Walt An Anti-Semetic???

Woody13

Wilt Dasney said:
As for any connection between Walt and Hitler...it's false, at least from what we know of Walt's public persona. His studios were a big source of pro-war propaganda during WWII.

"Victory Through Air Power" was a celebration of the Allied cause; "Saludos Amigos" and "The Three Caballeros" were intended to promote good relations with South America (and perhaps expand the Alliance); and "Der Fuehrer's Face" featured images of Donald Duck walloping Hitler in the schnozz (or something to that effect).
However you need to also consider that Walt was a businessman first. European distribution of his films was very important to the cash flow of the company. Walt was not adverse to a lot of "goose stepping" if that's what it took to keep the money rolling in. While he was a very patriotic American, his company came first. Had Hitler won the war, Walt would have done his best to be a good Nazi. Remember, Walt was a very good actor too.

FantasmicFan

Original Poster
wedway71 said:
Very well said mom.I think alot of anti-semetism doesnt come from hatred but of misunderstanding of the jewish culture.Walt was raised in the midwest in the early part of the century and not alot of jews lived around farms so alot of anti-jewish feelings were from not knowing alot about them.Did walt ever use anti-semetic remarks in his lifetime?Maybe he did but I dont think he had a hatred towards jews.
I love Disney and I am jewish too.I am not cheap,and dont have a big nose,and a matter afact I have blonde hair and blue eyes and U would never in a million years think I was.
To this day i hear my share of jewish jokes or sayings.I was in wal-mart the other day in line and the guy in front of me told the cashier she "jewed him down".I laughed because life is too short to worry about little things like that but i did ask him how many jews he knew.He told me none but he just knows they are cheap because alot of his buddies say so.So there ya go.

I absolutly agree with you! I love Disney so much and Walt being anti-semetic or not would never stop being such a big fan. Yea I get my share of racist jokes too but I just play them up to them, one boy once told me to go back to my own country so I said 'pay for my ticket and I'd happily go!' which to a cerent degree is true, though I'd rather go to Florida!:) I was just wondering are the rumours true, or aren't they! Thanks to those you responed!

Halfling418

I did a research paper in my freshman year in college about the historically-related films that Walt did. I read book after book, biography after biography, and each one mentioned a bias that Walt had. He seemed to be somewhat anti-Semetic.

But think of the times, and his background...he grew up in the Midwest as a Protestant, thinking like this was engrained in his brain. Another reason he took out his anger on Jewish people was the simple fact that most, if not all of his competition in the film business was Jewish.

I remember a quote from him--someone was quitting to work for the competition, and Walt said something to the effect of "You go work for those Jews, where you belong" in a Yiddish voice. Also, in The Three Little Pigs, the wolf dresses up as a Rabbi and puts on a Yiddish accent at one point--some people considered that to be anti-Semetic. I also read that he didn't hire Jewish people, or African-Americans.

(I think someone asked if he was a Republican or Democrat--he was very very conservative.)

In the end, I concluded that he was a visionary and an inspiring individual. Of course he has flaws, and a handful of them, but that almost seems to add to his intrigue as a very complex person. Not to say he was sneaky--he was actually naive at times, and was taken advantage of, but to me, that only makes him more appealing. Most people like to look at him and think he was a simple, good ol' boy--but he was much more complicated than that.

boobis

being both a disney fan and Jewish I think that the allegations of Walt Disney being anti-semetic are false
when Disneyland opened Walt invited leaders of both Jewish and muslim faiths to the opening
walt could not have been a nazi if he was a pro america man that is an oxymoron

we should ask roy maybe he has all the answers
But I do not believe that walt disney could be something as bad as an anti semetic

mrtoad

I think that Mom is correct in the fact that he was a product of the era he grew up in. Many people are what they were taught to be, not because they chose to be that way. I think as each generation has passed people realize how wrong the world was in many ways and it will keep being that way as there is no perfect world.

Back the subject though. Last year a saw a comic/magazine for sale on eBay. It was a Disney produced mag that was sold in the UK I believe back in the 30s. I can't think of what it was called though. Anyway the item was going for major money (thousands) and in the auction it mentioned that a copy that was in worse shape had been sold by Sotheby’s auctions for around $50,000.

This issue was about Minnie and Mickey on a safari or something in Africa and they were attacked by cannibals. Mickey or Minnie said something like, "look out or watch out for the N-word (derogatory word for Negros).

So yes, Walt did create things that today would cause an outrage. But at the time it was the way the world was (sad as it may be).

wdwishes2005

mrtoad said:
This issue was about Minnie and Mickey on a safari or something in Africa and they were attacked by cannibals. Mickey or Minnie said something like, "look out or watch out for the N-word (derogatory word for Negros).
i am sorry, but the visual in my mind is hilarius, i cant even imagine mickey or minnie saying that... i am not racist just as an fyi.

mrtoad

wdwishes2005 said:
mrtoad said:
i am sorry, but the visual in my mind is hilarius, i cant even imagine mickey or minnie saying that... i am not racist just as an fyi.

I was a bit shocked myself...

angelfaerie52

He was a product of the time he was living in.

But watch old Mickey Mouse cartoons... or Song of the South...

In "The Three Little Pigs," the wolf dresses as "Jewish" peddler...

So, there are some examples... take it from there.

I took a class on Disney. My class decided he was both an anti-Semite and a racist...

wedway71

MiRi said:
Is it true that Walt was from Spaniard descent?

From what I read his family origional came from France(just like the Coneheads)-lol but seriously after France they migrated to Ireland than to Canada then to the US

KentB3

Walt's rumored Anti-Semitism was even referred to in DisneyWar. In the chapter about Michael Eisner's arrival as Disney CEO, someone at his initial meeting with Disney used the term "you people" to refer to Jews (Eisner is Jewish, BTW), as a reference to Disney's rumored Anti-Semitism.

BTW, the Sherman brothers (who wrote many of Disney's songs, including "It's a Small World", and "Great Big Beautiful Tommorrow" for Carousel of Progress) are Jewish, as far as I know, so I can't see any evidence of this there! :animwink:

wedway71

If he was ,he'd be spinning in his grave since there are alot of jewish people in upper mgt with Disney

a-Michael Eisner
b-Robert Iger
c-Matt Oumet
and some others too.

angelfaerie52

wedway71 said:
If he was ,he'd be spinning in his grave since there are alot of jewish people in upper mgt with Disney

a-Michael Eisner
b-Robert Iger
c-Matt Oumet
and some others too.

I think he'd be spinning in his grave about Eisner for other reasons, too....

TP2000

The Mom said:
"He gypped me." "Portugese Blue" "Ghetto Blaster" "Dutch Treat" "Indian Giver" The list goes on; and the majority of people who used these and similar terms would have been embarassed if they had been made aware of how insulting they are.

Um... what is offensive about "Dutch Treat"? I just used that term tonight at dinner. I won't really stop using that term as it's part of my vocabulary and I refuse to bow to the PC police, but I'm very curious why that is offensive to people. Anyone know?

TP2000

wedway71 said:

a-Michael Eisner
b-Robert Iger
c-Matt Oumet
and some others too.

Matt Ouimet is Jewish? Are you sure? I thought Ouimet was a French name.

The woman that replaced Matt Ouimet as the President of Disneyland was Jewish though; Cynthia Harriss. Not only is she Jewish, but she is also a Lesbian. I'm sure Walt and the old-timers back in the 50's would have really gasped over that one; a Lesbian Jew running Disneyland.

But now she works at The Gap, so she's out of the Disney family. In fact, Cynthia Harriss had an interview in a local Orange County, California business magazine last month where she pretty much slammed Disneyland and Disney, and proclaimed her new job at The Gap is "much more important than just Disney". She still has an expensive home here in OC in Laguna Beach, and she keeps a home up in San Francisco near Gap headquarters, but she's still active in the Laguna scene. It was a very snotty article, and you could tell she was still stinging a bit from being fired so suddenly and instantly replaced by Ouimet in late '03.

Woody13

TP2000 said:
Um... what is offensive about "Dutch Treat"? I just used that term tonight at dinner. I won't really stop using that term as it's part of my vocabulary and I refuse to bow to the PC police, but I'm very curious why that is offensive to people. Anyone know?
"Dutch Treat" is a pejorative expression. To wit;

Dutch Treat
This is one of several derisive terms referring to the Dutch. Dutch treat is an Americanism dating to the 1880s. It refers to the supposed Dutch trait of being miserly. The adverbial form go Dutch dates to 1914.

We could talk about "Mexican Standoff" next if you desire. Did you use that expression at dinner too? How about the French or the Germans? I really know how to insult them. Italians are real easy to.....well, I think you get the idea. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom