Walt Disney Imagineering move Scott Trowbridge to a new dedicated Star Wars Studio at WDI

Captain Neo

Is anything Pixar coming to HS? Or will it always be a half a** land?

I think the Pixar projects went out the door the moment Disney acquired Lucasfilm and Marvel. They finally have the big boys on their team to compete with Universal they don't need to rely on Pixar for success anymore (doesn't help the argument that Pixar's recent out put has been less than stellar). Hasn't anyone wondered why Lasseter is no longer really brought up in regards to the parks and WDI? Remember all that big hoopla back in '06 about him becoming the top dog overseeing the parks and being "the next Walt Disney"?

MarkTwain

They have been doing blue sky work since Disney bought the company. The pace picked up after the script was reworked for the new film. ... I am not sure of this, but my strong hunch is that things could be approved tomorrow if they wanted. But I think they are holding off ... part of that may be because of removing guest faves at DL, part may be a desire to push the spending off, part may be they are trying to foist development costs on either others (OLC and Euro Disney). It could be a bit of all three and other things too!

Uh-oh :confused:

Sounds like it's going to be more than Innoventions leaving then. So unless you count Captain EO as a guest favorite (I wouldn't but it certainly has it fans), that makes me wonder what else is going - maybe the submarines after all?

I heard a rumor from a reliable source that the Peoplemover tracks will be torn down and not replaced. So while there wouldn't a loss of a current attraction there, there would definitely be a LOT of fans upset about the lost opportunity and another piece of the '67 Tomorrowland gone.

Last edited:

Kman101

I agree that hoping for anything Pixar seems less and less likely. How stupid they were not to actually go through with the expansion. Not saying they still won't, as DHS can't use Marvel in it's park, and Star Wars Land, as great as it COULD be, shouldn't be the only thing DHS gets. IMO. Especially if it's just retail, a show and dining. There needs to be at least a ride. They also badly (as everyone states on a regular basis here) need another family friendly ride to take the heat off of Toy Story Mania.

If they actually went through with the MI coaster (or just copy one of the two dark rides), gee it could have been open last year with the film, or even this year for the anniversary, but noooo ... LOL. Didn't they even start minor minor work inside that soundstage years back after TSM opened? I seem to recall that. And then Cars Land was pretty much greenlit for DHS in 2012 (or 2013, I can't remember, we hear so much LOL) and then cancelled (or "put on hold"). I just don't get why they are so hesitant to do anything.

BigThunderMatt

Even Wizarding World of Harry Potter didn't open until 3-4 years after the announcement was made and Universal is considered the fast one.

To their credit though, they started construction on, and were halfway done with, Diagon Alley before announcing it. The problem with announcing things so far out is that it really emphasizes the lack of anything to show for it until serious construction begins 2-3 years down the road.

BigThunderMatt

Didn't they even start minor minor work inside that soundstage years back after TSM opened?

Are you referring to Soundstage 1? As far as I'm aware they were using it as a MM+ testing facility and have been for some time. Back before MM+ launched you couldn't so much as sneeze by that building without security looking at you like you were a terrorist.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that hoping for anything Pixar seems less and less likely. How stupid they were not to actually go through with the expansion. Not saying they still won't, as DHS can't use Marvel in it's park, and Star Wars Land, as great as it COULD be, shouldn't be the only thing DHS gets. IMO. Especially if it's just retail, a show and dining. There needs to be at least a ride. They also badly (as everyone states on a regular basis here) need another family friendly ride to take the heat off of Toy Story Mania.

If they actually went through with the MI coaster (or just copy one of the two dark rides), gee it could have been open last year with the film, or even this year for the anniversary, but noooo ... LOL. Didn't they even start minor minor work inside that soundstage years back after TSM opened? I seem to recall that. And then Cars Land was pretty much greenlit for DHS in 2012 (or 2013, I can't remember, we hear so much LOL) and then cancelled (or "put on hold"). I just don't get why they are so hesitant to do anything.
I think they probably could still go with a few clone type attractions or even simple spinners to fill out Pixar Place. If StarWarsLand eventually results in Indy Stunt Show closing and maybe some other attractions it would make sense to have a few "new" things for guests to do. DHS is gonna be hurting worse than it already is during the 3-5 years of construction. Cloning the monsters dark ride from DCA and adding a Pixar based spinner would at least add 2 new family friendly rides and should be both cheap and relatively fast. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, just that it makes sense and is probably more likely than the full Carsland or a major Pixar expansion including new rides like the doors coaster.

flyerjab

To me, to see the type of success that WDW can expect if a Star Wars Land were to be opened (and themed with incredible rides/experiences) at DHS, all they need to do is look at that photo of the legions of fans that showed up for opening day for the WWOHP. It was a fantasy property that was one of (if not the) hottest stories at the time, that people from everywhere were reading and eagerly anticipating the next chapter. That aerial photograph of guests lined all the way back through the park is staggering, and I am certain that all Burbank saw was a long, endless line of dollar signs.

It is in my opinion that you would see the exact same type of reaction from fans around the world if DHS were to debut a Star Wars Land. There is a fan base for Star Wars that has been cultivated since the 1970s, far longer than the Potter Series has been around. It is something that has become part of our culture to a degree and I think that the response to this type of experience in a park would be even greater than what UNI saw with Potter.

It's just a matter of time to me before this becomes a reality. Then WDW will have what they need to challenge UNI and the Potter Franchise (sorry, but I refuse to use the term Potter Swatter - I've always hated that).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To me, to see the type of success that WDW can expect if a Star Wars Land were to be opened (and themed with incredible rides/experiences) at DHS, all they need to do is look at that photo of the legions of fans that showed up for opening day for the WWOHP. It was a fantasy property that was one of (if not the) hottest stories at the time, that people from everywhere were reading and eagerly anticipating the next chapter. That aerial photograph of guests lined all the way back through the park is staggering, and I am certain that all Burbank saw was a long, endless line of dollar signs.

It is in my opinion that you would see the exact same type of reaction from fans around the world if DHS were to debut a Star Wars Land. There is a fan base for Star Wars that has been cultivated since the 1970s, far longer than the Potter Series has been around. It is something that has become part of our culture to a degree and I think that the response to this type of experience in a park would be even greater than what UNI saw with Potter.

It's just a matter of time to me before this becomes a reality. Then WDW will have what they need to challenge UNI and the Potter Franchise (sorry, but I refuse to use the term Potter Swatter - I've always hated that).
This^

Plus if they really pull off a full StarWarsLand at DHS it will take some heat off of MK. MK is so overcrowded most of the year and they desperately need the other parks to draw guests out. WDW has the hotel room capacity and the infrastructure to draw even larger crowds, but they need to even out guests between the 4 parks. MK will always be king, but in recent history both AK and DHS have been mostly living off that success due to multi-day passes.

I fully agree with you that Potter Swatter is a completely overused term. If done correctly StarWarsLand has the potential to draw lots of guests who will visit Orlando just to see the StarWars stuff. That's the biggest similarity to the Potter craze. However, Potter fans and theme park guests in general aren't all just going to forget about Uni because Star Wars exists. It's just silly to think that. The only true Potter Swatter would be if someone built an even better Harry Potter themed land that people would go to instead of Uni which is contractually not legal so it can never happen. Therefore there can never be a true Potter Swatter.

vinnya1726

Some have said that part of the reason for the delay in announcing plans for Star Wars in the parks is because they want to integrate worlds from the new films into it. So, WDI has had to wait for the movie folks to get some finalization of scripts and scene development before getting into the heart of their work.

Anyhow, I actually believe that we'll see something related to Star Wars in WDW in the nearer future (say, 2016-17 timefame) but it would be something smaller like converting Backlot Express into a Mos Eisley cantina.

Which is why I think they are trying out these dinning packages this year during SWW. We will see a Cantina in the future with Character Dinning. Just makes too much sense, especially see how fast the reservations at SWW character dinning have gone.

flyerjab

This^

Plus if they really pull off a full StarWarsLand at DHS it will take some heat off of MK. MK is so overcrowded most of the year and they desperately need the other parks to draw guests out. WDW has the hotel room capacity and the infrastructure to draw even larger crowds, but they need to even out guests between the 4 parks. MK will always be king, but in recent history both AK and DHS have been mostly living off that success due to multi-day passes.

I fully agree with you that Potter Swatter is a completely overused term. If done correctly StarWarsLand has the potential to draw lots of guests who will visit Orlando just to see the StarWars stuff. That's the biggest similarity to the Potter craze. However, Potter fans and theme park guests in general aren't all just going to forget about Uni because Star Wars exists. It's just silly to think that. The only true Potter Swatter would be if someone built an even better Harry Potter themed land that people would go to instead of Uni which is contractually not legal so it can never happen. Therefore there can never be a true Potter Swatter.

Great post, and I agree with everything you stated.

If I were involved with WDW/WDI/Burbank in some position of authority, I would have posters of that WWOHP opening day crowd photo in every imagineer's cube and every executive's office. I would have photoshopped in the in simple mission statement 'Top That'. And with the Star Wars property, I believe that you could.

jt04

You talking out of your hoop
You still not visiting parks
You still posting in clichés
You unlike a broken clock still not even correct once a day/year

They weren't clichés until I put them in circulation. Of course eventually they will be called 'truth' around here.

Good to hear from you though.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I would agree with that timeline. If anything, I think you are erring on the liberal side. Any major Star Wars project is going to be 48-60 months from announcement to opening based on WDI/WDW's past track record. I would guess that in order to make a 2018 opening, they'd have to start prep work by this fall/start of new fiscal year.

And just to be clear, I am not saying that Star Wars product won't be coming to WDW. I have said it will be for over a year now. ... I just don't see anything substantial coming (that means beyond new retail, dining maybe, even possibly some new live show) before 2018.
The one thing we can factor into this timeline is that the first "announcement" was in August when they had the teaser at D23. I don't see that as much different as the "Avatar is coming... eventually" announcement in September 2011. Having said that, we're looking at 2017 for Avatar and that still means 2019 for Star Wars.

RSoxNo1

I think the Pixar projects went out the door the moment Disney acquired Lucasfilm and Marvel. They finally have the big boys on their team to compete with Universal they don't need to rely on Pixar for success anymore (doesn't help the argument that Pixar's recent out put has been less than stellar). Hasn't anyone wondered why Lasseter is no longer really brought up in regards to the parks and WDI? Remember all that big hoopla back in '06 about him becoming the top dog overseeing the parks and being "the next Walt Disney"?
I don't buy it, right now there are a wealth of properties that could be used to reshape Hollywood Studios. I full expect Pixar to be a large part of that park's future.

jt04

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but China has nothing to do with what happens at WDW.

Not directly but WDI has limited resources and obviously most of those were focused on China a couple years ago and now more of those resources are at WDW. Takes time for the process to work.

michmousefan

As Disney can't do much of anything in the WDW parks with the Marvel characters, it seems to me that Florida is the place to make a bigger splash with Star Wars than Anaheim... DLR can have a balance of Marvel and Lucasfilm; Florida can't. That's why I expect that the true super headliner SW "land" and/or "environment" will be built at DHS. Sure, Disneyland's Tomorrowland might get the first attractions, but the space and the business case for the major SW effort is in Florida. Now all someone at Disney has to do is convince the money people to open up the purse strings. Where is Lasseter on all of this SW stuff? Is he an advocate?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The weren't clichés until I put them in circulation. Of course eventually they will be called 'truth' around here.

Good to hear from you though.

A thought not reciprocated.
Im surprised that you still are a stranger to the parks, an enlarged Fantasyland should be right up your street.

jt04

A thought not reciprocated.
Im surprised that you still are a stranger to the parks, an enlarged Fantasyland should be right up your street.

If you would like to send me some of your spare riches I'd definitely consider a vacation.

BTW, don't quit your day job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom