Walmart seeks zoning for new super center near Disney World

Goofyernmost

Sorry but--perhaps not surprisingly given that I don't believe you live within 30 miles of WDW--you're completely wrong. Plenty of young professionals are choosing to move to this area. There is unprecedented building (seriously, I can't imagine even the early 70s were at current levels), most of which is apartments starting at $1,200. Professionals are fleeing downtown, which is underbuilt, looking for places they can afford to live. Now is the ideal time for Osceola to entice better-paying businesses to the area; their potential employees are already moving here, offer them an easier commute, and pay lower taxes than downtown or up north.

Just because you spend two weeks a year or whatever in a DVC condo, don't presume you know the Orlando area.
I suppose you are correct, but, I don't think I have to live there 365 to see what it is like in the area, at least twice a day, but, usually all day. The Theme Parks do not take days off and lately, from what the locals are saying it is busier then ever. I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that it adds up to hassle getting in or out of that area any day of the week. I know if I were looking to locate a business not related to the tourist trade or the service of theme parks, I wouldn't even consider it without massive breaks in taxes, etc. If that area did that, what possible help would it be to the county other then drawing in more people to clog the highways. As I say, you could be correct, however, to me it would not make any sense to do that.

PS. I am not a resident of there, but, I have been there 45 times in the last 32 years. Most of them have been during the slower seasons. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to picture what goes on during the high seasons. No DVC's, I stay on 192 almost exclusively. I don't hide onsite... I kind of like the real world and it's challenges.

PhotoDave219

I suppose you are correct, but, I don't think I have to live there 365 to see what it is like in the area, at least twice a day, but, usually all day. The Theme Parks do not take days off and lately, from what the locals are saying it is busier then ever. I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that it adds up to hassle getting in or out of that area any day of the week. I know if I were looking to locate a business not related to the tourist trade or the service of theme parks, I wouldn't even consider it without massive breaks in taxes, etc. If that area did that, what possible help would it be to the county other then drawing in more people to clog the highways. As I say, you could be correct, however, to me it would not make any sense to do that.

PS. I am not a resident of there, but, I have been there 45 times in the last 32 years. Most of them have been during the slower seasons. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to picture what goes on during the high seasons. No DVC's, I stay on 192 almost exclusively. I don't hide onsite... I kind of like the real world and it's challenges.

I get that but what I'm talking about is the local economy as a whole. There's very few well-paying jobs in the area; everything is service industry or is Disney/Universal.

Meanwhile you have apartments people cannot afford. You have a ridiculous amount of homeless & mentally ill in the motels of 192. You have a serious economic problem and more jobs that don't pay the rent are simply not the answer.

What I'm saying is that due to cheap land, a large college educated workforce (all those CPs that don't leave), a glut of available housing, and Osceola county's location, they should be really pushing for companies to invest there. They need jobs so they can start cleaning up 192. They need to invest and push for a more developed economy.

roj2323

While this conversation has been interesting I'm now failing to see how this has anything to do with disney or WDW. If this conversation is left to continue we really can't stop someone from talking about other businesses that are off property but "near by". I mean I really enjoyed trying a new chain restaurant that opened in crossroads last week but I'm not about to start a thread about it because it's not DWD related.

Goofyernmost

While this conversation has been interesting I'm now failing to see how this has anything to do with disney or WDW. If this conversation is left to continue we really can't stop someone from talking about other businesses that are off property but "near by". I mean I really enjoyed trying a new chain restaurant that opened in crossroads last week but I'm not about to start a thread about it because it's not DWD related.
It has relevance to Disney because it is the end result of Disney being where it is. Before Walt showed up there was probably no specific economy of the area other then farming. This is the result of making it a tourist destination. All the tourist areas that I remember seeing are not able to support big time industry. Think about the last coastal area you can remember that had major high paying industries. There may be a few, but very few. Like the days when they were building the Hoover Dam, poor people flocked to the area, worked their butts off for very little wages, because they had no other skills. They took over the area until the project was done then left. The only big outcome of that was Vegas. I'll bet that there aren't many big pay jobs there either except for the owners and managers.

I have no knowledge about Anaheim, but, I'll bet that they have their share of those problems as well. The difference is that they are situated close to areas of high tech businesses, but, probably not that much in Anaheim itself. That is just opinion, I haven't taken the time to look it up, just a guess. My guess is that Anaheim is a sort of bedroom community where most residents commute from there to work, not to there for work other then the parks. I know that the one time I was there, I don't remember seeing much of anything other then highways, hotels and restaurants.

lazyboy97o

I get that but what I'm talking about is the local economy as a whole. There's very few well-paying jobs in the area; everything is service industry or is Disney/Universal.

Meanwhile you have apartments people cannot afford. You have a ridiculous amount of homeless & mentally ill in the motels of 192. You have a serious economic problem and more jobs that don't pay the rent are simply not the answer.

What I'm saying is that due to cheap land, a large college educated workforce (all those CPs that don't leave), a glut of available housing, and Osceola county's location, they should be really pushing for companies to invest there. They need jobs so they can start cleaning up 192. They need to invest and push for a more developed economy.
All of which means displacing the current residents (voters) who will have to seek affordable housing further away from their jobs, pushing back them further into poverty as more of their income goes into transportation.

Uncle Lupe

@ford91exploder

I need to work on quotes with phone
Regarding post that suggested most full time Walmart employees are on govr assistance.

Do you have numbers to backup that claim? There has been a BIG change in leadership at Walmart. They recognize that there pay structure needed an overhaul. When they changed other retailers have quickly followed. There is more to come. The positives of Walmart never get the attention like the bad.
Walmart jobs are only dead end if YOU make them. Plenty of opportunities to move up quickly in Walmart.

I just hope Greg Foran or Doug Mcmillen does not get run off for investing in the people and the stores and not just lining investores pockets.

Last edited:

TyrantBoss

It has relevance to Disney because it is the end result of Disney being where it is. Before Walt showed up there was probably no specific economy of the area other then farming. This is the result of making it a tourist destination. All the tourist areas that I remember seeing are not able to support big time industry. Think about the last coastal area you can remember that had major high paying industries. There may be a few, but very few. Like the days when they were building the Hoover Dam, poor people flocked to the area, worked their butts off for very little wages, because they had no other skills. They took over the area until the project was done then left. The only big outcome of that was Vegas. I'll bet that there aren't many big pay jobs there either except for the owners and managers.

I have no knowledge about Anaheim, but, I'll bet that they have their share of those problems as well. The difference is that they are situated close to areas of high tech businesses, but, probably not that much in Anaheim itself. That is just opinion, I haven't taken the time to look it up, just a guess. My guess is that Anaheim is a sort of bedroom community where most residents commute from there to work, not to there for work other then the parks. I know that the one time I was there, I don't remember seeing much of anything other then highways, hotels and restaurants.

Yeah, I'm not a moderator, and I don't care much for the board police....but you are just ranting. That has nothing to do with the original topic.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, I'm not a moderator, and I don't care much for the board police....but you are just ranting. That has nothing to do with the original topic.
Differing opinions are always welcome, even if they are wrong. ;)

Since the topic had no relevance to anything really, it was actually more of an announcement that changed from a situation that had nothing to do with WDW in the beginning, to how the county needed to do something about attracting other industry, to why I didn't think that would be possible because of it's proximity to WDW, to how it wasn't relevant or connected to Disney at all, concluding with why it was indeed relevant to Disney due to them being the driving force behind what that area became. So really it should have stopped at the first post with possibly one more simply stating..."so what?" and just moved on. That, however, would have made for a pretty dead discussion board. Second rant over..!!!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
@ford91exploder

I need to work on quotes with phone
Regarding post that suggested most full time Walmart employees are on govr assistance.

Do you have numbers to backup that claim? There has been a BIG change in leadership at Walmart. They recognize that there pay structure needed an overhaul. When they changed other retailers have quickly followed. There is more to come. The positives of Walmart never get the attention like the bad.
Walmart jobs are only dead end if YOU make them. Plenty of opportunities to move up quickly in Walmart.

I just hope Greg Foran does not get run off for investing in the people and the stores and not just lining investores pockets.

We can start with The Forbes article on how Wal Mart workers use 6.2 Billion in public assistance funds.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...t-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/

And this where it finds that that the presence of a wal mart cuts aggregate retail wages in its service area

http://www.ilsr.org/walmart-depresses-wages-study-finds/

Now when Sam Walton was alive this was not the case,

Uncle Lupe

We can start with The Forbes article on how Wal Mart workers use 6.2 Billion in public assistance funds.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...t-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/

And this where it finds that that the presence of a wal mart cuts aggregate retail wages in its service area

http://www.ilsr.org/walmart-depresses-wages-study-finds/

Now when Sam Walton was alive this was not the case,

The Forbes article assumes EVERY employee is on govt assistance. That is simply not true. However it is a government study so lying is expected.

The other article was when Walmart wanted to enter Chicago and they wanted to implement a mandatory wage but only on what they called big box retailers of any kind. Walmart just built in the surrounding suburbs and started to bus people from food deserts the their stores. I seem to notice more retailers and services come into an area where high traffic is generated by a big retailer. I would rather see manufacturing jobs be created with a booming economy.

Helen was the driving force for Sam to do anything that went against the bottom line. I saw it from the inside. When she passed everything started to change rapidly. From conducting retail business to benefits.

These new stores are going to be cash cows. Even my store in Podunk Ohio pulls 80 million plus in sales. If these tourist stores are that packed as people say then 200 million in sales would be possible and a good reason to bulid more.

Mouse_Trap

You would think that but we that happen all the time up here. Like 6 Dunkin Donuts with 3 miles. Two CVS's within one mile, etc. Two Targets on the same road.

It's always amazes me how many identical stores can be placed within such close proximity, especially on the 192.

Regarding the parcel shipping.... That could work out really well! There are lots of items in the UK, namely Cadbury's chocolate (not the same as the stuff made in the USA by Hershey's under licence) the real thing, people export that from the UK to the USA all the time. Would be great to have a board for UK / USA export exchange. I guess there would be other things like PG tips tea bags that we can get much cheaper here.

Unfortunately, it seems Cadbury's quality has declined since being purchased by Hurshey. Their chocolate taste like crap, it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to value manufacture Cadbury's products down to the much lower level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom