Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

JasonDeyoung

Won't be attending marathon weekend 2016 :( had an amazing time this year though. Good luck to all the runners 5k thru full marathon. Hopefully I'll bump into some of you at wine & dine half in November!

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 72%
  • Dopey Challenge presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Runner's World Challenge - SOLD OUT
  • Goofy's Race and Half Challenge presented by Cigna® - 99%
  • Walt Disney World® Half Marathon presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Walt Disney World® 10K presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Walt Disney World® 5K presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Castaway Cay Challenge - 50%
  • Family Reunion Breakfast - 51%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
  • runDisney Kids Races - 72%

dreamfinder

When do you think the travel options tab will switch over to Travel for the 2016 events? I keep checking it and it's still 2015.

Not until they release the 2016 room rates. Usually July/August. The savings for booking through runDisney are usually pretty minimal, 5-10%. They do handle those like a package (even if you book room only) so are subject to the same cancellation and change policies.

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 72%
  • Goofy's Race and Half Challenge presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Castaway Cay Challenge - 50%
  • Family Reunion Breakfast - 51%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
  • runDisney Kids Races - 72%
And another one bites the dust....

JasonDeyoung

Oh yeah? Cool.Could you elaborate? We are considering staying at AKL for race weekend too, but I was a little concerned about transportation.
The bus pick up is right outside the lobby of Jambo house. Never had to wait very long for a shuttle. They had signs set up in the lobby directing you to the bus pick up. I stayed there for Everest last year and marathon weekend this past January and both times were great. It is a little bit of a ride to Epcot for the race but it is really close to wwos for the expo. I'd stay there again race weekend in a heart beat

LindsayLoves

@Texas84 - I stayed at Kidani this year for Dopey and it was great. We had one hiccup with getting buses sent down our way I believe for the 5k, and after the 5k I think 6 buses showed up for All Stars before 1 came for AKL :arghh:. After that it was issue free. I will say having a nice tranquil place to stay was a nice break from the parks and the insanity of the races.

dreamfinder

Oh yeah? Cool.Could you elaborate? We are considering staying at AKL for race weekend too, but I was a little concerned about transportation.

All the race transportation operates outside of the normal WDW bus system, and usually works pretty darn well. I've had times where the buses went from Jambo to Kidani, but I've also had times where the buses went straight from Jambo or Kidani to their destination. Never really figured out a rhyme or reason to it. Only time I've had problems is when there is a massive backlog of buses trying to get to the finish area to do pickups and it takes a while for the "right" bus to make it in.

Texas84

@Texas84 - I stayed at Kidani this year for Dopey and it was great. We had one hiccup with getting buses sent down our way I believe for the 5k, and after the 5k I think 6 buses showed up for All Stars before 1 came for AKL :arghh:. After that it was issue free. I will say having a nice tranquil place to stay was a nice break from the parks and the insanity of the races.

I saw the long line for AKL after the 5K and the cheering when a bus finally showed up. I was at All Stars and our line was long but it moved fast. :D

lukacseven

I stayed at Kidani, too. Was in the A corral for the 5K and I was in line for the bus when the sweepers were just starting to go through the portion of the course where the bus pick-up was. Of course, it was the coldest day of the week and I decided to skip bag check. No issues for any of the other races and if it were warmer, I wouldn't have cared at all. We also had a minor issue going to either the half or full (don't remember which) where the bus driver pulled over and fell asleep and was late for the pick up. This was the 5th year staying at Kidani and I love it. Quiet and low-key. It's also nice that the walkways to the rooms are indoors, in case of weather issues, you aren't walking/standing outside.

DocAlan02

When I did the marathon in 2013, we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. I personally had no transportation problems. My family had a bit of an issue getting to the spots where they wanted to see me, but I imagine that would have happened regardless of where they were coming from. With the AKL, I am a little concerned about how far out it is...not just for the race, but for everything. Never stayed out there, and it just seems so far.

dreamfinder

When I did the marathon in 2013, we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. I personally had no transportation problems. My family had a bit of an issue getting to the spots where they wanted to see me, but I imagine that would have happened regardless of where they were coming from. With the AKL, I am a little concerned about how far out it is...not just for the race, but for everything. Never stayed out there, and it just seems so far.

It's really not that bad. Everyone makes it out to be much worse than it really is. Unofficial guide did a breakdown on average transportation times, and if I recall the numbers even close to correctly, if you visited each park once, AKL would only require like 5 more mins total on the buses over the 4 days than say POFQ. Now if you were going to spend 6 out of 7 trip days at MK, then it may end up being significantly higher than that since that is the longest trip, but if you spread your visits fairly evenly then it's not that bad.

dreamfinder

I am a bit shocked that it has been 3 weeks since there was any change to the percentages. Either the web team has forgotten to update, or registration has slowed to a standstill. Especially since yesterday kicked it up to the 3rd pricing tier. (Posting these mostly for posterity)

Entry Fees and Deadlines

Dopey Challenge presented by Cigna®
  • $550 by May 19, 2015
  • $580 between May 20, 2015 and June 9, 2015
  • $610 on or after June 10, 2015
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge presented by Cigna®
  • $360 by May 19, 2015
  • $380 between May 20, 2015 and June 9, 2015
  • $400 on or after June 10, 2015
Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna®
  • $175 by May 19, 2015
  • $190 between May 20, 2015 and June 9, 2015
  • $205 on or after June 10, 2015
Walt Disney World® Half Marathon presented by Cigna®
  • $175 by May 19, 2015
  • $190 between May 20, 2015 and June 9, 2015
  • $205 on or after June 10, 2015
Walt Disney World® 10K presented by Cigna®
  • $110 by May 19, 2015
  • $125 between May 20, 2015 and June 9, 2015
  • $140 on or after June 10, 2015
Walt Disney World® 5K presented by Cigna®
  • $65 per participant by June 9, 2015
  • $75 on or after June 10, 2015
runDisney Kids Races
  • $15 per child by June 9, 2015
  • $20 on or after June 10, 2015
One Mile Run
  • $30 per child by June 9, 2015
  • $35 on or after June 10, 2015
Disney Castaway Cay Challenge
  • $70*

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 78%
  • Castaway Cay Challenge - 56%
  • Family Reunion Breakfast - 56%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
  • runDisney Kids Races - 76%
Small changes only.

imagination30

it looks like we will have more parkinglot to run though before we reach the ticket and trasporttation center... we will see how it goes!!, maybe they can put more characters out there .. bc all they had out there ws launch pad!

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 80%
  • Castaway Cay Challenge - 58%
  • Family Reunion Breakfast - 56%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
  • runDisney Kids Races - 76%
Ever so slowly...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom