Walk Through Exhibit?

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Weather Works

I saw that a walk through was listed as part of the Weather Pavilion, so here is an idea I had, in-between massive amounts of PhysicsII and Calc II assignments:

How about a interactive-educational exhibit area themed about "How weather happens", you could carry over the theme form Weatherific and theme this area to be like a Weather Lab, in fact the ride could exit into this area....

Name: Weather Works

Basic layout: 10-15 interactive kiosks that show how weather happens

Example:

Rain Cycle kiosk

Control panel with a start button, then a few feet back a very large shadow box with faux clouds and clear piping. The bottom of the box would be filled with water, a voice could come over explaining that when the sun heats the water in the seas and lakes, the water evaporates and travels up ward. Faux sun lights and the mist id given off by the sea, and the water level drops slightly and one of the piping begins to fill with fog and has traveling light following the path of the initial fog front. Explains condensation and fiber optics clouds begin to form, voice explains rain, and rain appears to fall out of the newly formed clouds and then the clouds dislove and the rain fall dwindles and stops proportionally to the amount of fiber optics in the cloud lit, the water level raises slightly, end of show. :)

There could also be tunnels separating the areas of the kiosks in which guests could walk through and experience different weather climates, I dunno though the "experience" effect may seem rather redundant though considering the other attractions.

What do ya'll think, suggestions more ideas?

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Yes, sir, Chad, Sir, lol

anyways here is a overview diargam of the general layout, the area will be split up into 5 labs: I will most more ideas for the Kiskos over the next couple of days :)

Attachments

• lab layout.jpg
    lab layout.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 96

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Temperature Lab: also thinking that there could multiple duplicates of the kiosks so more guests could interact with them that being said here is the layout and description of the temperature lab.

Temperatures around the world Kiosk:

This kiosk would have a giant "real-looking" globe. The intro would be that it explain the different scales that places use to scale temperature, then the globe would light up talking about the poles and the equator and how they are the temperature extremes of the earth, then a joystick would light up on the control panel, and the guest would be able to rotate the globe to lit areas, and then the kiosk would read the temperature and would blow air of that temperature onto the guest. After the guest had experience 4-5 different locations the kiosk would shut down, and reset.

Changing temperature Area:

These would be little different here would be several large play areas with large map of the united states where guests could push along tracks large "front symbols" along the track there would be sensors that would then control the temperature of the room depending on how the fronts were moved, meanwhile a large overhead voice would be explaining what effects the guests actions were having.

Altitude Temperature Kiosk:

Here the gusts would sit in a small cubical where they would closed into a fake helicopter cockpit, the screen in front of them would show them gradually increasing in altitude and up passed the base of the mountain and a little bit past the snowy peak, meanwhile it would explain the higher you go the temperature drops, and the temperature in the cockpit would accordingly proportionally drop ( a 30 degree real drop might be 3 degree drop in the cockpit's temp) Finally near the end the glass that has been between the guests and the screen which is really an LCD screen would crystallize, simulating your windshield has iced over at your extreme altitude, so you come back down, and it would go away. end of show

Attachments

• temperature lab.jpg
    temperature lab.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 96

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Cloud Lab

This area seperates the Rain Lab form the Snow lab and deals focally on clouds, it was needed for an area to place in a fog kisok and to just talke about clouds in general regardless of percipitaion.

Fog Kiosk:

This exhibit starts off with a short video on a screen about how fog forms, then the screen lowers to reveal a diarama of a steet, diffent objects light up at specfic modeled distances from the guestsThen fog begins to fill the diarama. The fog get's denser in stages the viablity will decreas in stages and the lighted objects will turn off to give the effect of decreasing visiblity.( so like the fog will be thin and visiblity will be like 70 yards and an object at the end of the box will fo out, then the fog will get denser to simulate visiblity of 50 yards, and then the next clasest object will go out and so on till 0 visiblity)

Cloud Climber:

THis will be essential an educational jungle gym. Basically just a mulit level play aea that each level is a level of the atmosphere that has clouds that would be found there moddled on that level, on each level will snsors that when past will light up screens with the name of the cloud type and a voice will give a breif descirption, then to get back down will be a spiral cloud themed slide.

here is the layout:

Attachments

• cloud lab.jpg
    cloud lab.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 96

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Rain/Storm Lab

Rain Lab: Okay it is really more of the Rain/Storm lab, but it just seems more concise to call it the rain lab.

Rain Cycle Kiosk:

See first post

Monsoon Exhibit:

Large tank that simulates a monsoon, every 5-10 minutes. The tank it's self would basically be a large fish tank basically, and it would be filled with a false tropical environment. First a brief vocal over view would be given about monsoons, then the simulation would take place.

Flood Flats:

This would be an actual show that would take place every 20 mins
It would have seating facing a large diorama area, of a townside river, then rains, leading to the river flooding, would be given a step by step coverage of how flooding happens.

Thunder Storm Kiosks:

These would be very similar to the rain cycle kiosks in that they would display the process in which thunder storms happen in the same shadow box atmosphere. Here it would uses fiber optics to show the forming of a "storm" cloud and discuss how these are different from normal rain clouds. Then using fake rain, flashes of light and thunder sounds, along with the actual area the guests is standing on vibrating at the time of thunder, the storm cloud would eventually receded, and the show would start over.

Here is an over view:

Attachments

• rain lab.jpg
    rain lab.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 88

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Snow Lab

Snow Lab:

Snow Fall Kiosks:

Kiosks set up similar to the rain and storm ones, but these deal with the creation of snowfall, initial using small fountains to shoot water droplets up and down, then slowly progressing to suing fans and small foam particles to represent the snow.

Hail Kiosks:

Initial voice overview on how hail forms via a small video screen on the control panel, next the shadow box ahead start to drop fake plastic hail onto a diorama, the diorama will react with simulated damage as the hail increases in size, the small video monitor will keep track of the increasing size of the hail and will shoe 3-d diagrams of the hail structure.

Blizzard Exhibit:

Small nearly circular exhibit that simulates a blizzard every 5- 10 mins. Features a field landscape then fill several feet with faux snow in a matter of mins.

Ice Kiosks:

Small kiosks that simulate water freezing into ice, through the use fiber optics what a tank of water will slowly freeze into ice and expand slightly, form the guests perception, the water which will actually be a gel inside the tanks though will have fiber optics in the glass between the guests and the water, these optics will slowly activate to show crystallization patterns, and then eventual all of the glass will be covered in light fiber optics that extend above the gel area, as ice get's less dense when it freezes.

Snow Flake Garden:

Play area made completely of giant snowflakes that descriptively show off their crystal patterns.

Here is an overview of the area:

Attachments

• snow lab.jpg
    snow lab.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 84

WeirdOne

This is very good FigmentDream. I love it, although, it would be cool if like all of this was a small town (like old-style) and then the exhibits revolved around changes in the town. Keep all the exhibits and areas, but do a small redesgin. Like, near the middle of the town would be the cloud playarea showing of fthe clouds, etc, etc. I hope you understand what I am saying. Like thme it around changes in this small town but still have the same layout. Incorporate that theme into this. Again, just my idea, I think it makes it more interesting that way. - The WeirdOne :D

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Yes, Sorry, I read your post in here yesterday, but I also wanted to finish the Wind lab before I responded to any thing else. I see where you are coming from on this, and it would add a better overall tying theme to the area, and tie together the several areas where environmental models are used in the demonstrations, it would also give a better story line however there are several problems brought up by the few it solves:

1) The control panels, voice overs and explanations would seem rather out of place just randomly happening in a town setting

2)Being able to climb through clouds and climb over giant snowflakes could be more easily explained in Lab theme, ex. you are shrunk and sent into a snow storm, or you walk though an anti-gravity field so you are lighter than air, this would be hard to tie in with a town theme

3) the environmental dioramas are not that out of place in a lab environment especially if the theming around them is such that it is obvious that these are controlled environments.

With that considered and weighing the pro and cons it would seem at least to me that the Lab theme is the most appropriate.

Wind Lab:

Wind Kiosks:

This will be more similar to the fog ones, after a description of how wind is formed on a video screen, the screen will lower to display a diorama of a street filled with flags, leafed trees and other loose items that could easily be effected by wind. Wind will start blowing at a light wind and increases in intensity to taking off tree limbs. Through out a small screen above the window, will be displaying the wind speed.

Hurricane Exhibit:

Vary similar to the Monsoon exhibit except this will show the effects of a hurricane on a small town/ this exhibit will run though every 20-25 mins because of a longer reset time and a more complex show. The exhibit will start off dark and there will be a holographic show of how hurricanes are formed. Then the systems for the show will lower and the scenery will raise and a shallow pool will com across covering the projection area. Then the effects show will begin, and the damage of a hurricane will be simulated in the dockside town.

Tornadoes Kiosks:

These will show how tornadoes are made after a show on a screen, the screen will lower revealing blackness, in this blackness though will actually be your typical water vortex maker, here however as it begins to create the vortex, a laser will trace it's pattern for the viewer's too see.

Here is a overview:

Attachments

• wind lab.jpg
    wind lab.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 73

WeirdOne

ya, you do have a good point there. It does work a bit better in the environemtnal setting. I like all of the labs. I think that walkthrough is essentially done, thanks to you. I love how well this is, kinda like the old ImageWorks in the Journey Into Imagination pavillion. This is really great figmentdream. - The WeirdOne :D

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Thanks WeirdOne,

I can see a few minor changes in operation I might make but the basic layout is complete, to my standards at least. One thing that is going to need to be changed is the Changing Temperature Exhibits area going to need to have individual mild air cannons on the ceilings that will shoot down air of the corresponding temperature that the guests have created by their front combinations in that region, also then due to the complexity of the temperature mixes, rather than having announcements or screens tell the temperatures, rather projectors also above the map will project the corresponding temperature onto the map.

Their may be some other things like that I want to change, but it is late and I can mot remember them now.... I am still open to any suggestions other might have... I am also debating a small addational area called the Pressure Lab since Air Pressure is such an intricate part of weather, but I was unable to think up any type of kiosk or exhibit that would really be that interesting or unique to add, If I think of something though I will just probably add it to the Wind Lab section.

Again Thanks, WeirdOne, and I am still open to any other further suggestions

WeirdOne

I personally love these ideas figmentdream. They look like so much fun. As for airpressure, leave that out. No real need for it. And the snow lab can have snow falling (like on Main Street during X-mas).This is a great idea figmentdream. Add some more fun exhibits too. Like, more interaction between you and the co,mputer. Not just words and effects. Make like a quiz at the end and if you get a question wrong (it starts pouring, or hail, or a giant snowflake on the head!) - The WeirdOne :D

FigmentDream

Original Poster
I like the idea about the snow falling, we could have that happening in the entrance to the snow lab.

I also like the idea of quizzing the guests, here is what I am thinking, at the end of each lab their would be several quiz kiosks. These kiosks would ask you multiple choice questions about information that was presented in the area. Prior to entering Weather Works, there would be stations in which guests would set up their quiz accounts, they would then first access them, prior to answering the questions so that their score could be kept from kiosk to kiosk. Then at the end of the exit of Weather Works, guests could cash in their accumulate points for prizes, in order to keep this finically sound the majority of the prizes would be coupons for merchandise and food around the park, maybe increasing for 10% of in the lower tiers to 30% off in the middle tiers. This might be a good way for Disney to get traffic into some of their lesser visited stores or restaurants. Then in the upper tiers their could be small merchandise prizes probably pins and hats or something. In attempt to prevent different forms of cheating their would be time limits to answer the questions. I am not so sure about penalizing the guests by spraying them with different elements, though I think that could get rather problematic. If something like this was really deemed necessary guests could have their pictures digitally taken when they set up their account, and the computer could manipulate their picture, with humors consequences.

WeirdOne

LOL! That is hilarious. I think that guests should just type in their name and that should keep score from kiosk to kiosk, accounts would be really difficult. I love the picture manipulation. LOL! ROTFLMAO! I totally love these labs - The WeirdOne :D

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Originally posted by WeirdOne
LOL! That is hilarious. I think that guests should just type in their name and that should keep score from kiosk to kiosk, accounts would be really difficult. I love the picture manipulation. LOL! ROTFLMAO! I totally love these labs - The WeirdOne :D

The "account" could be as simple as what you descirbed, guests would enter a username and a password at the entry station, then enter that same combo at each kiosk, and the computers would keep track of the results under that combo of input after the last kiosk it would earse that combo from it's memory, this maybe somewhat complex, but it is needed to keep "people" seperate.

WeirdOne

Well, In that case, I say that this idea for the storm pavillion has been GREEN LIGHTED, eh? LOL! Well, back to WeatherIfic! - The WeirdOne :D

FigmentDream

Original Poster
Just wondering, how many entrances we want to this, do you guys think it would be a good idea too exit from WetherIfic! into Weather Works? Or woudl that be too much of a trafic flow, problem, BTW is there a layout for the whole pavilion yet?

WeirdOne

um, we do have a basic pavillion layout for this under one fo the topics, it is described in there.

Yes, we need to have it exit into Weather Works and it will have one entrance.

- The WeirdOne :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom