Walmart seeks zoning for new super center near Disney World

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
Here you go.

Walmart Stores is seeking a zoning change from Osceola County for a new super-center store location just south of Walt Disney World, according to county records.
The 24.6-acre site is at North Old Lake Wilson Road near U.S. Highway 192, just a few miles south of Disney property. The property is currently owned by Oakwater Development Corporation.

The board of county commissioners is set to consider final approval of the zoning change to Commercial Tourist zone from Planned Development.

Walmart couldn’t be reached immediately for comment on the rezoning Wednesday. The company has 348 location in Florida currently, including 219 super centers.

If built, it would be the nearest Walmart to Disney property. Currently, the two nearest Walmart locations are at 550 U.S. Highway 27 in Clermont, and at 3250 Vineland Road in Kissimmee.

County staff and the county’s planning commission have already approved the zoning change. The board’ meeting to consider the zoning change, among other things, is at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, in the board chambers on the fourth floor of the County Administration Building, 1 Courthouse Square, Suite 4100 in Kissimmee.

The applicant is Walmart Stores -East LP, according to the county documents.

roj2323

This must be to the replace the Walmart that is currently on 535 just north of 192. I can't imagine them building a second store within 3 miles of another one otherwise.

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
This must be to the replace the Walmart that is currently on 535 just north of 192. I can't imagine them building a second store within 3 miles of another one otherwise.
I can't see the Walmart on 535 closing because it's always so busy and I would think a lot of their customers are tourists.

Also don't forget there is another Walmart located at Turkey Lake Road which I would say is 10-15 minutes away from their location at 535 and both are open today.

Next Big Thing

It's needed. From what i've heard, the Wal-mart on 535 is the busiest in the US and you certainly can tell as soon as you walk in. There's never a time when that place isn't packed. I went in at about 4am once for something and you would've swore it was midday with the amount of people in there.

BrerJon

You get a vast amount of overseas tourists visiting nearby Wal-Marts so they're always jam packed with huge lines. Opening a new one on 192 would be a much needed release valve for that and make Wal-Mart a ton of money, so it's a very sensible move.

IMFearless

Also traffic on Vineland is always so bad, you have to consider how many people arriving via DME just withhold going to Walmart in a taxi, who would otherwise take a trip if it was nearer.

Taking the argument to the extreme, if Walmart was available at the entrance to Magic Kingdom they would no doubt be extremely busy in comparison to being further away. Essentially, every inch closer to Disney is going to make the store busier. Does anyone have a map to show exactly where this will be?

IMFearless

And again, speaking as a UK resident there a number of things we can only get in the USA...

Corn Syrup, Advil in packs larger than 16, Vanilla pudding mix, Reese's Fastbreaks; to be fair I could live without these things (in fact I would probably extend my lifespan considerably) so they are hardly essentials, but I always pick these things up while I'm over.

For anyone flying in there's the whole liquid thing, so on a longer trip it's nice to have soda, milk, beer in the room.

DisneyDadFL

Doubt the one on 535 would close anytime soon considering how busy it is. They just built an addition to expand the liquor store at this location also. Definitely always busy in there and nothing scarier than pulling into the parking lot and seeing a couple of buses full of tour groups unloading!

Fe Maiden

And again, speaking as a UK resident there a number of things we can only get in the USA...

Corn Syrup, Advil in packs larger than 16, Vanilla pudding mix, Reese's Fastbreaks; to be fair I could live without these things (in fact I would probably extend my lifespan considerably) so they are hardly essentials, but I always pick these things up while I'm over.

For anyone flying in there's the whole liquid thing, so on a longer trip it's nice to have soda, milk, beer in the room.

No corn syrup or vanilla pudding? The UK sounds like an absolutely dreadful place.

dstrawn9889

It could be the new concept that is coming to my home town... i have TWO walmart groceries being built in Warner Robins. that will compete with the TWO super center walmarts already in town. now, WR can be crossed in 10 minutes, so i dont think they have a problem placing them three miles apart, as long as there is a certain amount of $$ PSF in the units already

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom