IMG_9309.jpg

Some of the lights were on inside the building this weekend

IMG_9984.jpg

A closer look reveals the murals and "seaweed" chandeliers

IMG_9961.jpg

Very pretty!

IMG_9986.jpg

TP2000

My love for this building grows with every passing day.

Me too. I was kinda worried a few months ago, but with the detail additions and painting they've been doing in the last few weeks it's really come together. Pictures don't do it justice though, you have to see it and walk around it in person.

I can't wait for the walls to come down!

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Editor's Note 4/19-20: The lights were kept on all weekend inside DCA's new Little Mermaid ride, and for good reason; it's just completed its official "72 Hour Test," an important part of the final checks WDI does on any new ride. With help from the newly trained ride operators, the clamshells were kept running constantly to see what operational issues pop up under heavy use. There's barely a month to go until Cast Member Previews begin, and things are looking good inside and out. - Al Lutz
http://miceage.micechat.com/

TP2000

The show building actually looks pretty huge. This is an exact clone coming to WDW correct?

Pretty much. The exteriors are obviously very different, and the queues are very different because WDW's will have Fastpass while DCA's will not offer Fastpass. Similarly, the load/unload areas are a bit different between the two.

But once you get in the clamshell vehicle itself, the two rides should be identical. Or, at least there hasn't been any info that says they would be different.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
A few days ago the Disney Parks Blog posted a meet up opportunity for The Little Mermaid-Ariel's Undersea Adventure.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...dventure-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Now we’re inviting you to join us for a very special meet-up, featuring Walt Disney Imagineers Lisa Girolami, Larry Nikolai and Chris Crump from the attraction’s creative team, as well as Walt Disney animators Andreas Deja and Mark Henn who worked on the animated feature film on which the attraction is based. Their tales will also be featured in an article in the May issue of D23 Magazine.

Today through April 28 at 11:59 p.m. (PDT), you can enter for a chance to attend our meet-up.
Those selected will be among an exclusive group at our panel discussion with the Walt Disney Imagineers and animators. The meet-up will be held May 10 at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. The team is still hard at work getting Scuttle, Sebastian and their friends ready to perform, so you will NOT be able to ride or visit the attraction

sponono88

New pictures from the Dateline Disneyland update:

The entrance marquee has been installed but is currently covered up by a curtain

P1014777.jpg

The popcorn lights under the archway were turned on this weekend -- looks really nice!

P1014649.jpg

A side view of the building, construction work continues outside in the queue area

P1014662.jpg

sponono88

TLM update and another look at the building at night (5/2/11)

IMG_1883.jpg

New lights under the queue canopy, as well as new decorative seashells

IMG_1924.jpg

The building at night, with some of its lights on. They have been working on testing/adjusting all the lights

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

The stained glass window is lit up as well

IMG_1671.jpg

The entrance marquee is still covered up

IMG_1581.jpg

The load area and mural inside the building

IMG_1506-1.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

all pictures from the new Dateline Disneyland update

dweezil78

Looks fantastic all lit up at night!!! Certainly a far cry from the Borders-ish look that everyone was ranting about just a short while ago.

TP2000

Looks fantastic all lit up at night!!! Certainly a far cry from the Borders-ish look that everyone was ranting about just a short while ago.

I've been participating in online Disney theme park forums since the old alt.disney.disneyland usenet days of 1997. And in those nearly 15 years :eek: chatting online about Disneyland, one of my absolute favorite things is when kids (and they are almost always kids under the age of 25) judge a facade or facility during the construction process several months before it is completed. I absolutely LOVE that!

They are almost always proven wrong, and almost always made to look like one-dimensional thinkers with blinders on who know absolutely nothing about modern construction, art design, or themed set design. But God bless 'em, every year a new batch of precious little ones comes forth with their confident predictions four months before opening day that such-and-such looks ugly, or this thing looks bland, or this element is crooked and poorly designed. It provides endless amusement.

And take it from a wisened old curmedgeon like me... about a hundred yet unseen details will be added to this Mermaid facility in the final three weeks of May, really putting it over the top. Fluttering flags, swooping banners, backlit signage, hidden lighting effects, pretty flowers, manicured shrubs, costumed ride operators, specific music in the queue and entry, etc., etc., etc.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Early Cast Member Previews-
Before official Cast previews theres a few Cast Members that have already expericnced the attraction theres a few reviews in the thread below-
http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...ember-previews-little-mermaid-attraction.html

Grand Opening Details-
Inside the Magic was sent a media invite heres a look at the line up of events. More importantly the one for Little Mermaid.
http://www./2011/05/video-preview-d...yland-hotel-upgrades-during-big-media-splash/
Thursday, June 2, 2011
3:30 pm Premiere of the Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
6:30 pm Premiere of Mickey’s Soundsational Parade
7:30 pm Party at the Disneyland Hotel

Friday, June 3, 2011
9:30 am Premiere of Star Tours -- The Adventures Continue
11:00 am “What’s Next” Presentation

Nicole220

Looks like some people can't keep their mouths shut...just sayin'.

I can't wait till the walls come down. :) There are too many walls in the poor park.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
The Disney Parks Blog has a great new video, with some of the original animators of the movie getting a look at the attraction.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...traction-at-disney-california-adventure-park/
I know “The Little Mermaid” fans have been eagerly awaiting the opening of The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure at Disney California Adventure park. I’ve been waiting since I first saw the movie back in 1989! There are three other people who’ve also been hoping that someday a Little Mermaid attraction would open at Disney Parks: legendary Disney animators Glen Keane, Mark Henn and Andreas Deja. These three talented men are some of the creative minds behind all those lovable characters in the movie.
[youtube]py9Gfuhhf20[/youtube]

See the full story at the link-
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...traction-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom