Walt Disney: One Man's Dream

deere839

Original Poster
the question is will Walt Disney: One Man's Dream and the Voyage of The Little Mermaid close
or when because that's the rumored entrance to Toy Story land in that area.

ToTBellHop

OMD was slated to close last fall. Shows how things can change...
If it is still planned to basically be an entrance to the land, it could be cleared late in the process. And with the land defying the odds and opening a full three years after it was announced (dear lord), they could easily keep it open til next summer. Shows how desperate they are for capacity.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If it is still planned to basically be an entrance to the land, it could be cleared late in the process. And with the land defying the odds and opening a full three years after it was announced (dear lord), they could easily keep it open til next summer. Shows how desperate they are for capacity.
Indeed. Ops are very very concerned about DHS park capacity both now and over the next few years. And considering I've been told over the last 3 years to expect Indy, LMA, BatB, Mermaid and OMD to all close at various times, I think they're playing it by ear now.

But the backlot tour closed 18 months ago. Surely TSL is nearly finished by now?

spectromagic04

Indeed. Ops are very very concerned about DHS park capacity both now and over the next few years. And considering I've been told over the last 3 years to expect Indy, LMA, BatB, Mermaid and OMD to all close at various times, I think they're playing it by ear now.

But the backlot tour closed 18 months ago. Surely TSL is nearly finished by now?
What are they doing with BatB?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If they are that concerned about capacity, I would think that would indicate SWL going in the LMA area. If it's going in Echo Lake as rumored that will require even more closings.

roj2323

@danlb_2000 i dont see them putting it way back there, the laydown space is pretty tight as it is... (how many truckloads does it take to move a rollercoaster anyway?)
You typically get two pieces of 40 ft track per truck and the track layout tells me it should be around 40 pieces so with track, the supports, trains and other large componets probably around 30 truck loads.

Rescue Ranger

Mermaid I'm not very concerned about, but Walt's only attraction, outside the statue, I am. Not that I care so much that it's closes, but if it does, I'd hope they would replace this attraction with something somewhere else on property. Even if it's a small museum in Disney Springs.Or how about MK at the Town Square Exposition Hall?

doctornick

If they are that concerned about capacity, I would think that would indicate SWL going in the LMA area. If it's going in Echo Lake as rumored that will require even more closings.

There's other things they can do to increase capacity though: a daytime show in the Fantasmic! theater, for example, has been rumored. Putting some permanent stuff in the Flex theater is another.

Of course, getting TSL open ASAP would make closing down stuff in Echo Lake (really just Indy and I guess the Star Wars clip thing in Sounds Dangerous) much easier to do.

Also, on the main topic of this thread -- have we ever established whether VOTLM is staying or not? As I recall, there was quite a bit of disagreement among insiders as to whether it was going to go away or not for the entrance for TSL (some say only OMD would be torn down, others say both OMD and VOTLM). If VOTLM is staying, I believe it is supposed to get a new show/theme.

Herbie

In regards to One Man's Dream, I love Walt, and he should be honored somewhere in the world (technically already is), but in regards to DHS, I'd prefer a museum/prop showcase (mini Treasures of the Disney Archives) related to the creation & history of the park, its output & feature animation, and the studio's own classic, primarily unacquired, property.

Jon81uk

Of course, getting TSL open ASAP would make closing down stuff in Echo Lake (really just Indy and I guess the Star Wars clip thing in Sounds Dangerous) much easier to do.
I also think they are waiting for the arena at Wide World of Sports to open before they can close Indiana Jones. Some people said its booked up with cheer competitions for years so they need somewhere to move them. But once Indy does close that is a big loss of capacity to the park. I assume they have plans for something in the Flex space or the Fantasmic amphitheatre as a filler.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom