Walt Disney Imagineering move Scott Trowbridge to a new dedicated Star Wars Studio at WDI

Captain Neo

Hah- the whole exchange with Neo is pretty funny. Not that we all don't say things that make us look either brilliant or idiotic later, but this is why I try to never make absolute definitive arguments about the unknown as if it's a certainty. The internet never forgets. This is my favorite rebuttal he has. :D

(PS- @articos was right)

He was not. I clearly said we will not see any star wars land until 2020 or beyond. I also said two years from 2014 there would be no Star Wars land. I said it in a sensational manner sure but the point still stands.

AEfx

George is going to pay for the whole thing himself. The issue at the Presidio was more political than financial due to some high society types and the Trust who didn't approve of a "Star Wars Museum" being built at the Presidio. (Putting aside this museum will be primarily devoted Illustration, Animation, and Cinematic arts) Aside from his wife Mellody, Chicago appealed to George because Mayor Rahm Emanuel had promised to cut through all the red tape to get the museum built. An advocacy group has put the project into litigation for the past six months, so we'll see if it even gets built there.

Interesting. As to "financial incentives" - I wasn't talking investors, but simply incentives - cutting through red tape, for example, saves a lot of money. It's why some states suddenly become hot filming locations - because they are willing to bend over backwards to get the business.

I'm surprised there is opposition to it,but to be honest...after Uncle George (and several other high profile men who supposedly care about cinematic history) refused to help Debbie Reynolds get her museum project underway when she needed such a piddling amount comparatively, I can't say I wish this project terribly well.

doctornick

He was not. I clearly said we will not see any star wars land until 2020 or beyond. I also said two years from 2014 there would be no Star Wars land. I said it in a sensational manner sure but the point still stands.

This is what you said:

Who said anything about DHS? There are absolutely no plans under consideration right now that would make "half of DHS a construction site". The only Star Wars projects under consideration are for the Disneylands in California, Japan, Paris, and Shanghai with a vague plan to import some of the more inexpensive stuff to WDW sometime in the far future (2020 or possibly beyond). New Fantasyland, my magic+, and Avatar Land are the big investments for WDW for this decade.

FigmentJedi

There is a reason that stuff goes where it does - mainly east/west coast - because that's where the population is, that's where the travel is. Sure, there are some fans who will assuredly go to Chicago just to see the museum, but people don't generally go on "vacation" to Chicago. It's some place you generally travel if you have a business need.

It's not that Chicago is a bad place, it's just that far, far more folks would have visited it in Southern California, for example, than will ever see it in Chicago. I haven't followed it too closely, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that they only reason it landed there was because of financial incentives they were willing to offer - which is great to reduce start up costs but really won't help it's long term prospects.
Chicago's got plenty going for it as far as tourism appeal and Lucas Museum would enhance that appeal more and maybe decrease the number of "Waah, I don't want to go into flyover country" babies you got on the coasts.

AEfx

Chicago's got plenty going for it as far as tourism appeal and Lucas Museum would enhance that appeal more and maybe decrease the number of "Waah, I don't want to go into flyover country" babies you got on the coasts.

ROFL.

Someone is a bit oversensitive. It's nothing to do with being a "baby" but a value proposition. I'm sure if I had to spend a week in Chicago I could find stuff to do (I'm good like that), but it's simply not a tourist destination for the greater population nor one someone is going to choose to spend city prices to stay a week in. Like I said, I'm sure mega-fanbois will come just for the Lucas thing, but that's a fraction of the overall public that would go. Everyone normal will be going to Disneyland and WDW instead once Star Wars land opens to get their fix. :)

In terms of tourism, Chicago is a regional attraction. People don't fly in from other countries to go on vacation to...Chicago. Chicago is a business location first and foremost, and second is a mecca to those who live in the surrounding states because it's the only major city within the distance of a tank of gas.

Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, but the fact remains - far more folks would be attending this museum if it were in a more logical location.

andysol

You said a singular broad thing that was correct. WDW will have Star Wars sometime after 2020. Wow. What a bold prediction.
I said everyone says something they shouldn't have eventually (or they just haven't posted enough). You are clearly a person who can never be wrong- it's ok- we all are sometimes. I normally wouldn't even respond, but here ya go- in context. I'll bold the fun parts.

If they are just putting together a Star Wars project team now then we are at least 3-5 years from an announcement much less actual opening date for new rides, shows, lands and attractions
Wrong

5 years? A bit of an exaggeration.

Oh really? Avatar was announced in 2011 it's 2014 and work has barely just begun for a vague 2017 opening. Cars Land plans were finalized in 2006, announced in 2007 and did not open until Summer 2012.

Even Wizarding World of Harry Potter didn't open until 3-4 years after the announcement was made and Universal is considered the fast one.

If they are only recently putting the team together it's going to take them time to blue sky, show projects to the leadership team, get approved, and then go through pre-production. All of that needs to happen before an announcement is given unless they are just going to repeat the Avatar fiasco by making a vague announcement and then going 2 years of no information while all kinds of misinformation about the project being cancelled and internal conflict fills up the internet.

Who said anything about DHS? There are absolutely no plans under consideration right now that would make "half of DHS a construction site". The only Star Wars projects under consideration are for the Disneylands in California, Japan, Paris, and Shanghai with a vague plan to import some of the more inexpensive stuff to WDW sometime in the far future (2020 or possibly beyond). New Fantasyland, my magic+, and Avatar Land are the big investments for WDW for this decade.
Ehh- this whole thing is wrong. You said the only Star Wars projects under consideration are Cali (correct), Japan (not announced), Paris (not announced) and Shanghai (not announced). Vague plan to import inexpensive stuff to WDW is simply not true. Period. And lest we mention it was announced unlike Paris Japan and Shanghai. And it's a mirror of DL.

Not the case.
How could @articos be anymore right here? The plans were clearly under consideration and what you stated wasn't the case.

You can say that all you want but I have been around the block with Disney and I know who years from now will be proven right. Hint: It's not going to be you
Then you get all high and mighty, and are now proven wrong. Pick up your ball and go home.

Seriously, the thought to defend yourself is hilarious. A sane person would say "I clearly didn't know what I was thinking" and then insert a few emojis of smiles or whatever. But no, not someone who has to be right on the Internet to complete strangers... Think what that says about you. Of course, I'm sitting here trying to reason and lecture a person who clearly can't see themself realistically- so what does that say about me? We're obviously all screwed in the head. :)

Last edited:

Bolt

You said a singular broad thing that was correct. WDW will have Star Wars sometime after 2020. Wow. What a bold prediction.
I said everyone says something they shouldn't have eventually (or they just haven't posted enough). You are clearly a person who can never be wrong- it's ok- we all are sometimes. I normally wouldn't even respond, but here ya go- in context. I'll bold the fun parts.

Wrong

Ehh- this whole thing is wrong. You said the only Star Wars projects under consideration are Cali (correct), Japan (not announced), Paris (not announced) and Shanghai (not announced). Vague plan to import inexpensive stuff to WDW is simply not true. Period. And lest we mention it was announced unlike Paris Japan and Shanghai. And it's a mirror of DL.

How could @articos be anymore right here? The plans were clearly under consideration and what you stated wasn't the case.

Then you get all high and mighty, and are now proven wrong. Pick up your ball and go home.

Seriously, the thought to defend yourself is hilarious. A sane person would say "I clearly didn't know what I was thinking" and then insert a few emojis of smiles or whatever. But no, not someone who has to be right on the Internet to complete strangers... Think what that says about you. Of course, I'm sitting here trying to reason and lecture a person who clearly can't see themself realistically- so what does that say about me? We're obviously all screwed in the head. :)
Wait - why was I included in this.

PhotoDave219

colbertpopcorn.gif~c200

Captain Neo

Isn't it too soon for you to be making predictions or assertions? At least clean the egg yolk off.

How that a prediction it already happened? And this is something I actually do know for a fact because I started working at Disney in November of last year and we had numerous contractors come in to take a look backstage and were told it was for an expansion that would be announced at D23.

Castle Cake Apologist

ROFL.

Someone is a bit oversensitive. It's nothing to do with being a "baby" but a value proposition. I'm sure if I had to spend a week in Chicago I could find stuff to do (I'm good like that), but it's simply not a tourist destination for the greater population nor one someone is going to choose to spend city prices to stay a week in. Like I said, I'm sure mega-fanbois will come just for the Lucas thing, but that's a fraction of the overall public that would go. Everyone normal will be going to Disneyland and WDW instead once Star Wars land opens to get their fix. :)

In terms of tourism, Chicago is a regional attraction. People don't fly in from other countries to go on vacation to...Chicago. Chicago is a business location first and foremost, and second is a mecca to those who live in the surrounding states because it's the only major city within the distance of a tank of gas.

Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, but the fact remains - far more folks would be attending this museum if it were in a more logical location.

That's not even remotely true. There are plenty of major cities in the Midwest with plenty of things to do. Hell, Indianapolis (the 12th largest city in the country) is only 3 hours from Chicago.

I can't help but to laugh at your assertion that you'd have to "try" to find things to do in Chicago. Plenty of people go there as a tourist destination. You need several days just to see the major attractions. Just because it's not on a coast doesn't mean it's not worth visiting.

ChrisM

ROFL.

Chicago is the 9th most visited US destination among international tourists with something like 1.5 million international visitors annually (per the 2013 U.S. National Travel and Tourism Office numbers).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom