Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Skippy

I just remembered, there's a kiosk in the center square where they sell tickets and have will call for pasta in the park (it's listed on the pamphlet). It had a scrolling marquee advertising that it was selling park tickets last year..

DocAlan02

Getting very worried about Sunday's weather for the marathon. I was already concerned that it was looking like it would be a bit too warm. Now it also looks humid, windy, and possibly rainy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Ugh.

Texas84

Looks like scattered storms for Sunday, hopefully the usual afternoon Florida variety. Chance of rain Friday morning. Cross your fingers.

Not too worried about the temps. I've been training in this. :)

DocAlan02

Looks like scattered storms for Sunday, hopefully the usual afternoon Florida variety. Chance of rain Friday morning. Cross your fingers.

Not too worried about the temps. I've been training in this. :)

The forecasts I have seen suggest the rain/storms would be in the morning. But there is still time for it to change.
As far as the temps, I run year-round, so I have also run in plenty of heat. But for 26.2 miles, I would much prefer cooler temps and low humidity. I am trying to take almost 10 minutes off my last marathon time....we'll see.

lukacseven

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet as the first part of the leak for the 2016 runDisney New Balance shoes -> https://twitter.com/NBRunning/status/677906909182185472

Last one seems to pretty much be guaranteed to be Ariel, first two are up in the air, but the feather seems to be leaning towards Dumbo or Malificent and the bow may be Tuxedo Mickey?

Twitter video posted by @newbalance of the new Disney shoes.

atrus79

Getting very worried about Sunday's weather for the marathon. I was already concerned that it was looking like it would be a bit too warm. Now it also looks humid, windy, and possibly rainy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Ugh.

While cooler last year, the weather for the Marathon was a bit of everything. We started out with a cool morning around 50º ... temperatures warmed up, but by the time I was coming out of AK I saw storm clouds coming and as I hit the entrance to ESPN WWS it started raining and it rained at least 30-60 minutes. After the rain, while on the way to DHS, it got warm and muggy ... people started slowing down and some runners went down in front of me due to lack of fuel/water ... also the roads were slippery. After making our way through DHS, the moment we hit the path to Epcot, a downpour started ... hard rain to the point that I had to keep my head down to see and the bridge over by the Swan and Dolphin was treacherous! After getting though the world showcase it stopped raining and when I hit the finish we were warned by the announcer not to run it through because it was slippery.

All of this said ... it didn't really bother me too much and the rain/wind actually helped cool me off. The only thing that was bad was when it got muggy and humid after the first rain burst ... I forced myself to run through that. Make sure you have good shoes/socks that are comfortable and take advantage of each and every fuel opportunity as well as water. The surprise treats while entering DHS hit the spot! :)

Good Luck on Sunday ... wish I was back running it this year too!

DocAlan02

While cooler last year, the weather for the Marathon was a bit of everything. We started out with a cool morning around 50º ... temperatures warmed up, but by the time I was coming out of AK I saw storm clouds coming and as I hit the entrance to ESPN WWS it started raining and it rained at least 30-60 minutes. After the rain, while on the way to DHS, it got warm and muggy ... people started slowing down and some runners went down in front of me due to lack of fuel/water ... also the roads were slippery. After making our way through DHS, the moment we hit the path to Epcot, a downpour started ... hard rain to the point that I had to keep my head down to see and the bridge over by the Swan and Dolphin was treacherous! After getting though the world showcase it stopped raining and when I hit the finish we were warned by the announcer not to run it through because it was slippery.

All of this said ... it didn't really bother me too much and the rain/wind actually helped cool me off. The only thing that was bad was when it got muggy and humid after the first rain burst ... I forced myself to run through that. Make sure you have good shoes/socks that are comfortable and take advantage of each and every fuel opportunity as well as water. The surprise treats while entering DHS hit the spot! :)

Good Luck on Sunday ... wish I was back running it this year too!

Thanks! I run in the rain quite often and am not overly concerned about myself, although when running 26.2 miles I'd obviously prefer nice, cool weather. I am concerned about the humidity, which certainly saps my endurance on a long run, and also about my family who will be watching.

Furiated

Just a note for people like @Texas84 that had their Proof of Time lost, I went to Runner Relations and they gave me the corral sticker for my proper corral with no problem, the lady was super nice about it. All I had was a printout of my PoT results from the race I wanted to use. I didn't have the screen of my original submission. I know there were a couple people on here that needed PoT corrections. They say they won't do them at the expo but they did for me.

JillC LI

Looking forward to reading everyone's race reports this weekend. Good luck to all runners, especially you Dopeys! Have a Dole Whip Float for me when it's all over. :p

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Curious how the corrals are decided? My husband is doing the Dopey and he is in the next to last corral for each race. He submitted his time of 10 minutes a mile and he was finishing with corral B today and he is in E. He said there were people who walked the whole way with 3 and 4 year olds in the corrals ahead of him yesterday. Does everyone just lie about how fast the go or is their a weird system?

Mad Stitch

Curious how the corrals are decided? My husband is doing the Dopey and he is in the next to last corral for each race. He submitted his time of 10 minutes a mile and he was finishing with corral B today and he is in E. He said there were people who walked the whole way with 3 and 4 year olds in the corrals ahead of him yesterday. Does everyone just lie about how fast the go or is their a weird system?
I wouldn't be surprised to hear about Dopey runners walking the 5k and 10k. They are probably conserving their energy for the longer races. Also, the B bibs may have moved back to run with family in the smaller races.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We did figure out my husband was put in the wrong corral this morning. He should have been in 2:15 but was in 3:30. They also messed up my kids' Races and we had a hard time fixing it. Somehow they made numbers for my daughter twice and none for my son. Even though we had the confirmations with the correct info. We had to physically take our kids down and show them we had two different kids.

yensidtlaw1969

A formal Proof of Time has to be submitted when registering for a race. Basically, you have to run your first official race starting from the back corral, knowing that for the next race you can then present your time from the first race to prove that you're not making up how fast you go.

Last year I ran the WDW Marathon, which was my first official race despite being a long distance runner for almost a decade. This year I was able to use my proven time from last year's race to end up in an earlier corral, which in turn helped me cut my race time down further since I was in a group of people who run at roughly my own speed. All of this is to say, you can't just lie about how fast you go, there's a process to prove you're not making up your run time.

Texas84

The whole process is a mess. I met an Ironman finisher who was placed in J and didn't know why. Spoke to two Army guys who got stuck in O with me and didn't get a correction. They tried to sneak into K and got caught and sent back to O. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom