Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Figment82

Oh yes, Wine and Dine 2015. They had everyone leave the starting corrals and take shelter in the sports complexes. After a delayed start they cut the course short resulting in a 7 mile (approximately) race.

At yes, the infamous "half half"!

I'm starting to have flashbacks to "Splash & Dash" 2014. Took me 2 days to warm up after that one... Forecasts in Florida change so frequently, I'm hoping that it'll lessen in intensity or at least move later in the day. But, knowing my luck, it'll be a miserable cold downpour the whole time. :hungover:

Figment82

:cry::cry::cry:

I'll be running 13.1 miles around my neighborhood once the weather clears up. It's a tough choice, and I'm grateful it's not one I had to make, but still disappointing.

I'm so sorry to those of you who travelled far, but hopefully you still have a wonderful vacation and make the most of it!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Given the weather that moved through North Florida last night, I'm glad runDisney made the decision. It's still storming up here in the Panhandle....and 37 degrees.

Stay safe, all of you running in tomorrow's marathon!

Simba's Mom

Reports said 100s of runners ran t their various Resorts and 100s of spectators cheered, brought signs and music, and even had a few water stations!! CBR and BC I saw reported that the recreation CMs cranked up the pool speakers with music to help the runners along.

Nice work to all who ran!

Yes, we saw the runners at OKW as well as the spectators with signs. So nice to see the support quickly put together.

wdwjmp239

For those who signed up for the Dopey Challenge this year and got "robbed" of the Half Marathon, it was nice to see Disney make such options available to the registrants. Though, some friends of mine who decided to go "Dopey" wound up running 13.1 miles around the hotel parking lots, on treadmills, or just around the complex in between the raindrops on Saturday. I did the Full Marathon on Sunday and it was brutally cold! Truthfully, I was not fully prepared for that and wound up making due with what I had one (three Tek material shirts, compression socks, shorts, and a mylar/space blanket). The last time I saw the forecast for Orlando was a week before the marathon - and the low was only supposed to get down to the mid 40s. But, 34 degrees with a windchill of 29? That was a bit extreme and I have never trained in weather like that before (it's kind of impossible to do in Southwest Florida - unless I drag a treadmill in a huge restaurant/commercial freezer).

Did I finish the marathon? Unfortunately, I did not. I got about 15.1 miles due to a number of things, including the passing away of my father a few days before the marathon. So, I got to thinking about him and had to stop on the side of the road to break down for a few minutes. The heart was there to run it, but the mind....not so much. I will say that the experience of being in those corrals, despite the cold weather, was enough to say, "Yep! It's real now!" The pace group I was pretty awesome. It was a 15/30 pace group - estimated time to complete the marathon (6:30). But, by the time we got past the Water Reclamation facility was when things started to fall apart for me. I'll make an attempt at the marathon again. Right now, I need to run a few more half marathons and work on getting my time under 3 hours so the next time I sign up for Disney.....I'll be in those higher corrals and get started sooner. LOL!

wdwjmp239

Reports said 100s of runners ran t their various Resorts and 100s of spectators cheered, brought signs and music, and even had a few water stations!! CBR and BC I saw reported that the recreation CMs cranked up the pool speakers with music to help the runners along.

Nice work to all who ran!

That's a nice touch! Hats off to Disney (and the spectators) for adding that additional "magic" to those runners. There were a scarce few at Bay Lake Tower who cheered from the room balconies to cheer on those that took to the parking lot. I saw a running group come in from the parking lot, past the tennis courts, and behind Bay Lake Tower and I yelled down, "Come guys! Step it up!! 13.1 more miles to go!" I think the response was, "Piece of cake...."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom