Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Robyyn

Hi everyone! I'm Robyn and I will be running in the marathon come January ! I have signed up for the Goofy Challenge and have been thinking on and off about if I'm going to be able to do it. Does anyone know if I decide not to run the half if I'll still be able to run the full marathon? If anyone could help me out with this that would be awesome! I haven't decided either way but I just want to know if it would be an option. Thank you!

dreamfinder

Hi everyone! I'm Robyn and I will be running in the marathon come January ! I have signed up for the Goofy Challenge and have been thinking on and off about if I'm going to be able to do it. Does anyone know if I decide not to run the half if I'll still be able to run the full marathon? If anyone could help me out with this that would be awesome! I haven't decided either way but I just want to know if it would be an option. Thank you!

As long as you check in and get your bib, you can run/not run any portion of the event. They only check to make sure that you completed all the events if you try to claim the challenge medal.

dreamfinder

Surprises me that the 10k seems to sell out faster than the 5k's.

Eh, well just remember that recent races a large chunk of the 10k bibs are allocated to challenge runners. I think for Jan it's been something about 75% of the 10k bibs go to Dopey. Since the half weekends don't have a challenge that covers the 5k, there ends up being like 2,500 10k bibs vs 10,000 5k bibs that need to be sold.

johnl

You can do either race separately and receive the medal for that race. You just would not get the challenge (Goofy) medal.

dreamfinder

Updated sell outs
  • Dopey Challenge (Sold Out 8/15/2016 Reopened 8/30/2016 Sold Out 9/7/2016 Reopened 9/13/2016)
  • Goofy Race and a Half Challenge (Sold Out & Reopened 9/1/2016)
  • Marathon
  • Half Marathon - Sold Out 4/27/2016, #racedirectorchallenge Sold Out 11/9/2016
  • 10k - Sold Out 4/26/2016
  • 5k - Sold Out 4/26/2016
  • Kids Races - Thur 1/5 Dashes Sold Out 11/9/2016 Fri 1/6 1M Sold Out 11/9/2016 Sat 1/7 1 M Sold Out 9/13/2016 Others still open
  • Castaway Cay Challenge
  • Runners World VIP

wdwjmp239

11/20/16:

I finished my 2nd half marathon in Naples, Florida this morning (Naples Fall Classic Half Marathon) in just a touch over 3 hours. I beat my last half marathon time in October by 20 minutes! I'm pleased! The training is working! The Galloway Run/Walk method works for long distance runs. I was actually surprised at how many people I passed up on the course who were in front of me using the Run/Walk method. But then again, I'm not out there racing against them. I was running my own race. If you keep that in the back of your mind as you're trekking through the Disney marathon course in January....you'll finish. Run your own race. Do your own thing. But....just remember....to keep those "balloon ladies" well behind you. :)

See everyone on the course in 44 days! Let's do this craziness! :) :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::):D

Texas84

11/20/16:

I finished my 2nd half marathon in Naples, Florida this morning (Naples Fall Classic Half Marathon) in just a touch over 3 hours. I beat my last half marathon time in October by 20 minutes! I'm pleased! The training is working! The Galloway Run/Walk method works for long distance runs. I was actually surprised at how many people I passed up on the course who were in front of me using the Run/Walk method. But then again, I'm not out there racing against them. I was running my own race. If you keep that in the back of your mind as you're trekking through the Disney marathon course in January....you'll finish. Run your own race. Do your own thing. But....just remember....to keep those "balloon ladies" well behind you. :)

See everyone on the course in 44 days! Let's do this craziness! :) :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::):D

Congrats! Now go beat that 3 hour mark. :)

Greenlawler

11/20/16:

When I read this I thought I read you beat your full marathon time of a touch over three hours and I was like.... whoah.

Still major accomplishment! Congrats.

32 days away people.

wdwjmp239

When I read this I thought I read you beat your full marathon time of a touch over three hours and I was like.... whoah.

Still major accomplishment! Congrats.

32 days away people.

I wish I could run a marathon in a touch over three hours. I'm just looking to complete the marathon, hopefully in one piece, and call it a day! LOL!!

Yep!! 32 days away!

Greenlawler

I wish I could run a marathon in a touch over three hours. I'm just looking to complete the marathon, hopefully in one piece, and call it a day! LOL!!

Yep!! 32 days away!

If you can do a 3 hour half you can do a full! Time? Who cares? You can do the pace requirement. In fact if you did a 3 hour first half you could probably brisk walk the last half and be fine.

My first race ever was a full, it took me five and a half hours but I have never ever felt anything like that.....the feeling of accomplishment was off the charts. Honestly I almost cried.

9 years later I am still chasing that feeling.

wdwjmp239

If you can do a 3 hour half you can do a full! Time? Who cares? You can do the pace requirement. In fact if you did a 3 hour first half you could probably brisk walk the last half and be fine.

My first race ever was a full, it took me five and a half hours but I have never ever felt anything like that.....the feeling of accomplishment was off the charts. Honestly I almost cried.

9 years later I am still chasing that feeling.

When I completed my first two half marathons - it was a rush. So, I can only imagine that feeling is going to be like when I cross the finish line at Disney. The only reason why I'm actually enjoying the running is because of the weight loss I'm experiencing. When I started working out - I was 240 pounds. Then, I start road cycling and dropped to 207 pounds. Once I started running, I dropped to 193 pounds. So, I lost some crazy weight! LOL!

wdwjmp239

So, my worst nightmare finally happened. This weekend was supposed to be the weekend of my 20 mile long run and what happens? I come down with the flu. The doctor has grounded me from doing anything that could make this worse. The only thing I'm worried about is that when I start up my training again and I re-lapse. Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advise? It's getting too close to WDW marathon weekend. :(

kevlightyear

So, my worst nightmare finally happened. This weekend was supposed to be the weekend of my 20 mile long run and what happens? I come down with the flu. The doctor has grounded me from doing anything that could make this worse. The only thing I'm worried about is that when I start up my training again and I re-lapse. Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advise? It's getting too close to WDW marathon weekend. :(

Not the end of the world, don't despair. When I was training for my first marathon I injured my knee and was worried it would set me back a lot. I forced myself to miss some runs so that it could heal, and it ended up being fine. My (completely unprofessional) advice would be to skip a few runs so that you can get healthy faster. Then get back out there when you feel strong. If anything, you could go on walks to keep your legs moving and get some fresh air. You still have time to get that long run in. Even if you don't get all of your runs in before the race, you've done the work you need to finish. You can do this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom