-win.

The Half will have hydration tables every 1.5 miles with both water and Powerade. If you have a water bottle, they will refill it for you. Somewhere around Mile 9 or 10, they have a fuel station with gel packs and maybe Cliff Bars - I bring my own.

The snack box they hand you has cookies, a "protein" bar (more like a candy bar), plastic cheese :hungover: and chips, some nut/fruit mix and a thing of squeezable apple sauce. They also hand out bananas. I eat the apple sauce and nut/fruit mixture, toss the "cheese", chips and "protein" bar and save the Oreos for dessert.

Swissmiss likes this.
  5. LAKid53

Just read an article on Marathon Investigation about a previously disqualified Boston Runner using her questionable Marathon time to qualify for Boston. Apparently, she has both chip and GPS issues for just about every race she runs. :rolleyes:

Question. If you run Dopey, does the 5k bib have a chip, unlike other runDisney 5ks?

6. Swissmiss

I just don't get why someone would cheat - and in her case repeatedly. It just seems like an awful lot of effort (and money) for a race medal that you can't even be proud of because you didn't truly earn it!

7. LAKid53

This issue is not medals, but that she was disqualified by 4 previous races that can be qualifiers for Boston - 2015 Miami, Chicago and Marine Corps and 2016 Vermont City - they had to shut down the course of this one due to the brutal heat conditions. And she failed to hit any of the intermediate timing mats.

And there's no evidence she finished the Marathon in January. She said the chip on the back of her bib was bent but that staff at the Expo wouldn't or couldn't replace it. She used as proof two stops at the first aid tent, not any data from the GPS watch she was wearing. She also said none of her bibs chirped at the threshold (gee, mine don't either), so she ran back several times to get it to work. Yeah, right.

But with this questionable race....and in spite of the 4 previous disqualifications...they qualified her for Boston 2018.

Her only clean race time was just under 6 hours for the Grandma's Marathon - and she hit all timing mats. But that time is not good enough for Boston, not even if you're a female over the age of 80....

8. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

If you do the Dopey challenge, you get 2 bibs, one for the 5k/10k, and one for the half/full marathon. Each bib has a single chip on it, and all 4 events are timed. Since Dopey runners still make up like 75% of the 5k runners (unless they seriously changed the allocation from 7,500 Dopey in 10,000 5k runners) I'm still surprised they don't break down and just chip time them all. I'm pretty sure they don't do anything with all 4 times other than putting them on your certificate, so it seems to me they are just setting up the timing mats to make people feel good since they already have the chips.

LAKid53 likes this.
  9. LAKid53

Thanks!